What does your knee pain feel like???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Dec 6, 2005.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I had been trying to walk a half hour each lunchtime but I now seem to have developed a problem with my right knee.

I saw my family physician yesterday and he said the the ligaments are fine and there's no swelling. It actually feels like the bone to the left of the knee cap hurts.

For those of you who suffer with knee pain, can you tell me what it feels like to you (I know that's a hard thing to explain)

Thanks in advance,

Eileen
  2. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hello Eileen!

If you check out the diagrams of the human body with FMS, you'll see tender-points near the knee. Is that the area where you are having pain?

I have FMS and what is called "bone-on-bone" osteoarthritis (no cartilage left)in both knees and the pain varies. Mostly, when I stand, it is like severe, heavy, pressure on my bones but sometimes there is very sharp (intense) pain with a crunching noise. It almost feels like there are tiny pieces of buckshot caught in between the knee where the two bones meet.

Another thing to consider is something called "referred pain". This is when the pain in a specific area is not actually being caused by the area that is hurting.

For example, the middle of your upper arm might ache but the cause could be something wrong in your shoulder. If you do a search on "referred pain" on the Internet, you can find out more about this.

Hope you can find the cause of this and feel better soon!

Janice
  3. Geechie

Geechie New Member

and that is how my knees feel sometimes. Couple of times a day, actually.
  4. Trezur

Trezur New Member

Hi Eileen!

I too have experienced excruciating knee pain. To me it felt like someone was using a paring knife to jab up underneath the lower portion of my kneecap.

Hope this helps a little!

Trezur
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

It's settling down a bit but I know that once I start walking again it's going to fire right up. I've been in a bit of a flare the past couple of weeks. (Couldn't get up for work today and I slept until noon)

I've also wondered if it's a trigger point as opposed to a tender point. It seems to be slightly below where the tender point is. My doctor did mention referred pain as well.

I bought myself a nice copper coloured walking stick so I can be flashy when I need to use it. Might be handy to keep my hubby in line too!!!

Thanks again all, I never seem to know what this DD is going to throw at me but I do think this has all been part of the FM flare.

Take care of yourselves,

Eileen
  6. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

The kind of knee pain I have?

I feel like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz- like my joints need oil--

Actually, I feel like that in a lot of other places too!

Sharon
  7. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Mine feels like someone is trying to pry my kneecap off with a knife. It's the worst!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  8. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

What an interesting thread!

I too have knee pain. Mine is mostly in the left knee. It hurts near the bone on the right side of the knee/inside of the knee--basically the same spot as Eileen but on the other knee.

The pain also sometimes migrates arond the kneecap.

I had 2 MRIs, knee surgery and four months of P.T. specifically for that knee, but in the end everyone was baffled. No specific injury was found in the MRIs or exploratory surgery. The P.T. didn't help at all.

Now, sometimes my right knee hurts too. I have a hard time finding a comfortable position to sleep in, because my knees hurt no matter what position I'm in. It especially hurts when I'm lying on my side, and my knee caps press against each other.

The only thing that has helped me with the knee pain is gentle massage. My massage therapist used gentle massage and cranio-sacral therapy, and I was pain-free in the knees for several days following.

It's interesting that several of us have similar knee problems. It must come with the FM/CFS territory.
  9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Sounds very much like the opposite leg to mine. Not nice to have but better to not have it alone! I'm guessing it's either a TRG or a TRP. Massage apparently helps to reduce TRG's.

I'm going to give that a whirl and see if it helps. i hate the thought of having to give up the only form of exercise I seem to be able to do. (Aqaufit classes are just too far away in the evengs)

I'm also going to try my sons knee brace and see if that allows me to walk....

Not till next week mind you.

Regards,

Eileen
  10. darude

darude New Member

Good info here gurl!

[ advertisement ]