What do you use for sleep meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Jul 19, 2009.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I've been having a lot of bad luck finding anything that helps with sleep.

I always take my magnesium and melatonin but many nights I will only sleep 2-3 hours and then be wide awake.

In the past I've had Amitriptyline (horrible drug), Trazadone, Klonopin, lorazepam and a few others I just can't remember.

What has helped you sleep?
  2. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hello Monica,

I take .5mg of xanax before bedtime. If does not do the trick I take 5mg of ambien 2 hours later. I just started taking the ambien when needed, BUT to be honest it gives me weird side effects, and think my nights of using it are limited! I would read the pamphlet before taking it, the side effects list is long! Seems the docs are pushing this sleep med on everyone for some reason, must be a 'big kickback' from the drug companies for them!?

I also have taken RESTORIL( a sleep med) in the past which worked great for me; getting a good nights sleep. I had no side effects with this.

I know everyone is different.

Good luck, and hope you get a good nights sleep soon!

3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My doc and I decided on butalbital with acetaminophen. You have to tell them the one with NO caffeine. Just the combo of butalbital with acetaminophen. It will relax you and you can sleep from it. However, it doesn't touch the pain much at all. And it will mellow you to such a point that you can't do much all day from it. So it's only good for when you really need it. Butalbital is a tranq, it's a barbiturate.
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Insomnia is my middle name. I have been on seroquel for about 3-4 weeks, i take 100mg dose an hour before i want to sleep and am out like a light and can get a good 8hrs sleep and wake feeling really good. I only use it probably once every 3-4 days, in between i use zopiclone or an antihistamine with lyrica, these meds were becoming less effective as i think i was building a tolerance to them, so i have been cutting back slowly to reduce this tolerence to my sleep meds and the seroquel has also helped this.

I was very hesitant at first as there are alot of scary posts on this med, but i think the way i use it will help me avoid side effects. Weight gain was one of those, the same as lyrica . I managed to avoid weight gain with lyrica by using it intermittently, this is how i use all my medication, except antivirals. Most people seem to get alot of side effects because they are on these meds regularly and as tolerence occurs the docs increase the doses to overcome this which it does but also inceases side effects.

I think with sleep we need to have a few good sleep meds to rotate between and have occassional breaks from certain meds. I think some of the best sleep meds are the sedating antidepressants like doxepin amitriptyline avanza etc where most benzos reduce our quality of sleep. The z-drugs like zopiclone and ambien may be an exception and these drugs should definatley be used intermittently as tolerence builds quickly with these meds.

thats my 10cents worth of experience, hope it helps, good luck.
  5. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

2.5 valium + 10 mg ambien

That works about 4 weeks then my body becomes too used to it, I go off it several days fiddling with Soma +valium, then start over.

Helps to send snoring spouse to another room, and I like the room cool and dark.

If sleep does not happen I take another half a valium, the most I ever took was 10 mg over a couple hours.

Without drugs my body interprets one hour of sleep as a night's sleep.

Nobody knows who has not suffered this malady.
  6. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I alternate. For about two nights I take lunesta and melatonin, then for about two nights take restoril and melatonin. The sleeping pills without melatonin don't work very well, and either does taking only melatonin. I also blocked out my bedroom windows so no light gets in at night. There are a lot of lights outside where I live. And many nights I run a fan as a white noise generator.
  7. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I use tizanidine, which I think may be generic for trazodone, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I have had very good success with it until recently. Seems it only gives me 4 hours instead of 8 now.
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I have only just started occassional use of trazodone 50mg and it helps put me to sleep but only for 4-5hrs, i thought it would keep me asleep longer as alot of people say they are abit hangover the next day from it. When i looked further into this med i noticed it only has a short half life 3-6 hours, but then again everyone is different.

9. loto

loto Member

I take 120 mg Cymbalta daily, and it makes me fall asleep and most nights stay asleep.
    But, it you don't take a daily med like that, flexeril always works for me also!!! It's a very good muscle relaxer!!!!
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This may be off topic but I just read an article how disrupted sleep throws off our hormones and can be a factor for people gaining weight. Something we do not need considering our forced inactivity and meds.

I will try and find this article.

ETA My doctor said that Trazodone is only short acting but it helps me get to sleep, helps with my RLS. He wanted me to get off of it which I did but it increased my RLS and I would not go into deep sleep. However 25 mg., for me, works perfectly. At one time I was taking 100 mgs. but mostly 50 mgs. I was surprised that the lower dosage worked better as I was not getting "sleep hangovers" with the 50 mgs. It did take me a long time to get off the Trazodone.also take 1 mg. clonazepam which may factor into this.

This is my experience.[This Message was Edited on 07/24/2009]
  11. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

Fibro Sleep(by Pro Health)2 capsules,one 10mg.of flexeril and occasionally I'll add one 200mg.Advil. I've experienced good restorative sleep for nearly two years using this combo. Only every now and then will I have trouble staying asleep,or falling back to sleep.This is usually when there is a full moon. I really think it messes with my bio rythems. ~~Jeanne~~
  12. jmq

jmq New Member

Ambien 10 mg usually puts me to sleep. Lately it has not lasted the entire night but I usually go back to sleep. I tried the extended release ambien but it made me too groggy the next day.

After about a month, I switch to Benadryl....and then eventually back to the ambien.

Trazadone made my nose so stuffy that I could not breathe well and Melatonin has never worked for me.

Good luck
  13. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

between melatonin and generic Anbien. The melatonin generally makes me wake up with the burps and sometimes in the middle of the night. I like the Ambien CR best but its too spendy for me so I limp along with generic ambien instead.
  14. street129

street129 New Member

i take anbien for sleep, this drug i like better than any other sleep aid. i get mostly between 4-5 hours of sleep, i mix it with other over the counter med , and it reduces my time of slepp i will not mix any more.

i am in the need of some im down to my last 2, and doctor wont be back till tursday...can someone give me a site to refill my anbien...she is tripping off of michael;s death, and would not give me refill. i have to march into her office each month for a prescribtion...........hate it
  15. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

Before I had CFS I had insomnia but with it I have hypersomnia so I don't need sleep meds. I've tried a lot of things though, in the past:

melatonin = didn't work
    valerian root = didn't work
    trazodone = evil hang over
    ambien = annoying headache
    ativan = some success
    klonipin = pretty good
    seroquel = gave me nightmares
    valium = can quench the anxiety before sleep if that is the problem
    restoril = pretty good

Just goes to show ya, everyone's different when it comes to drugs.

LISALOO New Member

There used to be a web site, or maybe anyone remembers, is there a site that shows sleep meds that induce state 3 or 4 sleep?

I tried lunesta, but I feel like I get no deep sleep, it's like taking benadryl which I know impedes deep sleep.
  17. mje

mje New Member

Have not been present here for some time, but having been diagnosed in 1985, you can understand I have plenty of experience. At the time of my diagnosis, the Dr. prescribed
    flexeril. He explained that it matabolized similar to Elavil. It has continued to be ok for me.
    It is designed to induce stage 4 sleep... when our muscles repair themselves. ( I wish it
    did a more complete job!!) When I have a flare..I take up to 20 mgs., but routinely take
    10 mg. I read that some others answered on a positive note for this medication. I have tried to stay quite acive and have not have the weight gain that Elavil seems to promote.
    Hope this helps...I am going to try to employ this site again more often. MJE
  18. nixon

nixon New Member

Temazepam ( 30 mg.) is what I've been taking recently. No nasty side effects, which is great ! I've tried Ambien & another one( can't recall name right now!) which caused bad side effects for me. ( BAD dreams, etc! )

The Generic Restoril has really helped, although usually only lasts about 6 hours for me .

Also a warm epsom salt bath before bed can be helpful too !

19. I have an old script with a few ambien 10 mg . However its weird, it lets me sleep only 4 hrs. then I am wide awake. Then I got a new script filled for the same med, different maker, and that pill wires me ALL NIGHT I am awake. The pharmacist has no idea why it would do that, as I even checked if they gave me the wrong med!
  20. nixon

nixon New Member

Fibrobutterfly, When I took the Ambien I ALSO would only sleep 4 hrs. ( if lucky ! ) and during those 4 hrs. I was having wicked, scary dreams ! That stuff was crapo for me !

Seems ALOT of the meds have a totally different effect on me ! CRAZY !!!