What do you take to help you sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I've been taking Ambien the last 2 years but my co-pays for all of my meds have doubled and that one is now $ 80.00 for 3 months--which is actually a good deal, but I need to trim some stuff down from my budget.

Looking for some other ideas.

Thank you,
  2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I use a CPAP and take Trazodone and Mirapex.
  3. jinlee

jinlee Member

I can't help you much with this one as it is a big problem for me. I am hoping I will find some answers also.

I did get a tempurpedic type mattress and that helps a lot, the pain is not so bad and I don't seem to toss and turn all night.

My doctors have me on three Klonopin, 3 flexeril, 800 mg of neurontin, zoloft and percocet to sleep, which only gives me usually four hours a night. I have tried ambien, lunesta which did not work at all.

Maybe I just need to count sheep! My main problem is I can't turn off my brain to go to sleep.

I hope you find something to help you sleep and sorry I can't help you more.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I also take Trazadoen for sleep. I take 125mg and I'm out too, all night long.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  5. pooped

pooped New Member

Hi there. I used Ambien until I lost my insurance. Ambien was my best friend but at close to a hundred dollars for a 30 day supply, Ambien is no longer an option.

Now I am using over the counter meds for sleep. I use Melatonin (3 to 10 mg) and a Tylenol like sleep aid. The combination actually works for me and I am thrilled.

Recently I saw a clip on our local news channel about Ibuprofen* being dangerous in large doses so I make sure that the sleep aids do not contain that; just to be on the safe side. Heaven knows we don't need liver failure on top of everything else!
  6. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I prefer Flexeril, it helps me relax so I can fall asleep. I also have a prescription for Ambien, but I always feel very depressed after I take it. Does anyone get depressed from Ambien?

I have heard that L-Tryptophan is good for sleep. Also I have heard that GABA with L-Theanine helps to. I think I am going to try them soon. Pro Health has both of them on their website store.

7. kriket

kriket New Member

I take 10 mg. of ambien and a fourth of a 4mg of tizanadine, which is a muscle relaxant. This combo. works great for me.

Kriket
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am taking Restoril 21 mg night. I like it because it also helps anxiety.

Sometimes I alternate to Ambien, and Lunesta.
  9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

all of your replies. I see my dr. nest week, so now I have some ideas.

10. woofmom

woofmom New Member

11. krisfromaz

krisfromaz New Member

I started out several years ago with Elavil, but had the doctor switch me because I was gaining too much weight with it. I have been taking Klonopin for the last 2 years and it does the trick for me...that and my new Sleep Number bed. I have NEVER slept so well. Worth every cent!
  12. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Why can't we sleep without meds???!!!!! AAARRRRGGGHHH!!

I take 5 - 10 mg regular ambien, but I am building a tolerance up.

I feel that If I could fall asleep fine at nite it would be the biggest help. Maybe someday. I 've had severe insomnia on and off - mostly on - for 22 years.

My neighbors even joked that I seem to be on "werewolf- time". asleep all day up all nite. HHHOOOWWWWLLL/
  13. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Does anyone else get depressed after taking ambien? Like the next day from taking ambien or day after that I get the blues.
  14. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

10 mg of amitriptyline (elavil), taken 2-3 hours before bed works really well. Might make you a bit groggy during the day at first, but not more groggy than you are when you don't sleep well. :)

15. bct

bct Well-Known Member

Hi. I take Ambien as a last resort because it leaves me feeling hungover the next day That, on top of my CFS, is quite depressing.....

Regards,

16. bct

bct Well-Known Member

Hi. I take Ambien as a last resort because it leaves me feeling hungover the next day That, on top of my CFS, is quite depressing.....

Regards,
    Barry
  17. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Yes, I got severely depressed on ambien and just now got off of it, so now I am staring at the ceiling all night long. Its hard not to take it, but it really does mess w/my mind. I am depressed enough from these DD and dont need that stuff bringing me down even more...so anyway, you're not the only one that ambien does this to.
  18. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

St Johns Wort some nights, Motherwort others...a little Black Cohosh as well...
  19. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

Try Melatonin 3 mg. It's over the counter and only about $5.00 for a small bottle. It works really well. You can also cut them in half if the 3 mg. is too much. I've seen a lot of other great suggestions here as well. You just have to go with trial and error. What works well for one doesn't always work for another. Good luck! It's very frustrating when you cannot get a good nights sleep! Luv-KNick