What do you take for anxiety besides SSRI's?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Jan 2, 2006.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hello,

I have been on numerous SSRI's for anxiety, nothing seems to work even if my doc ups the dose. What could I try to take the edge off? I have chestpains on and off because of this. Thanks Krissy
  2. JQP

JQP New Member

Not being able to take SSRI's because of hallucinations, I started taking Valerian Root (450mg each capsule). I take two at night (as well as Zolpidem), and add additional ones during the day when the anxiety takes over, but I would start with one at night..Friend also takes them instead of diazepam.

I have recently learnt it is as good as Lorazepam (Ativan) but has none of the addictive qualities. I've been taking it for over two years now, and have reduced the dose rather than upping it.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have horrible anxiety and agoraphobia..Have tried many antidepressants but couldn't tolerate the side effects, in fact they seemed to make my anxiety worse..The natural supplements didn't work for me..

I was finally given xanax and have been on it for 5 years..I am not very functional as it but without it I would be housebound..I take .25 mg four time a day and have been on that dose for about 4 years. If I have more stress etc..I can take more if needed...

Good luck to you..
    greatgran
  4. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

I don't have Post traumatic stress or pain attacks. I just feel edgy all of the time. My doc won't give Xanax or anything in that class because I might become pregnant. So I'm limited on what I can take.

ANy more suggestions?
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...you know, I think sometimes less is more. A lot of my patients were not seeing results as they were started off too high. Personally, for both anxiety, sleep and muscle relaxer(plus has calming effect on neural pathways) I take only 2mg diazapam, usually once a day, if stressful day twice. This is a real baby dose, but it works, whereas nothing else or higher doses don't work. Same with most meds even Aprin, two baby asprin seem to work better than big ones. Diazapam is also really cheap being an old drug. In the "trade" we all know there is not a great deal of difference between these old meds and the new.

For panic attacks that old trick of breathing into a brown paper sack really helps due to chemical changes by breathing one's own breath.

SAMe used to be calming for me when I took it but I find it is too expensve. Just talking with a friend helps a good deal, so one is not alone with panic thoughts. Does your MHA locally have a crisis line you could call?

Be well, Love Cromwell
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

If you had it confirmed that your cortisol level is high and this is causing the 'edgy' feeling, you could try a supplement called Seriphos. It is supposed to turn off the HPA axis in overdrive, and I know that it helped me (however, I was on SSRIs at the time for anxiety/depression, and the SSRI was working fine).
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SSRI's can actually exacerbate the seizure activity in the brain which could increase anxiety. I take Klonopin for anxiety, sensory overload, muscle spasms, insomnia, and tinnitus.

Cheney claims the Klonopin prevents premature of the neurons in the brain from the seizure activity. Note that all the SSRI patient info says to tell one's doc if one has seizures. Most of us don't have seizures but we do have seizure activity which can cause anxiety.

Love, Mikie
  8. karen_dean

karen_dean New Member

Just to add..and my "heart" literally goes out to you!!...I have to respond and agree with Mikie...I posted awhile back..my anxiety was so high..fear..etc..everything possible that goes along with panic attacks...my life was going out of control because of this..I got great responses for klonopin..I add been taking ativan for quite some time..since taking this drug(klonopin) for 6 weeks now..I can actually function..brain fog, confusion,anxiety etc..have sudsided 90%. I hope this helps and you ask your Dr. about it.

Take good care of you
    Blessings
    ~~~*Karen*~~~
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so glad the Klonopin is working out so well for you. For so many of us, it has literally been a miracle drug.

I'm not a big fan of taking any meds which alter brain chemistry but without the Klonopin, I could not function.

Love, Mikie
  10. gongee

gongee New Member

Hi
    I take 2 mg of Xanax XR in the morning and .25 mg short acting xanax at bedtime for anxiety/panic disorder. The Xanax XR is helping better than the short acting even though it is released slower into your body. It keeps everything more level. Doctor thinks I will eventually need 3mgs of the Xanax XR and no short acting, but she doesn't want to push it on me, because I am so sensitive to meds. Tried all the anti-depressants on the market with horrible side effects. At least with what I am taking now, I have no side effects whatsoever.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Krissy,

I don't know what would work for you...but I have had some REAL stressful situations...which brought on panic. I would even get the tremors.

I would take a klonopin... and in just a few minutes it would help me! It doesn't leave me with any side effects...just calms me down.

Have you ever tried it?
    I saw where another poster mentioned it.

Good luck....MamaR
  12. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

Rhodiala Rosea- Support for the bodys adaptogenic response to stress. I would ask my doctor before using it tho if you are on other drugs. This stuff is great. I have anxiety so bad that when my husband would drive over a bridge I would go into a screaming tensing holding on so tight crying anxiety attack. On this supplement I am not drugged up like all the anti depressants did I am just calmer more balanced in my moods and just plain old feel better. I ran out over Xmas and was broke and I suffered a lot. I now know for a fact it really works for me. I tried SamE and felt no difference, sometimes I do use Valerian when I am stressed or cant sleep and it does calm me.
  13. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Xanax in small doses throughout the day has helped me for years. I will probably be on it forever, as it helps my heart palpitations from going wild. I have mitral valve regurge and the cardiologist has me on Xanax to curb the excess adrenaline.

Tania
  14. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

l-theanine is an amino acid which helps your brain produce GABA, which is a natural tranquilizer in our brains. It is very calming. The Japanese spike a lot of products with l-theanine, saying it produces a state of calmp alertness. It helps produce alpha waves in the brain.

Also, as Juloo, mentioned, if your cortisol levels are high, this will make you feel edgy and anxious. A saliva test can tell what your levels are. Mine were high, and I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) and this helped a lot. It's not a prescription, not a tranquilizer, but it helped reduce my cortisol levels. But you shouldn't take it unless you know your cortisol levels are high, otherwise they can go too low.

Make sure you take enough calcium and magnesium, these are also calming and deficiencies can cause edginess.

Mary
  15. redtex

redtex New Member

i have been to 5 doctors and asked for klonopin and have been refused by all of them. i have assured them that i would not abuse or over use the drug but they just will not give them to me. i have tried them and they make me sleep much better and wake with a lot less pain. the doctors seem to be very reluctant to prescribe them to me. maybe it is the area of the country i live in. i guess i will keep trying but i am losing hope.i got a massage yesterday, BIG MISTAKE, i am really hurting today. anyone else had this kind of experience with doctors? redtex.
  16. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

I was put on Ativan which worked, but doesn;t last long. Today I went to the pain clinic & was put on Valium, which lasts longer & works better for me. Good luck