What does an ANA count of 320 mean?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pattim1107, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Pattim1107

Pattim1107 New Member

Hi, I haven't posted in awhile because I've been feeling so much better and have been really busy, but I did see my primary care doctor and he had me get some blood tests doen and the only abnormal result was my ANA count which is 320. He is sending me to a rheumatologist, but I don't have an appointment yet. My regular dr. seems to be talking more about lupus than fibro and he also said the blood work showed I had been "exposed" to lyme disease, in the past, whatever that means (he also said they often get false positive results on lyme tests)! Can anyone tell me whether a count of 320 is associated with fribro? I still think my symptoms are more like fibro than anything else, but who knows?

Also, I read some posts about Splenda. I just swtiched to Splenda from Sweet n' Lo after reading that aspartame may be bad for fribro, but now I see people here saying they are staying away from Splenda and Equal too and I've read that sugar is bad - so does that mean you can't have any kind of sweetner in your coffee or tea? No way could I drink either without it!
  2. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

I can tell you that with fibro it is not usually that high. My drs have always told me that with fibro it can be somewhat elevated but if it is that high it can mean an autoimmune disorder, lupus, ra, etc.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about..Mine was !:640 and the rheumy wasn't concerned said a lot of his pts.have positve ANA's..I was tested for lupus and everything was ok..I have CFIDS and fibro and he seems to think that cfids could be an autoimmune disease but no one knows for sure..

It never hurts to get more test to rule out other things but I think everything will be ok..

Keep us posted,
    greatgran
  4. darude

darude New Member

Mine is 1:320 but testing for Lupus etc. al came out normal.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Also have FMS. There is so much overlap in these illnesses. I wouldn't worry about this. Just see the rheumy to see what he thinks. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  6. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

My blood work came back abnormal too. My ANA was 316, but the DNA of lupus was negative. My Rheumy said this is ok as long as the DNA isn't positive too. My PCP said he would just watch my bloodwork regularely and if anything changed for the worse he would treat me with borderline lupus. Good luck and I hope you find out something soon.
    Hugs,
    Angela
  7. dononagin

dononagin New Member

ana is not a fibro test. It is for lupus and can signal other auto-immune diseases. Not everyone with lupus has a positive ana test and not everyone with a positive ana has lupus.

I was tested many times for lupus so studied it quite a bit. I do know quite a few women with fibro that also have lupus.

I copied the following for you from a lupus board.

The 11 Criteria used for diagnosing Lupus.

Because many lupus symptoms mimic other illnesses, are sometimes vague and may come and go, lupus can be difficult to diagnose.

Diagnosis is usually made by a careful review of a person's entire medical history coupled with an analysis of the results obtained in routine laboratory tests and some specialized tests related to immune status. Currently, there is no single laboratory test that can determine whether a person has lupus or not.

To assist the physician in the diagnosis of lupus, the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) in 1982 issued a list of 11 symptoms or signs that help distinguish lupus from other diseases (see Table 2). This has recently been revised. A person should have four or more of these symptoms to suspect lupus. The symptoms do not all have to occur at the same time.

The Eleven Criteria Used for the Diagnosis of Lupus

Malar Rash - Rash over the cheeks

Discoid Rash - Red raised patches

Photosensitivity - Reaction to sunlight, resulting in the development of or increase in skin rash

Oral Ulcers - Ulcers in the nose or mouth, usually painless

Arthritis - Nonerosive arthritis involving two or more peripheral joints (arthritis in which the bones around the joints do not become destroyed)

Serositis - Pleuritis or pericarditis (inflammation of the lining of the lung or heart)

Renal Disorder - Excessive protein in the urine (greater than 0.5 gm/day or 3+ on test sticks) and/or cellular casts (abnormal elements the urine, derived from red and/or white cells and/or kidney tubule cells)

Neurologic Disorder - Seizures (convulsions) and/or psychosis in the absence of drugs or metabolic disturbances which are known to cause such effects

Hematologic Disorder - Hemolytic anemia or leukopenia (white blood count below 4,000 cells per cubic millimeter) or lymphopenia (less than 1,500 lymphocytes per cubic millimeter) or thrombocytopenia (less than 100,000 platelets per cubic millimeter). The leukopenia and lymphopenia must be detected on two or more occasions. The thrombocytopenia must be detected in the absence of drugs known to induce it.

Antinuclear Antibody - Positive test for antinuclear antibodies (ANA) in the absence of drugs known to induce it.

Immunologic Disorder - Positive anti-double stranded anti-DNA test, positive anti-Sm test, positive antiphospholipid antibody such as anticardiolipin, or false positive syphilis test (VDRL).

Good luck Patti.. You need to see a rhumie anyway. Best care for Fibro as well.. Let us know how it comes out!
    Hugs!
    dona
  8. lolee

lolee New Member

The ANA test actually tests for any indication of some type of Autoimmune disorder: Lupus, Sjogrens, Schleroderma, etc. There is then a sub panel that is done that will indicate which one is indicated. I had a positive ANA and then in the sub-panel had a positive RNA which is indicative of MCTD (Mixed Connective Tissue Disease). A month later my labs were still high but not in the positive range, this was at a different lab and a different kind of test. There are two ways for the labs to process your blood for these panels. I also had tested positive for inflammation . . . . . .

My PCP and the rhuemy he sent me to did not seem to think that I had MCTD but Fibro . . . . .however I have read that in the beginning stages of any autoimmune disorder your labs can fluxuate (I don't thinki I'm spelling too good today ! LOL) ANYWAY . . . . . . they are also affected by whether or not you are in a flare . . . . . .I start at a pain clinic on 01/12/06 so I'm hoping they will re-run these tests periodically, I want to keep my eye on them.

Lolee
  9. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

The artificial sweetners aren't good for us.

Many, if not all are excitotoxins(sp?). Try stevia, it's natural. It's a plant that has been dried and ground into powder. It is very sweet, so use sparingly. (When you use too much you get a bitter after taste.) You can find it in the health food store.
  10. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

My ana was 1:16 and had a rhumatoid of 18 both considered low for any immune disease. But yours is really high! Better get back to the DR. I often wonder with my test if something else is wrong and they've missed it. I've also had them turn out negative have also had high sedimintaion rates told I have arthritis and fibro.