What do you think about trigger point therapy ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lrning2cope, Jul 9, 2008.

1. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

I was just wondering if this has worked for anyone.

I had some and it was very painful , but it helped sometimes.

Here is a site that I found that tells about trigger point therapy .

If this is an old worn-out subject , please let me know and I will delete this post.

Thank you
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

I tried it, and it did not work for me
  3. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

On me.. Sometimes it feels like it helps but alot of times it makes it hurt and aches worse for a little while. Then sometimes when shes doing it.. it makes my one foot get prickly and tingly for a little while then it wears off like.. Weird! I told her about it and she said that it was weird.. sometimes I feel like there is something more going on but my MRI in April my Dr said today that it showed that I had 4 slightly bulging discs.. Im not sure if that would cause it to do that or not? I forgot to mention it to my dr.. well actually shes not the Dr shes the GNP. but sometimes its like she knows just as much if not more then the Dr there..
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

We have had this discussion many times here but it is relevant to us that also suffer from CMP (chronic myofascial pain) which alot of people with fibro also suffer from.

Alot of us on this site do our own "myofascial release" using the book "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. I use the theracane suggested in the book along with the tennis ball in a tube sock as a tool. I know at what levels of pressure I can take now without going into a flare the next day. I couldn't afford to have it done by a therapist because I have so many set up especially after a flare. It is an ongoing process so I find being able to do it on myself and at home is much easier and less expensive. Hope this helps. P
  5. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

My wife and I both have specific different problems caused by trigger points. Hers is easily massaged away (a numb leg), and my chronic pelvic pain is, well, chronic and severe. I had a year of PT and it helped, but not enough.

The success of trigger point therapy is going to depend on whether/where you have them and how effectively you treat them.

The first couple chapters of Claire Davies' book are a must-read for anyone with chronic pain.
  6. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I swear by it! I know so many people who have been cured with so many illnesses as well as cfid and fibro. It works on acupuncture points and is the most effective type of work I have come across.
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I stand against a wall with the sock and ball hanging down....lean against the wall and press until I find what's hurting.

I also own one of those long, hard styrofoam rollers. My daughter first bought it from the exercise store. You lay on this big hard roller on your back and roll it back and forth. Strange to see but it works. Same purpose as the tennis ball.
  8. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

My mom has it quite a bit and it does a lot for her. I have done it as well.

I think it works best when you just have it done when you have a very specific bad pain as opposed to a repeated on a regular basis therapy.
  9. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

Thank you for all the replys . It sounds like trigger point therapy is a pretty personal thing . You have to try it and see how it works for you .

I'm really glad that people have posted and told how it worked ( or didn't work) for them . I had a physical therapist who was trying it on me. She had the books and kept them by her when she tried the different trigger points . She wasn't trained in this , she just used the books and I think it made me worse. I went for 6 weeks and I felt worse at the end.

I am going to try the tennis ball method and the theracane if I can get one.

My current insurance doesn't cover physical therapy or any other kind of therapy for that matter.

I did get one injection in a trigger point on my shoulder . The doctor said " Now let's see , where is that trigger point again ? " and just plunged the needle in around where she thought it was - great pain for 4 days and then no relief. I am getting weary of any medical professional who thinks they know what trigger points are ! :(

Thank you again for all the advice and stories on how it worked for you .

10. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

There is no need for an apology ! Any input about dealing with Fibro is so welcome. Thank you for the information about the theracane too !