what do you use for ibs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allhart, Nov 1, 2002.

1. allhart

allhart New Member

my friends realy bothered with her ibs just wondering what everyone hear uses or has tried that might help,

thanks kara
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

my friends realy bothered with her ibs just wondering what everyone hear uses or has tried that might help,

thanks kara
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

kara, I think it is important to find out what is triggering this. In my case it is massive candida ...and absolutely zero beneficial bacteria. My gut ecology is awful due to longtime antibiotic therapy (30+) yrs. Therefore I am introducing good bacteria back into my gut with probiotics. If this doesn't show improvement, I will then go w/ and antifungal.
    But there are many other things that trigger IBS: fungal, bacterial, viral, allergies, damage due to drinking, flourine toxity, stress, abdominal surgery...the list just goes on.
    Not only that, it seems people who have had ibs for a long time say, the symptoms change, and what may have worked once for them no longer works. I think its important for the individual to find out what the causes may be for them, cater to their own symptoms, and see what works for them, out of the known treatments.
    Karen
  4. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I spent way too many nights in the ER with my IBS, til I decided to research. On an IBS board I came across information on yeast (I also had chronic yeast infections). To make a long story short, I found a good dr. (see my post on how to find a good cfs/fm dr.) and was pretty much cured of it. I went on an antifungal (Sporanox) for months, got rid of some bad intestinal bacteria (citrobacter freundii), healed my intestinal linining with l-glutamine, and replenished my good bacteria with probiotics. (Prior to this I was on Phazyme, Librax, and I think Prilosec----I was on it for over a year yet can't even remember if that was the name! lol)

At first, I watched what I ate because my entire being depended on it; it was absolutely horrible. But, after I started taking the mega doses of supplements and anti-fungals, I could again eat the foods that were once taboo such as nuts, broccoli, and cheese.

Here is a CNN article, from a few years ago, that reports the connection between IBS and bacteria. (I spoke to someone who participated in the study, and through the use of antibiotics, she was cured of IBS.)
    http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/12/13/bc.health.irritablebowel.reut/index.html

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Seriously, your amiga needs to find out that IBS is what she has and as stated above there are different kinds and different stages of the syndrome progression.

When I was actively going out of the house each day or night I took Levbid/Lefsin (hyoscamine ((sp))) at regular intervals daily and lomotil if I needed something stronger than the above. The ancient gold standard, Bentyl, did nothing for me.

Mine ties to stress...my bowels literally get in an "uproar" like you would not believe! Now that I do not have to go out each day to earn a living, I take the lefsin sub-linqual, as needed. The stress of knowing I am home, there is a toilet nearby (we have 3) is a comfort and I don't stress out.

I had the diarrheal type. When it first began I would have severe cramping preceeding the diarrhea. I use to have to get ready for work a couple of hours before leaving the house to get the diarrhea under control. I have never been constipated in my life! Both of my daughters have IBS, the alternating type. But you must go through the rigors and make sure you do not have something more serious. Cactus.
  6. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

if I allow myself to get into a stressful situation, I will get anxiety and gas/bloating. This is what ties into the adrenals....I think in addition to a pathogenic link, there can also be an adrenal link. My cortisol is elevated, but it has come way down to the point that I no longer suffer with panic attacks. So, in some cases, things to soothe the overworked adrenals is also necessary in combatting this disease.

Annette
  7. tes

tes New Member

My doctor suspects that I have ibs but I don't get alot of dirrehea. Although, I do get constipated frequently, suffer with alot of gas and abnominal cramping(belly button area). I'm just wondering if anyone has ibs without dirrehea. Thanks and take care.

Tes
  8. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I started with IBS with diarrhea, then about 6 weeks later it turned into constipation and it never reversed itself. I can honestly say that I would have traded my right arm for diarrhea, even though I know that is actually a worse form of IBS. I would have preferred a raw hiney than a swollen tummy :)

Annette
  9. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Allhart,
    I personally have an internist. He prescibes Robinul and Prevacid daily. They seem to help. Have you ever been to an internist? Maybe he/she can help. Times when your stomach feels like its going to come out of you. Yuck.
    Soft hugs today.
  10. Teri424

Teri424 New Member

Kara,
    As for me, I have had Clostridium Difficile 3 times. That is a deadly bacterial infection you can get in your colon caused from taking anti-biotics. It was awful! It did a lot of damage! So, my colon hasn't been the same since then and I have IBS also. I was spending most of my time constipated, then if I took a laxative or stool softener, I had diahrea for 2 or 3 days. So the Gastroenterologist put me on a strong dose of Acidophilus (to build up my good bacteria) called PB8, and Citracel (which you can buy over the counter, and is just fiber). He said it would help the constipation and the diahrrea. It has helped a lot! Try it.

Teri424
  11. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

When I was first diagnosed with IBS about 10yrs ago, I was put on a RX called Bentyl..It really helped..Mine was usually diarrhea..Then it slowed down a little..I was told just to take Metamucil every day, although I don't like I should..Now it seems like every once in awhile it turns to constipation now and then..For me at present, when it gets too bad, & I have to be somewhere I just take some Immodium..Soon time for another colonoscopy within the next year......Ughhhhhhhhh..Take Care.........Donna
  12. allhart

allhart New Member

THANK YOU so much for the responses though i have ibs also mines not as sever as hers and i realy wanted to find some help .i never knew there could be so many causes my drs always seemed to ingnore it, you all gave me so much good info! thanks agin
    kara
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2002]
  13. Teri424

Teri424 New Member

I'm new here-so forgive me for my dumb question. But, When I replied to this line earlier- it posted it, but it says "edit or delete" underneath my name, and noone elses' does. Why?
    Teri
  14. allhart

allhart New Member

so you can either edit or completely delete your messages we cant change others thats why its only under our names took me forever to figure it out!
    kara
    PS like i just had to edit this because i had spelt your name wrong see now it will say the message was edited,[This Message was Edited on 11/01/2002]
  15. Dara

Dara New Member

that helps to stop the cramping, I think the rx is called Bentyl. I also have to use a daily stool softener and make sure I eat a bowl of bran flakes in the morning. Also, I have to stay away from any dairy products because it makes it worse.

Dara
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I started taking antibiotics for the mycoplasmas. For years, I have taken probiotics and they are a good idea for everyone.

IBS can be caused by different problems, so it is important to find out what is causing it.

Love, Mikie
  17. selma

selma New Member

I just finished a bout with IBS/D three imodium and two imodium with atropine=priscripyion at one time stops me.

right now I hvva IBS-C. I use glycerine supps. then I'm up and attem again.Tee Hee No laughing matter.

Love selma
  18. mariedazz

mariedazz New Member

I saw a gastroenterologist who specializes in IBS and she really got it(diarrhea version) under control with two things: Fibercon, over the counter, one in morning andone evening both with food. Also 10mg of Pamelor at bedtime. Also Levsin as needed for cramps. This drug is truly a godsend!! Good luck, mariedazz