What dr. treats your fm?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have been seeing a reheum.Not sure if she is the right one to be treating my fm. She doesn't give out pain meds. Wonder if a neuro. would be better. I have been thinking of letting my family dr. take over my treatment cause I think he would give me pain meds. Not sure which way to go.
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

My Rheumy wants to give me meds but I'm unable to tolerate them. I'm in CA though. I think it depends on the doctor, not what kind they are but whether they are FM literate.

Some Neuros are, some Rheumys are, some Family Doctors are. The way to find good docs near you that's worked for me is to email support groups near you and ask them for doctor recommendations. You can be specific like asking who would most likely treat your pain with meds, etc...

I saw in your profile you're in NC and I found this link for you for support groups:

There are probably other links for NC as well on the Web. Good luck and let us know if you find one or need more help.

[This Message was Edited on 07/03/2009]
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

My Internal Medicine Dr treats me for my fibro and all that goes along with it. I really have lucked out with her. She is from Jordan and sometimes I think that helps me in the long run that she has studied all over the world. She went to Medical school in Bagdad and she did her residency in Jordan before coming to the United States. She is a real down to earth gal with 7 kids of her own so she kind of "gets it" as far as the stresses in our life. Good luck on your search.

4. soulight

soulight New Member

is my internal medicine doctor. She had referred me to a rheum. , who turned out to be a quack ( his opinion " fibromyalgia is from repressed homosexual tendencies"). My doctor said that she will never send anyone to him again. The only reason that she sent me in the first place is that this was the only rheum. in town that was covered by my lame insurance.

I hope you find just the perfect doctor for you !
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Holly, are you kidding me?? That's why your rheumy said? OMG - that's a good one!! Quack is way too nice of a word!

My regular GP treats me - however I do see a rheumy every six months for his 'opinion' which my Dr. appreciates. If he prescribes anything new, she follows his recommendations. My regular Dr. is great. I've told her I'd pay her 50 bucks just to listen to me - I always end up crying in her office. I don't think she knows what to say to me half the time. =) It's the same old story, just a different day.

The treatments are really treating symptoms anyway - my doc prescribes my pain meds. We tried a pain mgmt clinic which I didn't care for that Dr. AT ALL and she had Fibro!
    I recently went to a psychiatrist only because I know someone here personally who has Fibro and her psych treats her - highly recommends a psych only because they know meds so well.
    He treats my thyroid (even though my labs are fine), added an anti-depressant and increased another med that my regular GP prescribed.

I did then go to my GP and ask if she was okay with the changes and she was. I don't want any conflicts between what each Doc thinks I need.

As mentioned, it matters more about the Dr. than what kind of Dr. Find a compassionate, knowledgable Dr. who cares about your quality of life!
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

I started out with a rheumatologist, which dx me. Later, I had to find a different one. Finally, I was refered to a PAIN MANAGEMENT DR. and this was the one that finally didnt view me as a dope head and was not afraid to prescribe Pain Medication that actually gave me some relief.

In my opinion, if u are needing narcotics for pain relief, a pain management dr. is the one to go and see. Hope this helps !

Love Krik
  7. catsrock35

catsrock35 New Member

I was just diagnosed about a month ago, but have been living with this for years. I am a nurse practitioner with fibromyalgia. I have also treated clients with them and learned how to do it without narcotics, or very little. I was just suspended from my practice. I feel it is because I was diagnosed. Anytime you help a patient and give them a narcotic when they need it they will come down on the doctor. They had me drug tested and humiliated me. I am so scared. I am raising three kids and now I have a chronic illness and may have to file for disability. They also told me I am crazy if I am not on drugs then I need to be on them. I am taking cymbalta, ultram and flexaril and I feel like that is fine. I also dance and go to physical therapy on my good days. This is all so new. My mother is a nurse and has it also. She is overmedicated and given up, but she has also gotten worse. I am so afraid of becoming that in a few years.