What do you think of Dr. Selfridge's book?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mkhppr, May 22, 2003.

1. mkhppr

mkhppr New Member

Hello all, I'm new here but have had fibro for 20 years since high school. I just came across the book "Freedom from Fibromyalgia" by Nancy Selfridge. Is anyone familiar with this book? I've read it and I think some of the approaches could be helpful but it seems overly focused on anger as the primary source of fibromyalgia pain.

Certainly I think that stress and anger aggravate my condition but I'm not convinced that focusing on this would be better than the other treatments (physical therapy, massage, exercise, some meds, biofeedback, etc.) that I use. (In fact, to focus so much on anger seems even more depressing.) Although she does not advocate getting off of meds without doctor's permission, she seems to say that is better not to worry about physical therapies---that to do so just focuses on the body and does not get to the real source of the pain.

Has anyone had true success in following her plan?
    Thanks for your thoughts.
  2. AnnG

AnnG New Member

When I was first diagnosed I checked a ton of books out from the library and now I can't remember which one was which! I do remember one though, that stated we are allergic to our own "auras". That one got returned to the library real fast! Don't you get tired of people thinking they have THE answer to all of our problems? I just had someone today tell me to order these tapes from TV and I would be cured. I stood there with a smile on my face but inside I was yelling,"You are an idiot!!!!" That made me feel better than the tapes ever will! I did buy olive leaf extract today. Alot of people have gotten great results from it here. Good luck to you (sorry I can't remember the book).
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Welcome to the board. The best book I have found on FM is 'Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome (A Survival Manual)' by Devin Starlanyl, MD.

This lady has FM, and her book is simply the best I have read yet.

I have not read the one you mentioned. Anger and stress play a big part in this illness, but there is more to it than that!

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]