What do you take for sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Oct 2, 2002.

1. achy

achy New Member

I have FM/CF/EB/asthma, etc...
    At first I could fall asleep with no problem since I was exhausted, but I would wake up almost every hour, like I was just dozing on and off.
    My doc put me on Soma 6 months ago. It helped me get 2-4 hours of straight sleep, but I was still exhausted.
    If I take a xanax I sleep better, but still not all night.

What do you all take for sleep??
    Thanks
    Achy & tired in Fla
  2. achy

achy New Member

I have FM/CF/EB/asthma, etc...
    At first I could fall asleep with no problem since I was exhausted, but I would wake up almost every hour, like I was just dozing on and off.
    My doc put me on Soma 6 months ago. It helped me get 2-4 hours of straight sleep, but I was still exhausted.
    If I take a xanax I sleep better, but still not all night.

What do you all take for sleep??
    Thanks
    Achy & tired in Fla
  3. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Before my doc gave me this I could NEVER sleep. I would be up all night or on and off all night or sometimes a couple days at a time. Now I sleep quite well. I sleep thru the night and don't even wake up to go to the bathroom, but believe me it is a mad dash in the morning. lol

It helped me a lot. It would be worth checking in to.
    Good luck!
    Lanie
  4. JP

JP New Member

I take 20mgs of Amitriptyline an hour before bed time. Check out all the posts regarding this medicine. It works wonders for me and it was given to me for nerve pain (back)and insomnia. I have no side effects. I still wake up during the night and I am able to get right back to sleep.

Before the med, I would wake up about every 90 minutes, sometimes for hours, sometimes only 90 minutes of sleep a night. So, I am thrilled with the results of this med.

Good luck with your search for slumber,
    Jan
  5. sb439

sb439 New Member

Hi, I take lots of Valerian, half a Klonopin (Clonazepam), 5 mg Promethazine Hydrochloride (sedative anithistamine, over the counter in the UK, but not in the US) and 0.4 mg Melatonin, plus a sugerfree throat lozenge against dry mouth when falling asleep. (Plus lavender oil on the pillow, plus if things go very badly, 2 tylenol (paracetamol))

The mixture of Clonazepam and a sedative antihistamine fits in with Cheney's theory about sleeplessness in CFS (article on Clonazepam by Cheney is on the web), Valerian makes me feel nice when I go to sleep, also relieves pain a bit.

I tried various real sleeping pills, but they never made me feel I had restful sleep.

What helps, and what amount, differs vastly from person to person, it seems, and all one can do is really try things out.

Susanne
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2002]
  6. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I have taken xanax, which really does the trick, but I cannot take it too late at nite or I have trouble waking up of the morning. I also have taken norflex and flexerill, to relax me, which does work. I actually have just taken tylonel pm at times which seems like it works very good. Have not had to go on soma, ambien or some of the other "sleeping pills". I too have to be careful, anything makes me sleepy can cause restlass legs. So here I will be sooo sleepy, but walking the floors because my legs are twitching and I have to keep them moving.
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

10 mgs ambien and some magnesium. Also I do use my soma instead of my skelaxin at night, it does tend to make me drowsy. I need all the help I can get.

Jaci
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I take a nice, hot bubble bath and a good dose of Nick At Nite!

Marilyn :)
  9. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

10. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi ya Achy--I take 20 Mg. of Amitriptyline before bedtime--on fair days...and can increase it...when I need too...but havent had to, thus far. Seems to be doing a good job. Don't feel hung over in the morn.
    Karen
  11. dianep

dianep New Member

oops sorry but that darn yawn always sneaks in there...i take 10 mgs of ambien but only when the insomnia hits big time and thats usually if i don't get my nap in during the day, which for the most part is not a problem seeing thats all i want to do is sleep. It also helps by drinking a cup of hot tea just before i retire.
  12. ArtTeacher

ArtTeacher New Member

I understand the lack of sleep. I could be so physically exhausted but yet stay up until 2:00 in the morning. That's why we can't get HBO or the other movie channels because I'd be up until the sunrise watching movies. When I would finally go to bed I'd wake up every hour. I hated to check the clock because I knew it was only an hour later since I last checked it. Now I'm ecstatic when I wake up in the morning and I can see the sun coming up. Now I wake up once or twice and that would be because of my husband or my animals, not because of me. 4mg of zanaflex (muscle relaxer)a night does the trick. It puts me asleep about 30 - 60 minutes after I take it and lasts 4 hours. I needed to get use to it, at first I woke up halfway through and I hated the feeling. Now I'm sleeping like a baby. I'm also taking an anti-inflammatory so it helps keep my pain from waking me up. Take care.
  13. jeanann

jeanann New Member

there was Xanx, however, xanx is short acting only 4-6 hours i think. Then I tried Trazadone that was ok but not for long, then risterol they all wroked for a short time. Now i take 150 mg of doxepin, isleep for 10-12 hours. Its wonderful!!!!
    (((((((Jean Ann)))))))))
  14. Rea

Rea New Member

One of three things. Melatonin, Tyleol P.M. or Sonata. Sonata is an rx and it doesn't make me groggy in the morning. My husband also snores so I have to take something every night, and put cotton in my ears.

I used to use those foam earplugs and ended up with 2 ear infections, ruptured eardrum..don't know what thats all about. So I stick with the cotton balls.
  15. motg

motg New Member

know one but this one in it is what I use I hope tha I spell it right. Benadryl it helps me fall asleep and stay asleep
    Barb
  16. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I've taken several medications which didn't work. I also tried valerian root & lemon balm with no luck. Have been on 3 25mg of Nortriptyline for 3 months. It's now 2.5 hours since I took them & I'm still awake. It's not doing much. Bummer.

I'm lucky if I'm asleep before 4am. If I wasn't self-employed & can work at home, I'd be a mess. I sleep from about 5am - noon.

best thoughts to all insomniacs.
  17. Elvira

Elvira New Member

I take Trazadone and it's been great! 100 mgs. per night, but they also make 150 mgs. I usually sleep through the night and sleep pretty well most nights. This medication is the least habit forming out of all the prescription sleep medicines. Not that it really matters, since I'll probably always be on it! I wouldn't trade it for the world! It doesn't make you too groggy in the morning as long as you take it early enough. On those rare nights when I still don't sleep soundly, I get up and take one 3 mg. melatonin tablet (health food store) which boosts the sleep med just enough to make me sleep. My dr. said this is perfectly alright to do and not harmful.

Good luck, get some Traz, and pleasant dreams.....
  18. vloga

vloga New Member

I take lavender oil if I really need to, on a tissue near the pillow.

But most of all I take a book, cos reading really tires me out - usually I can guarantee being asleep in 5-10 minutes (pity I can't stay asleep).
  19. lea

lea Member

HI Elvira:

When you first begin taking it, does the Trazodone work right away or after a certain amount of weeks?
    Also, what do you mean by saying, if you take it early enough that it doesn't make you drowsy the next day (How many hours before bed and how many hours does Trazodone affect you)?

thank you in advance

best,
    lea