What does herxing mean?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I'm still learning.

sofi
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

The cause of herxheimers (Jarisch- Herxheimer) is thought to be the result of endotoxin release or the killing off of bacteria through antibiotic use. This term was first used when reaction to treatment for Lyme's came about.

If we are talking about NOT killing off bacteria through antibiotics, then the herx may be a result of the toxin(s) produced or the body's immune response to the invaders. Thus, one can achieve a herx through natural immune response, or with supplements that boost the immune response.

A herx can also happen when you are ill and your body is fighting off critters. That's what happens when you are rottenly ill! Your body through elevated temperature is killing off critters, you feel rotten, have head aches, body aches, general flu-like feelings, etc. Thus, the symptoms of the flu could be considered a "herx." (?)

Just my thoughts, Jeannette
  3. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi there,

Is herxing the same as a flare up? I'm still learning too.

Thanks Jana
  4. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

Those of you on abx or other drugs for your condition. Blaming all problems on "herxing" is dangerous. You need to keep in mind that you might be having a bad reaction to the drug rather than "herxing".
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If one is truly allergic to a med, there will be obvious symptoms such as a rash, swelling, and/or breathing difficulties. An immune reaction and the ensuing Herxing are different from this. It is important to know the difference but it is also important not to stop taking one's ABX because one is having an immune response and/or is Herxing.

The whole thing usually starts with feeling aches and pains and the sensation of having the flu. It can include swollen lymph nodes, fever, extreme fatigue, sore throat, and a headache. This is an immune reaction when the immune system is trying to isolate and kill pathogens.

Herxing happens when so many pathogens are killed off that they cannot be excreted before they turn toxic in the body. The body goes into overdrive trying to purge the toxic material. It may produce nausea, profuse sweating, and diarrhea from hell. The foul necrotic odor of the stool is probably the strongest hint that a Herx is taking place. When I am Herxing from a bacteria killoff, my torso has a distinct burning sensation. When I am Herxing from viruses, I have chilling in my torso. After one has gone through as many of these cycles as I have, one learns what is happening.

I am allergic to Cipro and one dose had me ready to go to the ER from labored breathing. Labored breathing is not part of Herxing.

Docs seldom tell patients that they may feel worse before they feel better. Stopping ABX before all are taken can lead to drug-resistant strains of bacteria. If one is ever in doubt about whether one is Herxing versus an allergic reaction, one should call one's doc.

Love, Mikie
  6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I drasticly changed my diet when I was diagnose (yeast-free bread, no sugar etc.) I really started the diet about a week ago. This week I've been running a low grade temp, sore throat, and nausea. I'v been wondering if this is a herxing reaction to the diet. Could that be?

Sofia
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yeast thrives on starch and sugar so it's possible that some yeasties are dying off. It's amazing what dietary changes can do. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Sofi