What does anyone know about ULTRAM???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suncatchers, Jan 3, 2003.

1. suncatchers

suncatchers New Member

My doctor gave me a Rx for Ultram for migraines. I hate to take "serious" pain pills. I use Fiocet (sp?) with no side affects. Do you advise taking it? Let me know. Thanks.
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

It surprises me that you would take that for a migraine, I thought that pain meds do not work on migraines, I thought imitrax, maxalt, those type of meds work on migraines, I just started getting them tho a few months ago and I do take ultram on a regular basis for my muscular pain.

Jaci
  3. phenom

phenom New Member

ultram (or tramadol in australia, where i'm from) is an absolute god-send! i take it for muscle pain when i have 'stuff to do' that i would not normally be able to do. it does have a side effect on me tho - incredible headaches, verging on migraines. so i'm baffled that it would be prescibed for migraines? it is a very strong drug, and i've had to go 'doctor shopping' to find one that will give it to me, but i can barely do anything without it. hope that helps a bit.

phenom
  4. starstella

starstella New Member

is your doc giving you ultram when you are already taking fioricet. Just curious. I have a history of long term migraines, used fioricet, got dependent on it, and getting off that was true misery.
    IMO,I think long term use of fioricet is worse than ultram.
  5. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I had a rheumatologist give me Ultram for fibro pain ... it worked okay, but at the time I didn't really need pain meds on a regular basis. The only down-side I found is that it seemed to take forever to kick in ... I wouldn't get any relief until the 2nd or 3rd dose. Have never used it for migraines, as Imitrex works better for me.

Jan ^v^
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2003]
  6. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

The only thing I can tell you is that I did take Ultram & Ultracett for Fibro pain..Yes, it did help the fibro pain, but it gave me HORRIBLE headaches..Told my pain management dr. and he told me, YES, that can happen with that med..
    Strange, isn't it, a pain med that will take pain away from one place, but cause it in another..
    I am also very sensitive to pain meds, they seem to put me out if not careful...
    Just sharing my experience......
    Best of Luck with the Ultram..Remember everyone's body is different, so give it a try!!!!!!
    Take Care..........Donna
  7. starstella

starstella New Member

The ultram does take about 2 hours (for me) to kick in, which is an awful long time to wait when you have a migraine.
  8. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

What kind of Doctor would prescribe Ultram for a migraine? Even a headache for that matter! Just seems weird to me is all.

Ultram is known for causing headaches in many people, in fact I think that is the #1 side effect listed for it, especially the generic, tramadol. I take it all the time for general body pain and it works great but if I feel a headache coming on, I will skip that dose entirely. It will definitely worsen my headache.

I get migraines once in a while and I take Fioricet #3 for those. So far, I haven't found anything to cure a migraine but those do lessen the pain a bit, and 2 Fioricet will usually knock me out enough to sleep it off....if I'm lucky.

Good Luck, ~LISA