What Does (SIC) Mean?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by budmickl, Jun 25, 2009.

1. budmickl

budmickl New Member

In this statement, what does (sic) stand for? I see it all the time in quotes of people...

how deeply sadden [sic] I am by Michael's

I hope this isn't too silly of question.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sic means "It's really true".

It's used primarily in quotes than contain an error. Shows that the error is
    in the quotation.

As in: He said, "After all, this is the 20th century(sic)." But it said it in the
    21st century.

So the error was in the original quote.

W/ regard to the Michael Jackson quote, it should be, "I am deeply saddened."

3. mezombie

mezombie Member

I always thought (sic) was an abbreviation of sorts for "spelling incorrect".
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

it meant: Just like that.

As those above say, to indicate that the error, of whatever nature, is as it appears in the quote - just like that - to distinguish it from an unnoticed error made by the current writer.

It is also, sometimes, used to draw attention to the original error by smarty-pantsers. :O)

ETA or "just as is" might be more accurate to indicate that the quote is correct as is.

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2009]
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It's from the Latin: thus. Which is pretty much what we've been saying. It is thus, don't blame me!

Not silly at all. Some of us just lurve (sic) questions like this.

I know I do!

6. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Budmicki, Hi All,

I've also wondered what SIC meant. After reading the responses here the first time around, I have to admit, I was more confused than ever. (Nothing like having people with brain fog trying to explain something to someone else who has brain fog). Hmmm, did that make sense?

Anyway, after the second time around, I think I got it. (Wouldn't bet on it however). I think Jean nailed it pretty good. BTW, what does ETA stand for? Really!

Best, Wayne
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Jean nailed it.

Estimated Time of Arrival.

You know what's really scary? The acronyms are multiplying at an alarming rate! I just found out what BTW means!

ETA for "sic" it helps to come from a Catholic background: Sic transit gloria mundi or, roughly translated from the Latin: thus, the glories of the world are fleeting.

8. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

Rafiki is right about ETA

but what is WTH?
  9. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Okay, WTH is...what the hay...

ETA makes sense for estimated time of arrival at an airport, but what about when you go back and edit a post and put "ETA"...I think that's what Wayne meant???? I assumed it had something to do with editing the post!

10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Oh dear...

I'm so silly!

ahh, oh my,

Edited to add, yeah

and, I used it right there without even noticing.

AND, I had a moment of concern for Wayne.

sic gloria transit!

Smarty pants,

ETA I'm still laughing at myself.

11. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

but I'm having fun not understanding what the hay is happening....rotflmao!!!

12. springwater

springwater Active Member

i used to think (sic) meant, like "I know I know, what Im saying is banal"!!! glad to find out what it really means, tho i too am still unsure what it really means from the above explanations..brain fog here.

And before someone asks rotflmao is..it means rolling on the floor laughing my ar*e off.

God Bless all you lovely laughing creatures

13. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Oh Dear, we've got some rare company tonight and I'm rolling on my bed laughing my a** off, and trying to be quiet about it! Gosh, where to start...

Rafiki, you had good reason to be concerned "for a moment". I was actually confused for more than a moment as I went back to your post where you used ETA, and you know what? I says to myself, "WTH, this doesn't make any sense to me at all." Of course, I assumed I was only clicking on 1 1/2 cylinders. Then SJ came to my rescue. Whew! Thanks SJ. :)

I had never become familiar with WTH before, but you know what? I figured it out right away, and just in time! It came in quite handy during my moment of confusion! My first interpretation was actually slightly less proper than that however. Perhaps a male thing.

Hey Debra, I had never seen rotflmao before. I got a good hoot out of that one, after Springwater was kind enough to fill me in on its meaning. I would never have gotten that one in a million years. Thanks for your help on that one Springwater.

BTW Springwater, "lovely laughing creatures" ... loved it!

BTW, I only mastered BTW recently. But it can still kind of stump me for a moment on some foggy days. Oh Dear....

Love, Wayne

ETA :):))) BTW, Thank you all you lovely laughing gals![This Message was Edited on 06/27/2009]
  14. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I have the answer to my question and lot more! I love seeing how entertaining this board can be!!

15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

taking one more swipe at "sic" but i promise to stay away from "ETA"!!!

"Sic" is from the Latin and means: thus. I have out my OED (Oxford English Dictionary - 3 volume set so the entries are teeny and I must use the magnifying glass that comes with) for a useful definition of "thus". The meaning which best illustrates its use as it relates to "sic" is: in this way, like this; in the way just indicated.

So, when quoting something that contains an error, "sic" is used to indicate that the error was in the original quote (in the way just indicated) and is not an error on the part of the person quoting.

"Sic transit gloria mundi", which as a child I always thought was about a girl called Gloria Mundy with motion sickness, means: Thus [like this], earthly glory is fleeting.

It still makes me laugh when I remember the earnest concern I felt for Wayne as I explained to him that ETA was estimated time of arrival.... bwahahahahahahahaha!

Nothing makes me laugh as long and as hard as when I've been really silly! I crack me up!

Anyway, hope that helped.

Probably not!

ah well,

ETA I think sic should be in square brackets, maybe.

So, I went to check online and found this really amusing explanation of the usage of "sic" at the online Urban Dictionary. It is what I referred to earlier as the "Smarty pants" usage.

1. sic

Square brackets are most commonly used around the word 'sic' (from the Latin 'sicut', meaning 'just as'), to explain the status of an apparent mistake. Generally, sic means the foregoing mistake (or apparent mistake) was made by the writer/speaker I am quoting; I am but the faithful messenger; in fact I never get anything wrong myself. Book reviewers in particular adore to use sic. It makes them feel terrific, because what it means is that they've spotted this apparent mistake, thank you, so there is no point in writing in. However, there are distinctions within sic: it can signify two different things:

1) This isn't a mistake, actually, it just looks like one to the casual eye.

2) Tee hee, what a dreadful error! But it would be dishonest of me to correct it.

I love this stuff! And, I confess, I have reviewed a few books in my time but I never, ever, quoted anything from the book that would occasion the use of sic!

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2009]
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

*et. al. is backwoods speak as in, "The bar et Al last fall rait aftur he was ah
    huntin' fur deer that time and axidently shot a hol in Malburt's still.

Thanks for the kind words, Jean. Did I ever tell you I had an ancestor who
    was a smith? He lived in Onondaga County, New York. A village needed a
    blacksmith and gave him free land to move to their village and take care of
    their horseshoes, et. al.

The computer slang site is interesting. I have bookmarked it.

ETA I estimate I'll be back in 6 hours to do some editing.

BILLCAMO New Member

SIC (somewhat inaccurate comment) , is often accompanied with BTW (by the way) , ETA (estimated time of arrival) , WTH (what the heck) , and several other acronyms.

One not often included and known is LEE (latin explains everything or latin expletive explanation).

LED (light emitting diode) can also be used for (latin expletive deleted).

I hope this reply helps things appear a clear as MUD (my understandable definition). :>)

Blessings ,

18. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Oh my that was funny.

I think sic really means, Silly In ChitChat, not to be confused with Sicily In Cheesehat.

Wisconsin joke!!

I could go on but will not, LOL (love (him) or leave (him).

Do you use the straight or round brackets for a word that is implied in a sentence?

Someone stop me, I am cracking myself up. CMU?

It's been a boring day in the neighborhood. Thanks for the laugh(s), I needed that!!

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2009]
  19. JimB51

JimB51 Member

THAT clears it all up for me.
    If I could only remember what we were talking about!