What effects do you get from Zoloft?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dlebbole, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hi - I am new here but have been reading this board for quite a while. Even though my primary concern right now is cancer, I am a longtime CFS/Fibro person. 20+ years. My oncologist wants me to take Zoloft for my anxiety, and I'm wondering what experiences others have had with this drug. No matter how many times I tell him about CFS and the drug sensitivities, I feel like it's not registering. If you've taken it, did it help, and was it worth the potential side effects? Thanks. diane
  2. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

The only problem is that it does indeed lower the sex drive a bit...bummer. But it has mellowed us both out, so we don't react as fast, thinking the worst of something and we give things a chance before blowing up. It has taken the nasty uninvited, untrue bad, bad thoughts out of my husband's head. I can tell if he misses a pill because he gets mean and controlling and unreasonable, fast. We are both on a VERY low dose of 25 mg a day, taken in the AM otherwise it interferes with our sleep. Hope this helps,
    Tibbie
    p.s. I have fibro, my husband doesn't. I had to start taking klonipin to sleep because of the zoloft but I didn't want to stop because I have problems with depression.[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2003]
  3. klynnrobinson

klynnrobinson New Member

Diane,
    i have been taking zoloft for about 6 months now but havent seen any improvement.i take it for anxiety and depression.but everyone is different.so it may help you.i hope this has answered question and good luck
    klynn
  4. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Dr. tried me on Zoloft earlier this year for anxiety...I had a horrible time with it, I shook so bad I couldn't hold a glass of water, couldn't eat, and had some really crazy nightmares, I stopped taking it, side affects were worse for me than the anxiety. I have a couple of family members that have been on it, and it has worked wonders for them, no problems at all... with me it was like drinking 3 pots of black coffee and then trying to function. Everyone is different I think...I did better with Xanax.

I've had so many medications make me really sick and miserable over the years...you get half afraid to try anything after awhile.
  5. pamj

pamj New Member

I have a LOT of trouble trying new meds, but I was able to work slowly on zoloft for my anxiety. I was having terrible panic attacks a few months after getting sick with CFS. My first doc started me on Celexa, but the next morning I was getting heart palpitations & went to the ER for blacking out.

When my next doc suggested Zoloft for the anxiety/panic, I was worried, but she starts me on any new meds VERY slowly. I took only 1/4 of the 25mg tablet for the first week, and slowly worked up to 1/2, then 3/4, till I was at 25mg. That's my suggestion on starting any new med that is able to be split, since being sensitive usually means that we feel any side effects strongly.

The only negative side effect that I notice is a decreased sex drive. Some people actually feel more energetic from taking it, but it's sometimes hard for me to tell what is making me feel better or worse. I've been taking it for about a year now, and the anxiety is definitely improved.

good luck,
    Pam