What do you think of Gary Null?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Dec 10, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Gary Null is "The Art of Health" guy. He is on PBS often.

He seems like he has some good ideas, but seems over the top at times.

Genius or Kook? Or somewhere in between? What do you think?

Katy
  2. kbak

kbak Member

I'm an organic eater myself. Holy cow, I could'nt have a more healthy diet. Even before i became ill, I always ate a good diet and exercised. I really took pride in how well i took care of myself. Now I look at all these people around me that are very overweight,drink, smoke, and never exercise, and their healthier than I am!!!! There's something wrong with this picture. I'm honestly beginning to wonder if what I'm doing is making any difference.

K.
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    I can't rule out Lyme 100%, but it's unlikely for me. I have tested negative, and don't live or play in a Lyme area. It's more of a HHV-6 problem. It's a nasty virus, and not easy to treat. It's just frustrating to work so hard on your health and feel like your spinning your wheels!
    Take care,
    K.
  4. lbok

lbok New Member

But I think alot of it is personal choice but not right for everyone. Like raw foods may be good for those who can digest them - but if you have trouble doing that then raw foods aren't going to help out much. I also have issues with even organic foods - they are exposed to the same polluted air and water as the rest of the world. I'm not saying the quality may not be better, but I have seen some people get really hysterical that they can't afford or have access to organic foods. I also am not too thrilled thinking about the stuff growing in the dirt and then I'm just supposed to rinse it off and enjoy - organic or not. But, that is just a personal quirk of mine (lol).
  5. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Katy!

The interesting thing about this board is that it brings together a diverse bunch of individuals, and each one of us has a specific view on the foods we should eat, the medications or supplements we should take - or shouldn't take, beneficial exercises, etc.

What is ironic to me is that despite all these differences of opinion in what constitutes "the good life"; we all still have pain and fatigue - or else we wouldn't be here.

My belief is that we all have to make our own way in life and do what we feel works best for us, as individuals. Some of us believe that an organic food &/or vegetarian diet works best, others eat whatever is close at hand or affordable, or easy to fix.

IMHO, it is fine for health gurus like Gary Null to state their preferences regarding what they believe constitutes a healthy lifestyle, but like anything else (especially diets), these things do run in cycles. Even the food pyramid has received a makeover.

Whenever I hear about an "exciting trend" or a "miracle" in nutrition, dieting, exercise, etc., then the doubting part of my mind reminds me that we've seen this all before. Maybe it is human nature for us always to be looking for something better but we sometimes forget that a little moderation in everything we do may also be a wise course.

Janice
  6. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

You pretty much have to tailor everything to the needs of your particular body no matter what you read or hear. I think Gary has some fantastic ideas and is really dedicated to discovering beneficial styles of living, however from my own experiece I find it impossible to fit my body into anyone's philosophies.
    ruby
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Some good feedback on Gary Null! I do think he has that "Skeletor" appearance. And I agree, he is too perky for my taste. But I guess that is what he is selling. He definitely has the look of a marathon runner--very lean. Like Jim Fixx. Hmmm.

I do like Gary Null's ideas on eating more natural good food. That just makes sense. However, I'm not going to stop eating meat or stop using the microwave or stop eating grains. And I'm not going to completely give up my Cheetoh's. Come on Gary--eat a Cheetoh!!

I think any of the people on the PBS soapbox, whether it is health, hormone issues, finding your "source", etc. are all passionate about selling their own particular lifestyle and beliefs. I can usually find something of value from each of them. But I also disagree with them on certain points. I guess that's just the nature of being human. Take what works for you and file the rest.

Thanks for your input!

Katy