What exactly can psychologists do to help us?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Jan 17, 2007.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

The psychiatrist post made me want to ask. Yes, I'm depressed because I hurt like heck and I want my life back. I wasn't depressed before so if you can fix that pain, fatigue, sleep problem, things would be great. Do I have any issues. Yes, but I'd like to keep them. I kind of think that having a few issues makes us unique and I'd like to stay a little unique.

All the talking in the world to someone who really has no idea how we feel doesn't seem like a good use of time.

Kind of like a child psychologist who has never had one.
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I don't know what good it would do to see a psychologist, but the psychiatrist prescribes soma and lorazepam. That helps me ALOT!!
    Mini
  3. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

My psychologist I saw at the pain clinic was a godsend. Not only did he validate my pain but helped me deal with the pain better. He also helped greatly in getting my SSD. I was going through a divorce at the time and even though I was considered disabled and getting SSD my ex had my pain dr. and psychologist take a deposition. Yes, I was married to a control freak/narcissistic/psychopath. LOL Anyway my psychologist testified at my divorce trial and helped me immensely and he did this all for free. I was and am truly blessed.

I had to stop seeing him due to insurance and now see a social worker who has really helped. They are all educated in matters we don't even think about. She even told me that she learns so much from me and is able to then help others in my situation.

She mentioned the task forces I am on and it is a true blessing to be helping others. Anything to lift the soul also helps the body and I think those in the mental health business do just that.
  4. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Hi Cjcookie~~

I can't answer your question completely, but I am a psychologist myself and find that now I have this disease, I think or like to pray I'm more compassionate in my practice than I was before.

I work mostly with people who have abuse issues, panic attacks, post traumatic stress, a few other issues that have formed their lives into what make people what they are now.

What type of a person you were before you became sick can greatly affect who you are now, and loosing yourself to this terrible disease and how to accept it into your daily way of life now. I find myself more compassionate now that I too have this and hopefully I can help people to understand what or how our lives have changed from it. And what we can do to improve ourselves to live a more fulfilled life that we feel we were robbed of by getting this disease.

I would recommend talking with someone about many issues besides your illness, so you can find some comfort knowing you are not alone in this journey and find what your expectations might be that are right for you, and how to deal with it properly. Also to take away the stress we feel everyday, either from the pain it causes or the stress that causes pain, and the depression, can be a big help.

I know your pain my friend, so if you feel comfortable about talking with someone, even if its not a psychologist, but perhaps just a good friend, it can be very helpful. Please remember though that who ever you talk with, that they have the compassion to understand what your going through and not pass judgement on you, but give you all the support and love they can!!!

I wish you all the best with whatever you do.
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

You guys are my psychologists - and now I know one of you really are. I do have some great friends to talk to. It's funny, I talk about different things to each one. One's a nurse - so the medical stuff. One is a cancer survivor - so family issues, pain issues, psychological issues. The list goes on.

Thanks again.