What do you think about BLACK FRIDAY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FibroJo, Nov 28, 2005.

1. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

After watching the news since Black Friday, I cannot help but think God must be totally appalled at us. I saw people racing into stores, knocking down others and walking right over them to get to a sale item. What has happened with our priorities when a sale item is more important than the safety and welfare of a human being? Just wondering how some of you feel about this. Christmas is only here because of the Birth of Christ, yet some people have made a mockery of it with their actions.
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I NEVER go out on the Friday after Thanksgiving because people are crazy!!

I don't really celebrate christmas though either. I celebrate the holiday season, giving and being with those I care about. I've found a great place to do my holiday shopping online - It is a group of charitable organizations that sell items with profits going to the organization. It allows me to get nice gifts, give to good causes and avoid the stores!! :)
  3. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Years ago when I was much younger, I used to do all my shopping then. Of course times were different and people were more civil. Seems to me that the older I get the more I go hmmmmmm.
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I was a manager for Wal_Mart.The people are crazy.

Do you remember the Furbies.I had to hide behind the register not to get hurt.

There were hundreds of people wanting them .We had coupons to hand out to the first in line.It was horrible.We only had fifty of them.

I blame the manufactures who come up with these new toys just before Christmas.They cant keep up with the demand.

I use to work it.Now I don't work and will not shop it.

All my shopping gets done in the comfort of my home.

Sue
  5. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

It certainly is appaling to see all of the greed these days. Alot of the people out shopping on Black Friday are just trying to get the most for their dollar, prices are so high that the working poor can't buy more than a Christmas tree for their little ones, then have to rely on charitable programs to give a little something to their kids on Christmas! When I was younger I wanted to buy, buy, buy, I was sucked into the greed, but not financially able to BUY. Wisdom does come with age, I know why we have Christmas & make it a point to teach my children the true meaning of that special day. I bought a book about Christmas at Goodwill years ago, my little ones look forward to hearing the story over, & over throughout the Christmas season. Once again this year we will be giving our homemade goodies to neighbors, extended family, friends,co-workers,& the childrens teachers & even each other! I'm working on a latch hook rug of a wolf for my 7 year old son,(one of his fav animals) I used to feel guilty because I couldn't buy all the things my kids wanted & that made a horrible Christmas, I would become withdrawn, Christmas is a time of Joy, Love, Giving, & all around Kindness, I'm so happy I took a look at myself & realized how selfish I was being. Now I can truly enjoy Christmas, my children, & what the season is all about!!! I send to you my heartfelt wishes of a very Merry Holiday Season, God Bless All
  6. piebear

piebear New Member

I too decided to go out this year on black friday since we don't usually. We could have been better off staying home though. We didn't really find anything that was worth it and the traffic and crowds were just insane. I couldn't breathe at all in Walmart and everyone was in a daze and so focused on what they were doing they didn't even notice those around them. People just are so consumed with themselves now. I just can't believe it. I remember growing up when things were different. This was the one time of year when people were extra friendly and nice to others--in stores and on the roads. But not anymore. Now people push and shove and trample others for a better deal. Anyone hear about the people that got trampled at Walmart as people rushed into the store when they first opened? One woman ended up in the hospital. I was so sickened when I saw that. Is this what has happened to the season?
    I make a huge point in keeping the true spirit of Christmas alive. And when I have children they will definitely know about it as well.
    I do still shop in stores but I usually do it a few months before or weeks before to avoid the excessive crowds. Especially this year with it being my first year sick I have to make sure my stress level stays down.
    And my husband does all his shopping online so he avoids the stores all together.
    And renae1979 what a neat idea about that charitable site that sells things. Have to check that out.

Merry Christmas and God bless! =)
  7. Tiels

Tiels New Member

stick to the "Reson for the Season".

I do my shopping all year long, especially the summer time.

All I have left is a bunch of Subway Sandwhich coupons to buy! ;)
  8. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

9. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I also avoid that day. I typically go shopping with my Dad on a Monday or Tuesday morning. The decorations are all up but the crowds aren't bad at all. We shop and have a nice lunch together. My Mom gets the things she wants. Helping my Dad has saved her form some pretty hideous gifts! HA LYNN
  10. Empower

Empower New Member

I think it is totally ridiculous!

And the sales starting at 5:00 am? Give me a break!

So you are to tell your family on Thanksgiving, "got to go to bed early so that I can get up at 4:00 am to go shopping"

So much for quality time
  11. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

12. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

I also have noticed how rude people have become. I never shop on black friday. I plan ahead just so I don't have to go out on this day at all.

I would rather work an extra day or two to make the money to pay full price for something than to participate in the kind of behavior that takes place during those sales.
  13. libra55

libra55 New Member

Oh, I saw that piece on the news about what happened at the WalMart in Michigan, unbelievable, those poor people that were trampled down, and somebody's jaw was broken from being punched. I think the family said they came home and ordered the item online instead.

I also saw another news story about a woman who went out early to buy an XBox360 and she drove home with it, well someone followed her right to her driveway and pulled a gun on her and stole the XBox. I think that might have been on our local news. Not sure if you all heard that one or not.

I think the companies and the media get people all whooped up into a frenzy about Black Friday. Even the throw aways in the Sunday paper are enough to get you cranked up these days. I get very overwhelmed and confused just looking at all the "bargains", and "get there today or you'll miss out".

I have never taken part in Black Friday anyway and what I hear it is getting so much worse with people's surly behaviors. I wouldn't want anything to do with it now.

This year I'm trying to get back to the real meaning of the sesason, with simple gifts, and a little less of everything, maybe getting involved in some community service and getting my kids to do it too, definitely some home baked treats too. Hard with teenagers but it can be done I'm sure.

(((((Hugs))))) to all

Michelle
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

In my younger years, it was kind of fun to get up so early and be at the store when it was ready to open. But that was before people became so ignorant and acted worse!

Actually, I've only gone 3 or 4 times. I couldn't even walk from a parking place to the store entrance now!!

I can't understand, either, why people have to treat each other so rudely on this shopping day.

My daughter went to a WalMart nearby and said that while she was there, that an ambulance had to be called twice! People were knocking each other down to get to some type of laptop computer they had on sale for $388 - and they only had 20 of them! They knocked a lady down and she broke her leg and I think she said the other call was for a broken arm due to the pressures of the crowd. So sad.

Then, while my daughter was in line (for 2 hours!), there were people who only had a few items PAYING OTHER PEOPLE to cut in line for them--with big sob stories like they had doctor appts, etc.--just so they didn't have to wait in line for 2+ hours!!

I guess I'm glad that the stores make a lot of money that day--becauss I guess some small businesses depend on that day just to stay in the "black" and remain in business for the rest of the year. If all of these stores could not afford to stay in business, they would not be able to afford to hire employees, and heaven knows, in our area of the country, we certainly do need every job that can be created!!!

I've done most of my shopping through catalogs and online this year. In fact, I have been a part of what the news media is calling "Cyber Monday!" I've ordered quite a bit of stuff online today--all of it with free shipping!!

That's my only gripe with ordering online--the high S&H costs!

Janet
  15. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

thank goodness.

Jeanne
  16. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I personally don't go out on that day anymore.I hate crowds. But I have worked it and shopped it before.
    There was a nasty fight at one of our loal WalMarts. I think its just sick. I guess it was because someone cut in front of someone in line in electronics. They should all be ashamed. The true meaning of Christmas has been lost.
  17. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member