What does everyone do to sleep well? Seeing Dr. soon.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ellieneiva, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Ellieneiva

Ellieneiva New Member

I am tired of getting restless nights sleep.
    Was thinking of going to the Dr. but I know how she can be.
    I've never told her about my tiredness and achy body, sensitivity to light, noise, colors. I am afraid of being rejected by her. I just need some good nights sleep.
    I've been sore for probably at least 10 years, you know when you touch your body it's sore all over. Been not able to go into colored rooms for a long time, esp. red colored rooms, black and white patterns, shiny rooms. Can't take bright light, loud noises.
    Just would like to know what others are doing for sleep.
    Ellie
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

SO I finally got into a neuro and immediately he diagnosed sleep apnea (which I have been telling my do do dr for 6 years) and he sent me to a sleep clinic. Guess what? I have "significant" apnea ... 52 episodes in 1 hour!!!!!!! THAT is significant. I am on a cpap machine now (rush ordered by the sleep clinic). I can tell a difference in some ways. I am not as "dizzy" in the mornings. The ringing in my head is not as severe (still there though). My bodily pain is still severe ... no change there. I think my neck is slightly better but bear in mind that I have been off work for 2 months in my controlled environment ... no flourescent lighting ... no perfumes (I am extremely chemical sensitive) ... reduced noise and of course reduced stress. I used to have daily "common" migraines ... big improvement in that area. I am still very light sensitive and noise sensitive. I think I am able to tolerate noise a little more though. I am not as "jumpy" as I was. It is not a "cure all" like my neuro claims but it helps though (cpap). I have to leave the tv on all night since I live in a noisy city. I think I am going to switch to radio though. I am also hoping to purchase a better bed in the future. I am going to a rheumatologist in a week about the poor old body. He is the first rheumy I have seen. He is supposed to be top notch and FM aware. We shall see. I would bring up the sleep apnea to your DR and be insistant. My PCP really is useless. I am going to switch PCP's. There is no excuse for her ignoring this apnea situation.

Good luck
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I and many others here take Trazadone for sleep. I take mine about 7:30 at night and sleep like a baby for at least 8 hours. It helps...

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

HI I FOUND AMBIEN AND LUNESTA BOTH WORK FOR ME. SOME PEOPLE THEY HELP SOME THEY DO NOT. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO TRY A FEW THINGS BEFORE YOU FIND THE RIGHT ONE. I WENT THROUGH A FEW DIFFERENT MEDS. GOOD LUCK, BE HONEST WITH YOUR DOCTOR, YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED AND HE/ SHE WILL LISTEN, IF NOT SOMETIMES YOU NEED TIO TRY OUT A FEW DOCOTRS TOO. KEEP PUSHING TILL SOMEONE LISTENS, YOU HAVE TO LOOK OUT FOR YOURSELF. YOU ARE YOUR BEST ADVOCATE.
  5. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

HI I FOUND AMBIEN AND LUNESTA BOTH WORK FOR ME. SOME PEOPLE THEY HELP SOME THEY DO NOT. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO TRY A FEW THINGS BEFORE YOU FIND THE RIGHT ONE. I WENT THROUGH A FEW DIFFERENT MEDS. GOOD LUCK, BE HONEST WITH YOUR DOCTOR, YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED AND HE/ SHE WILL LISTEN, IF NOT SOMETIMES YOU NEED TIO TRY OUT A FEW DOCOTRS TOO. KEEP PUSHING TILL SOMEONE LISTENS, YOU HAVE TO LOOK OUT FOR YOURSELF. YOU ARE YOUR BEST ADVOCATE.
  6. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

You may try putting "sleep" or "insomnia" in the Search section above - lots of previous posts you can review.
  7. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Engel..I just wanted to say hi, I have enviromentla illness as well. I am so sorry you are dealing with that. I am worried when I hear that you may get a new bed, this could be a nightmear if you dont play your cards right. Be very very careful.

Your friend Dee~ Gigglepoet
  8. blkkat

blkkat New Member

well that is a big dilemma for most here and as you know we that have FM , CFS I'm sure have tried almost everything that we can. and for one may not work for the other. but what helps me get at least 5 hrs , not straight but at least 3 w/out waking . i take 1.5 mgs clonazepam this is a generic form. good luck! BLKKAT
  9. hi ellie.im taking a 50 mg tablet of amitripyline at 7 pm each night,then i sort of feel sleepy for round about 9 pm.

but some times i still cant sleep,so on these times this is what im using to help me to sleep.

ive bought a lava lamp.its on a shelf in my bedroom.its got blue liquid in it,and orange wax..well i think its wax.it turns into balls and they float about in the fluid.

it takes ages to get warmed up,so i make sure i switch it on two hours before i go to bed.

ive also downloaded a file of the ocean waves crashing on a pebble beach,and ive put this on a small mp3 player.i chose a mp3 player that doesnt hold large files.the reason being that...

i can guarentee that ill drift off to sleep while listening to this mp3 ocean sound,in about roughly 40 minutes.so when the file has played,the mp3 player switches itself off.the larger file ones just play on and on,while you are asleep,then you have no battery power left for another nights use.

ive bought a battery charger,and 6 re chargable batteries,so i have a good supply.but i still like that my mp3 player switches itself off.

i bought another small memory mp3 player (they only cost £7) and put a file on it that plays heavy rain and thunder storms.i like that.

so what ever mood im in,ill play ocean waves or thunder and rain.

i only use one pillow on my bed,its not a bulky pillow.and i put a slighty bulkier pillow under my knees.i cover myself up with one cotton sheet (during flare ups).

then i just lay in bed listening to my mp3 player,and watching my lava lamp.it works every time.

if i wake up very early in the morning,say like 2 am.and cant drift off back to sleep.i get out of bed,get a coffee and read a bit of a book im interested in.ill read maybe one chapter,drink my coffee,and lay down on the sofa.i usually drift back off to sleep ok.sometimes ill go back to bed.

but i always set my mobile phones alarm clock to wake me up at 7.30 am...no matter what.

ill never stay in bed longer than that, else my bodies muscles set hard and wont move,,takes ages to manipulate them so that i can walk and bend.

i hope you get some sleep soon.

kind regards fran

none of these files have music playing,i cant stand listening to that,i like to hear just the special effects.and you hear more of them on a mp3 player compaired to a cassette player.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]
  10. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I take elavil 50mg and it doesn't help me fall asleep but it helps me stay sleep for at least 4hrs. Unfortunately after the 4hrs. I wake every hour or two going to the bathroom.Plus when my boyfriend has a night of tossing and turning Im the victim more so than he is.I sometimes go out on the couch and my boyfriend takes it personally,like Im leaving him.I'll be glad when we get a larger bed(and boyfriend grows up),maybe a sleep number bed or something so I can sleep without feeling his tossing and turning.
    But right now I wear ear plugs and sometimes a sleep mask.Oh and I do also take benedryl for itching.Sometimes it makes me sleepy which is great, but most of the time it doesn't .I drink herbal tea to relax as well but then I wake to go to the bathroom.Hope that you find a way to get better sleep amongst all our sharing here on the board.
    There are herbal products for relaxation,check your local herbal store Im sure there will be someone there to steer you in the right direction.
  11. NannyGlo

NannyGlo New Member

Hi Ellie. I have to take a combination of meds to enable me to get a good night's sleep (usually 8-10 hours a night). I've had FM for nearly 30 years. Early on after diagnosis, I was prescribed Doxepin for sleep and anxiety. I still take that. But, over the years, a couple more combinations were added. Here's what I take today: About 3-4 hours before bedtime, I take Doxepin in combination with Soma (muscle relaxer) and Excedrin. Right before bedtime, my Rheumy prescribed Lunesta and Zanaflex (another muscle relaxer). I always take my meds, then read until sleepy. So far, it's working well. NannyGlo
  12. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

My Dr told me to take Melatonin. I buy the 5 mg ones (over the counter) and he said to take 4 tabs (20 mg) before bedtime and each time I wake up. It makes me drowsy without a hangover feeling. This is what our body produces to help us sleep. He said that after awhile my body will start to make more melatonin during the night when I need it.(I take an antiviral med, and I do not take any antidepressants, so check with a pharmacist about any drug interactions with your meds.)
  13. Daisys

Daisys Member

I'm on xyrem. It gives me good results, but is not for everyone. If you do a search for it on this site, there's lots of information from those who have tried it.
  14. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I take 1 mg of Xanex if I really need to rest. Sometimes I get 12 hours of deep sleep. Still it is not restorative sleep. I wake up hurting and fatigued.

I haven't been doing this very long, and I do not do it often because I do not want to become addicted for a medicine to make me sleep.

I have watched my wife over the years and she takes 2 or 3 things or she cannot sleep.

If you work like my wife does, you have to sleep. (I can't see your bio now, lol)

I am retired and sick 90% of the time, so I can miss a night's sleep and it really doesn't matter. I just take a nap when I "run down".

I really can relate with you on the room brightness, colors and noises...

Best of luck to you :)

Andy