What do you take for osteoarthritis (OA)?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

My mother has this in her hands - they are very swollen and painful. She has to take care of my brother and it hurts her alot. The doc prescribed Motirn so far, but she heard anything else may alter her immune system.

She is otherwise healthy, so I do not think that should be a huge concern, but am not sure.

Can you please tell me what has worked for you for OA? She needs to do something about this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Hugs
    Kim
  2. rigby

rigby New Member

I have been on Lodine for my oa and my husband takes it for his chronic gout It has helped us Sharon
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you rigby... do you notice any side effects? Does it take away the swelling?

Hugs
    Kim
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

My hands are the worst part also. Shoulders, back, hips and on down. My neurologist, who is treating my migraines, gave me a prescription of Indomethicin but I can only take it 3 X a week. Those three days are usually my best days.

I am on alot of preventative meds for migraine and sleep meds so that is why I can only take the Indo 3X a week I suppose - to conserve my liver.

It is very cold in Texas right now. The cold always makes me hurt. The more I hurt, the more listless I become, till I am just a bump in the bed with two heating pads going.

5. BlackPanther

BlackPanther New Member

Hi Kim, Tell your mother I said hello. I take Osteo-Biflex with MSM, but am changing to the new one with the yellow on the label. I take 3 a day. It takes a couple of weeks to a month for noticable difference. I told my sister and best friend about it and they love it too. I have arthritis in just about all my joints, but the worst is feet, ankles knees, hands, and shoulders.

I buy it at K-Mart. They have it buy 1, get 1 free every couple of months, and I use a Sunday newspaper coupon which is usually $2 or $3 off. What it is is glucosomine with chondroitin and msm to get it to the bloodstream quicker. It is not hard on the stomach like the arthritis prescriptions. The only thing that would prevent a person from using it is an allergy to seafood.

Good Luck. Panther
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

I love my Osteo Bi-Flex! It is great...it took about a month, taking 3 a day, and I have no stomach upset or any liver problems from it like with the NSAIDS.

It makes my life so much more bearable!

I always know if I have missed even one tablet during the day; if I've been out of the house for a meal and didn't have my supplements with me.

Good luck! Oh, BTW, do a google search for ratings on arthritis supplements; I found a magnificent chart somewhere once; it named the best ones.

There's always hope!
    findmind
  7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks to ALL of YOU! Sounds liek she CAN get some relief which would be great!!

I really, really appreciate all of your help.

Hugs
    Kim
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Has anyone tried just taking MSM without the other. I read a report that said it is thought the MSM is the main preventative, and that tests where people were given the Glucosomine without MSm did no better, but taking the one with MSM did far better.

Any clues here. Who is just using MSM?

Love Annie Cromwell

Plus, I thought I was going nuts with the bone pain so it helps to know people here have the same pain as well as FM/CFS.