What Else Can Go Wrong

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Apr 11, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Today, I went downstairs into our basement to start a load of laundry and our basement was flooded! All of the carpet is wet, my Ebay boxes are wet, everything, furniture is wet, everything. Plus, more rain is expected in the forecast so it doesn't look like it isn't going to get any better......{sigh}
  2. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I hope none of the eBay items were ruined! Some people are not understanding when it comes to that feedback.

It's an awful thing, water damage. Take it slowly, try not to overdo it.......
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

Oh I am SO SORRY- I do know exactly how you feel. When I lived in my mom's house she had a full 1200 sf basement but was unfinished, HOWEVER it stored 100's of boxes from her hoarding days, plus I had my "work shop" down there too.

Every time we had significant rain it would flood. Then I finally fixed it using concrete and a special paint for the block. After that, the washer hose broke in the middle of the night and I had 6 inches of water in the entire basement. I had to go rent a sump pump oh what a mess.

I take it you use your basement for living space, call the insurance co and get pros in to take care of it. You sure have had your share of problems, and don't need to be on your hands and knees getting water up.

You have my deepest empathy and am sending prayers to you and me, my mud pit is back due to rain today threw the weekend. I just cleaned 8 muddy paws, it seemd like it never ends sometimes- Hugs to you-Carla
  4. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Unfortunately, insurance, in the US, won't cover any flood/water damage - it's specifically excluded from all homeowner policies. And, even if you buy flood insurance, it won't cover damage to items in a basement (go figure - that's our govt for you).

Some homeowner policies give back coverage (if you buy it) for flood due to overflow of sump pump.

Every time it rains, my basement floods. So all the major applicances (washer, furnace, dryer, etc) are elevated. And anything of value, we discovered the hard way, is not to be placed on the floor.
  5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am so sorry, what a pain in the butt. Well, I wish I could come help you because i would be there in a minute. I hope you get help with the mess.

God Bless & Take Care

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear the news. Seems like we shouldn't have to deal w/ flooded basements on top of these DDs.

Does that make sense? "Basements on top?"

Anyway hope the damage is minimal. Can you hire some teenagers to help w/ the cleanup?

Good luck

7. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow,,sorry to hear this! Do you have those disaster cleanup companies in your area?

They advertise them over hear alot,,,,,Flood cleanup,,,smoke damage,,,etc,,,,

They probably coast an arm and a leg though!,,,,,,,,whish i could help you too!,,,,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2008]
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Sorry but I just saw this post for some reason. What a terrible thing. Something similar happened to friends of hours in Illinois. When I spoke to her the other day she said it was still pouring. A few weeks or a month or so ago parts of their basement was also flooded. They were going to have to pull out the carpet and get rid of alot of stuff and to save what they could.

Perhaps you can salavage some of it like my friends did and sell it at a garage sale or wherever. That is what they are going to do when the weather clears up.

I am so sorry to hear about it happening. No one needs that for sure but those of us with DD's like ours need it even less.

Hope you can get it taken care of without to much money and hassle.

Blessings and hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 04/14/2008]
  9. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Just a thought, assuming the water is coming in from the outside; many years ago (18), when we bought our house, my husband had the foresight to request that the seller have a "french trench" dug around the house as a condition of the sale. This type of trench,along with the special black paint (a waterproofing paint we applied directly the the concrete in the basement before it was finished) has kept our downstairs bone dry. We have a few neighbors who still get occasional flooding, none of them have the trench. Speak to a plumbing contractor or a GC about doing it--it can be a bit pricey, but may be well worth it.

[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2008]
  10. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Home insurance companies have a way of dismissing claims if not reported promptly, like within a week of damage whether or not you know about problem or not.

One of the "black molds" killed several children in cleveland in circumstances wherein basements were flooded and damp. Central heating air intake was in the basement and vented on cribs,etc.

Guess you know that if basement is watertight, the whole house can raise up like a floating boat.

Wishing you better luck now, cheers, your mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2008]