What does FM muscle pain feel like?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kevin750, Apr 29, 2007.

1. kevin750

kevin750 New Member

Hello everyone and thank you for reading my message. I have muscle pain in my arms, hands, legs, back and neck. I'm even starting to feel it around my jaw. My muscle pains come and go throughout the day and appear in different places at different times. For instance, sometimes my two arms might hurt and later an arm and a leg, etc.

I've read about FM and the "tender spots," which seem to be the classic symptom. I'm not sure I have tender spots since my muscle pains come and go and even when they are present, I wouldn't consider them sharp pains but more like tired or pulled muscles.

I also get "pins and needles" in my hands and feet. Does anyone have similar symptoms?

Thank you sooooo much!

Kevin
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

Hi Kevin,

I think everyone experiences different types of pain.

Mine is not a sharp or stabbing pain. It is a dull muscle ache, like when you get the flu. It comes and it goes, throughout the day. Some days I feel like I have run a marathon, when I haven't done a thing!

You get pins and needles in your hands and feet. I do too, but I think that is from problems with my cervical spine, degenerative disc disease.
  3. kevin750

kevin750 New Member

Hi Empower,

Thank you so very much for your reply. I'm really, really worried about what's going on with me and have read what seems to be every page on the Internet about FM, MS, etc. I'll be seeing a neurologist for the first time on Tuesday. To add to what I was saying earlier, I had a benign brain tumor removed in February, but the neurosurgeon has told me these muscle problems and "pins and needles" aren't related to that.

I hope more people are as nice as you and let me know about their muscle pains and symptoms.

Take care!
    Kevin
  4. jole

jole Member

My muscle pain is mostly in my upper back, neck, upper arms and thighs. My back and neck get very tight and have hard knots in the muscles. Once that happens I will usually get a teriffic headache.

My arms and thighs get really tight with ridges instead of knots that are very painful. Massage does help, but it is usually there daily. As some of the others said, the pain can sometimes go deep to the bone. I too thought I had bone cancer at first.

This muscle pain also causes a lot of fatigue, feeling that the muscles are just playing out.

I so hope you don't have this.....
  5. bljnebraska

bljnebraska New Member

My pain changes constantly. It can be all over, legs only, arms only, etc. The worst is when I get knots in my shoulders and neck as I get horrible headaches. Many times my joints ache terribly. I've been tested for arthritis several times and it's always been negative. I've also had the pins and needles feelings in my hands and feet. Good luck to you bud.

Brian
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

Good luck on your appt

I hope he he opts to do an Xray or MRI on your neck, because with the pins and needles, it seems that there may be some impingment on a nerve or something. Of course, I am no doctor, but talk to him about this possibility.

I only say this because I do get the pins and needles and have denegenerative changes in my neck
  7. bluewing

bluewing New Member

It's always surprise, surprise...the most puzzling one for me was feeling like I had a vise around my middle, and everything was twisted in knots. (It comes and goes.) With fms, me/cfs, and arthritis I have no idea how to sort out the pains. I've had tingling pain, burning pain, pain in my jaws, feet, just about anywhere at some time, especially my chest and back (where it started out.)

After all these years I'm feeling like we will get some help in the near future. Please God.

8. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

My pain is widespread throughout my body. It is mostly burning, aching pain, and it's there all the time. It also hurts when it's touched too hard (like when hubby is massaging my upper back, it will make me jump in pain).

Best of luck with your appt.
    Mini
  9. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Along with the dull pain, comes the heaviness. My arms and especially my legs, feel like they are cast in cement. The pain I get in my arms and legs, is very different from the hips and back. That is the wonder of FM, how it can relocate to quickly.
  10. mscindy

mscindy New Member

The vice grip you describe sounds like gall bladder pain which definitely can come and go. Have you had that checked? I had mine removed, then my husband became plagued with the vice grip, and he opted to heal himself naturally with grapefruit juice and apple cider(got the info of the i-net) I do have to say that sometimes I have that vice grip feeling in my legs too when I'm having a particularly bad day, which of course has nothing to do with the gall bladder, and everything to do with FM.
  11. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

the achiness one would feel with the flu. It increases throughout the morning and into the afternoon until I am in severe pain all over, from my skin through the muscle to the depths of my bones/joints. All over. And by 7p.m., it is most unbearable. I can hardly stand it.

My doctor told me to try Tylenol Arthritis for the pain, but that does not even touch it. I am also on Lyrica, Pamelor, and Lexapro, but they do not do anything for my pain. They do help with sleep, which is a big problem with my FM.

Hope this helps!

God bless, and welcome to this board!

Debbie
  12. kevin750

kevin750 New Member

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. It's amazing how many of you were nice enough to take the time to answer so quickly.

It's very interesting to learn about each of you and the differences in your symptoms and to compare to my own. I'll take what I've learned with me tomorrow when I meet the neurologist and see where things go from there. I think I'll feel a little better once I finally know my diagnosis as not knowing is really wearing on me.

Thank you again!
    Kevin
  13. maryl

maryl New Member

Kevin, Sometimes the pain feels like you exercised too much and you're really sore. Sometimes it feels like having the flu; hence the fatigue. We all have similarities, and we all have our own unique pain too. Many of us have the pain and spasms in the neck and shoulder area. Sometimes when I wake up, I feel as tho I have been run over by a mack truck.
    Strangely, I saw where someone else wrote the same thing.
    I have started having tingling in my arms and hands too.
    Be sure to write everything down and take the list with you so you can remember everything you want to tell the Dr. Many people have the widespread pain and don't even know about the tender points til the Dr. touches them. Then you will know! Those aren't the only places it hurts. It's just the starting points. I hope the Dr. does well by you.
    (I'm just a little bit jealous because Drs. usually give men's complaints more credence.) God bless you. Let us know
    how you make out. Maryl
  14. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Kevin,

We are all different, but I'll describe my pain, and see if it helps you identify yours.

My Fibro pain is hot and raw. It feels like someone has peeled back my skin and is scraping the muscle. It also comes as sharp aches in the point areas. I also have pain if I try to drink alcohol of any kind. It then feels like searing pain is going through my veins.

My ME pain feels like I have the flu. My eyes become very sensitive to light and it is accompanhied by a crushing weakness or fatigue, which comes upon me dramatically, as if it were being poured over me.

Both illnesses come with many neurological symptoms , including brain fog, memory loss and disorietation. There are about 100 symptioms. You can find them by doing a search on this site.

I hope this helps you, and I also hope you feel better.

Peace,
    Terry

15. kevin750

kevin750 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all improving.

I visited the neurologist to learn more about my symptoms and what I may have. I didn't receive a lot of suggestions as to what that might be. I recently had a brain MRI which the neurologist has promised to review for possible MS, but he thinks it's unlikely that the neurologist who was involved with the MRI would have missed that even though she was looking at a tumor I've since had removed. I'm headed for quite a few more blood tests followed by an MRI of the spine and an EMG if all of them end up being necessary.

Take care,
    Kevin
  16. pianomoe

pianomoe New Member

My pain is mostly in both of my arms.
    It's a chore just to brush my teeth and lift my arm to eat!!
    I own a music store and teach 35 piano students/the pain is really hurting when I try and teach the students.
    It's no fun and really gets you down!!
    My biggest complaint is my constant fatigue and lack of energy!
    Good Luck
    Pianomoe
  17. kevin750

kevin750 New Member

Hi Pianomoe, I'm really sorry to hear FM is affecting you so much that it's a chore to eat. I think I understand the feeling of tiredness your arms must feel. I get a feeling like that, although not a severe. My muscles feel tired and heavy. Sometimes my fingers feel weak or awkward in some way.

I'm starting to get the idea that not everyone with FM has definite and pinpointed tender points that are painful to the touch although some of the "symptom lists" I've read had me thinking that way. My pains definitely move to various parts of my body and often feel crampy. I can't say putting pressure on them always or even often causes more pain. I would say I feel cramping somewhere in my body just about 24 hours per day.

I don't have an official diagnosis yet, but I'm glad there is a message board like this one since as I do feel more relaxed communicating with everyone and learning.

Take care of yourself...

Kevin
  18. MERLK

MERLK New Member

HI KEVIN...YOU SOUND JUST LIKE ME...ITS SO HARD TO DESCRIBE THE PAIN WHEN IT IS IN DIFFERENT PARTS AT DIFFERENT TIMES. IT IS ALSO HARD TO TELL A DOCTOR BECUASE ONLY IF YOU WRITE DOWN EVERY SINGLE PAIN ALL DAY LONG CAN HE MAKE ANY SENSE OF IT. I TOO HAVE TINGLES OR NUMBNESS IN DIFFERENT PARTS AT DIFFERENT TIMES..STRANGE. I CAN WAKE UP WITH ONE ARM NUMB AND TINGLEING AND THE REST OF ME FINE ..OR SOMETIMES WAKE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WITH A MUSCLE SPASM IN MY LEG OR SOMETIMES MY BACK. DURING THE DAY I FEEL MOSTLY LIKE I HAVE A FLU ACHY ALL OVER WITH SHARP PAINS IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF MY BODY...YES HERE AND THERE LIKE YOU DESCRIBE...IT IS WEIRD..BUT YOU ARE NOT ALONE..NOTHING I HAVE TRIED HAS REALLY HELPED EXCEPT TO GET INTERESTED IN SOMETHING THAT WILL TAKE YOUR MIND OFF IT..I FIND THE MORE I GIVE IN THE PAIN FEELINGS THE MORE I HURT SO I TRY TO DO SOMETHING THAT I CAN GET REALLY INTO SUCH AS RESEARCH (ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAT MY PAIN) I DO GENEOLOGY RESEARCH
    AND TAKE CARE OF GRANDCHILDREN (EVEN THO ITS REALLY HARD SOME DAYS)...SO GOOD LUCK WITH THE DOC..LET US KNOW WHAT HE SAYS...BUT USUALLY THE DOCS FIND NOTHING WRONG AND YOU KEEP ON SUFFERING....TALK TO YOU LATER..MARILYN