What do you take for pain that won't make you drunk?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Feb 24, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

My pain seems to be getting worse lately. Where I had only bruise type pain and soreness before has become (hopefully temporarily) sharp pain. I hurt so bad at work all day but had nothing to take other than Advil because that is all I usually take.

My husband has some Percocet from his shoulder surgery so I took one when I got home. Now I feel like I am drunk, meaning that I can't take this and drive or work, nor do I want to. So much for us being drug addicts...

The label says it is 5-325mg but I don't know what strength that would be. Does anyone take something for pain that really works but does not make you sleepy? I really don't want pain meds, but I really don't want this kind of pain either.

Thanks,
    Sonya
  2. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I think percocet is strong too - and I don't think you even have the strongest one!

I take Ultram, which doesn't make me feel drowsy like percocet, but I don't know if I would want to take them during the day. I only take one in the evenings.

Have you tried Skelaxin? That sometimes helps me and doesn't make me sleepy.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.
    Sue
  3. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

ultram helps me alot with the pain bruised up feeling etc.

some people it'll make them sleepy

but as for me a several others i know here, it actually helps wake me up, {except for those terrible weak sleepy days}it actually perks me up. I wouldn't count it out as of yet. Ask your doc for a script, then go to pharmacy and ask just for 2 days worth of it, then you'll know how you'll like it, then can buy the rest if it works for you.

If it wasn't for that i wouldn't be able to even pick my feet up to walk up stairs or walk period!!

take a chance for yourself! It's cheap too!

let me know later if you did.

hugs saph
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

800 mgs. of acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 8 hours, not to exceed 2400 mgs. in a 24 hour period; however, this is very hard on the liver and should not be done long term.

Taking extra magnesium helps. There are several products sold here which contain magnesium, one with magnesium and malic acid. The malic acid is derived from apples. Apples are very good for what ails us. The ZMA sold here is excellent and it helps with sleep which also helps with muscle repair.

I cannot do anything if I take opiods and I cannot tolerate Ultram. I will take Vicodin or Morphine if my pain starts going out of control because at a certain point, OTC meds just don't cut it. I like the Extra Strength Aspirin-Free Excedrin, especially for headaches.

Finally, soaking in an Epsom Salt bath really helps with pain. The Epsom Salts have magnesium in them and it is absorbed through the skin. Localized pain can have ice and heat applied, alternating between the heat and cold.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I thought the ultram wasn't working for me anymore. But once I got the pain under control with lortab for a few days, now the ultram works again.

I don't like how the lortab makes me feel when I take several doses in a row. I have to take something for nausea with it, but it does work on my pain.

Ultram doesn't make me sleepy, it has the opposite effect on me. I can't take it close to bedtime, or it interferes with my sleep.
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Now of course I can't remember what I said!!! LOL

Thanks to saphire27 for the great suggestion of getting just a couple of pills to try. I just hate to pay the $40 co-pay for the rhuemy for something I might not be able to take and then maybe have to do it again. :-(

I do not think the PCP will prescribe it if it is potentially "addictive" because he will not give me Xanax to take all the time or Klonopin because of that. I got the rhuemy to give me the Klonopin, even though he said it was "addictive" at first, because I only take .5mg and only at night. I have been on that dose for about 6 months. So much for addiction. I am not up to robbing stores to get it yet... :)

Thanks, Mikie, for the Tylenol advice. I have tried 4 at one time which is 1000 mg - no effect. I take 4 Advil at one time, but try not to take it more than once a day. After all, if it does not work the first time, why take it again? I take 4 ProEnergy in the AM and was taking ZMA at night but did not notice any effect from stopping.

I am not opposed to asking the rhuemy for suggestions, but know that I am better off to go in with some advice from you all. Face it, asking you all what works and what does not is like seeing all your doctors and trying all your remedies without running all over town!

And who knows better what works that us????

Love,
    Sonya
  7. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

The only thing that helps my pain is vicodin.I do nto have any side effects from it at all.Of course it is only a low dose of narcotic.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Do you take anything like Cymbalta or Neurotin?

Both of these meds help the fibro pain!

Hugs,
    Janet
  9. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

I was taking Vicodin along with Flexeril, and that helped me a lot...I would actually have energy and was able to get things done...now the doctor put me on Oxycontin, and cymbalta...I got really sick on it the fist day, so I have decided to take just the oxycontin, and then I will start the cymbalta next week. I do not think that the oxycontin was helping me...I was told that it takes a while because it has to build up a level in your system. It is more of a long term drug than vicodin. I did not know that I was taking too much vicodin, and that because of the tylenol in it could damage my liver. I know that I slept all day with the oxycontin. I am still on the flexeril.
  10. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I take Demerol for anything pain related, and side effect wise it doesn't phase me in the slightest.

My doctor told me awhile ago that I'd know if I took too high of a dose for what my pain level was at the time because of the really bad stupid drunk feeling I'd get.

I pretty much learned that way what doses were right for which pain.

Todays just been one of those days though, I'd LOVE for one of my pills to give me that drunk feeling again! lol

Maybe if the Percocet helped pain wise, you could try half a pill? It could just be that what you took was too high of a dose for you.

~Amanda
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

the this morning I took 1/2 of a Percocet and 2 Tylenol (500mg each) and it knocked out the pain completely and only left me feeling mildly sleepy but that wore off pretty quickly.

I took it about 9 AM and it is now after 3 PM and the pain has not come back in my legs and hips. I am a happy camper, but I do not think either doc will give me Percocet for pain, but my husband goes back to the Ortho tomorrow and I told him to as for another script. I don't know if he will or not.

I will look into getting something though.

Sonya
  12. deb06

deb06 New Member

I am on oxycodone and hydrocodone and neither make me at all sleepy. I take zanaflex at bedtime to sleep or during the day when I am really in pain with flares or migraines. Deb
  13. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

1/2 of the Percocet worked for pain, but now I am cramped up!!!!

Can't win for losing..

Sonya

[ advertisement ]