what does everyone use for PAIN?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janasw1, Mar 14, 2007.

1. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

The FM pain is getting intolerable.
    What has given anyone relief?

Anything more natural work for pain?
    I need SOMETHING!
  2. Dodgechick26

Dodgechick26 New Member

Well there is heat, hot tub, heating pad, I personally use a heated matress pad, covers more areas.

I have magnets everywhere on my body, 2 braclets, 2 anklets, definately notice a big difference if i take em off so i don't.

I take tylenol everyday...not a big help.

I take a 120mg cymbalta everyday. Big help, stopped a lot of the pain.

My pain still lingers around but now it is at least somewhat tolerable. Before i contemplated removing a limb just for releif.

Of course ive been on all the narcotics but my favorite pain killer is tramadol because it isnt a narcotic, has the same affect as vicodin, without the hangover, withdrawl affects, very nice for flare ups.
  3. galileo

galileo New Member

epsom salt bath
    magnesium malate
    you might want to look at MSM but never tried it, i
    think it's more for joints?
    then again, i think you can get it to rub on sore
    muscles, and i think this is the stuff they used
    to rub on horses for sore muscles?
  4. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

hi there
    i take di hydracodeine at least 8 at day sometimes more, morphine sulphate twice a day, sometimes more, i take a muscle relaxant and quinine sulphate which helps to stop the twitchy jumpy legs in the night malarky. i take modafinil in the mornings to kick start my day and combat fatigue and sometimes at lunchtime too lol, all sorts of different things for my wierd form of migraine. the list is endless, i agree with the above postings too about 'wet heat' i have a bath spa which has a massage aattachment and this is very soothing, must say tho if having a really bad day then i really cannot face the getting undressed, bathin n getting dried n dresed again thing, too painful and tiring. i use several microwavable heatpacks which i find really good as they can be positioned just about anywhere, i have 6!! a few minutes on a sunbed works wonders too but do we really need skin cancer on top of everything else? mad isnt it? in over 20 years survivng this god awful afliction i have nt come across any natural remedys which work effectively enough to make a dent in the pain im afraid, so sorry. maybe some of the others on here can suggest things that might help but personally id go with the strongest painkillers you can get your doctor to give you without too many side effects as the ultimate goal in my book is to have an easier life if we can and to take the edge off the agony if possible, being comfortable to a degree and being able to function on a day to day basis without being flat out or curled up in a chair in too much pain to move is not my idea of fun or of having a life so il take the drugs everytime im afraid as life is too short and is for living, the best way we can with as little discomfort as we can possibly manage.
    i dont think i will have been much help to you regarding your original question but hope i have given you the confidence not to be anti drugs or narcotics as anything is worth a go to see what suits you the best as we are all different in both our coping mechanisms and in the way drugs affect us and the level of releif they can afford us.
    ((((hugs))) hope you are having a comfortable day xxxxxx
  5. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

In hot tub of water:

1 cup Epsom Salts
    1 cup Baking Soda OR 1 bottle Hydrogen Peroxide
    Soak for 20 minutes
    Shower off afterwards
    Be ready to go to bed

I use Norco for pain, Mobic as an anti-inflammatory and Lyrica for nerve pain.

Hope you find something that works for you.
  6. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I've tried many different things and types of drugs and the only thing that the docs and I have found to work so far are

Oxycontin
    Vicoden

They both are becoming less effective as time goes by. I've been on both of them for a year now and have mentioned it to my doc. She said that she will think about increasing them if I go to a pain management doc first to see if there is anything they can do to help.

Just to let you know that I am pretty much home bound and have been for the past year.

Walking and standing can be difficult depending how bad the pain is on any given day.

For when I do have to go out the doc filled out the paper work for a parking placard for me, to limit walking distance and the possibility of injury from falling because of pain and exhaustion.[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2007]
  7. msgerman

msgerman New Member

one dr put me on lodine for tmj ang it worked so well at the time my other doc kept me on it for fm, but after 13 years it sadly is no longer working. seeing new dr at a pain clinic. taking lyrica vicodin and cymbalta. you might want to talk to your doc about it. it is the evtended relief and i took it 2x's a day. it worked bueatifully,but now that i have proggressed so far in the fm i cant seem to find anything that works. i have had 5 shots in my spine scince november. worked ok but have worn off and makes my hair fall out in clumps.
    on another note kinda funny that no one dr can agree why we are like this and they sure do like to say it is non progressive,but am to the point where i have progressed to a dangerous level for my job truck driver. diagnosed 13 years ago but have been in pain for 20 or more years.
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am on Subutex 16 mg day (4 mg 4xday) under tongue.

Tylenol Gel Cap 1/2 day

Rarely q/2 Ultram or 1/2 Soma

9. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi janasw1!
    My main form of relief is:
    kadian 30mg. 2/day
    vicodin 10/500 2/day
    actiq 400mcg 1 ev. 2 days as needed
    also trialing the mirapex right now.

for non drug relief--
    HOT WATER!!!! bath tub, hot tub,warm pool,heat packs,etc.
    warming mattress pad
    thermacares!! (no i don't have it's stock--but should!)
    magnesium 1000mg 2/day (stay close to the bathroom til you know how this will affect you)
    total body support--neck,arms,legs 90% of the time

natural things i've tried/no luck:
    Some type of necklace w/cd
    taurox
    PRRT (worked great when therapist did it,not by myself though)
    all kinds of "infomercial" stuff
    chiropractics

so, i hope you get some good ides from this post. Good luck--L
  10. sunshineno2

sunshineno2 New Member

Hey--I take methadone(6omlg. 3xday) and oxycodone (apap) 3x a day. I have neurontin, flexeral, and lorazapam ---when needed. I am also taking the antidepressant Lyrica.
    I still have pain. But I have been on some of these things for a long time, so there tends to be some tolerance to them. I don't say anything though because I dont want my Dr. to stop them. I really don't think she would-but you never know. Good LUCK! It's a painful condition. sunshineno2
  11. jesfms

jesfms New Member

baclofen works well for jaw pain...mine was dxd as myofascial dysfunction...it is a muscle relaxant and works well if you grind teeth at night
  12. jesfms

jesfms New Member

baclofen works well for jaw pain...mine was dxd as myofascial dysfunction...it is a muscle relaxant and works well if you grind teeth at night