What does Dr Cheney think of wellbutrin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AC77, Jul 13, 2003.

1. AC77

AC77 New Member

I know he is against SSRIs and stimulants. Has he made any mention of Wellbutrin (bupropion)? I am taking this now for energy and depression---boy does it make you sweat and anxious at first.

We chose this med because of it's lack of sexual side-effects and energy boosting properties.

What's your take/experience with this med?
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Welbutrin made me understand why manics don't want to take their lithium or depakote. I only slept 2 or 3 hrs. per night while on it, but thought that was great. I still had pain, but somehow it didn't register, and I thought I'd make use of being awake all the time by going back to work full time and going to grad school full time! My hubby tried to talk sense to me, but I wasn't having any. Luckily for both of us, on the 42nd day of taking it, I woke up from my 3 hr. "nap" covered in hives and short of breath. I had to get a cortisone shot and take Benadryl around the clock for 3 weeks since it has such a long half-life. Obviously, my dopamine level was not low enough to warrant this medication, but if yours is that low, it may help you a lot. I sure would not ever touch it again!
    Best of luck,
    Klutzo
  3. klarry

klarry New Member

A renowned FM doctor recommended it for me, but when I learned that it could cause seizures, I say no thank you. I am sensitive to drugs, and so would prefer to avoid side effects
  4. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi, Yes it made me anxious/ or more like tense and I gave up after just a few days. But I spoke with one girl who stuck with it. She said she was pretty grouchy for 2 weeks and then it was like a lightbulb being turned on. Everything was soooo much better. She was so used to the "old" way she didn't realize how bad it had been until the Wellbutrin kicked in. So it worked for her!
    Ziggy