what exactly is fibro ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NiKki9, Jun 2, 2003.

1. NiKki9

NiKki9 New Member

ok im 15 and my doc thinks about 90 percent that i have fibro.. and im getting other testing done... well anyways what exactly is fibro.. is it considered a disease ? i been looking up info online but i really dont fully understand what it is, thankyou
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Fibro can be very hard to explain, at least for me. Here is definition I found on the web some time ago.
    Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and multiple tender points. "Tender points" refers to tenderness that occurs in precise, localized areas, particularly in the neck, spine, shoulders, and hips. People with this syndrome may also experience sleep disturbances, morning stiffness, irritable bowel syndrome, cognitive function problems, severe pain, anxiety, and other symptoms. (believe me, many other symptoms !)

Some people refer to it as a condition, disease, disorder illness,etc. The exact cause is unknown and there may be more than one cause.
    I have had this for 16 years along with chronic fatigue but by no means do I consider myself an expert. There are people on this board who are more knowledgable than I am and hopefully one will respond to your question.
    You can learn a lot from this board and if you do have fibro we welcome your contributions and questions to the board.
    Good luck. You are in my prayers.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2003]
  3. kgg

kgg New Member

Hopefully you will be able to connect with them. I am going to take a stab at your question as best as my fibro fogged brain can. I'm sure others will correct or add their opinions.

First of all, they really haven't totally decided what it is. We call it a disease, but it is technically called a syndrome. A collection of symptoms. You usually would feel like you have the flu. Ache all over, muscle stiffness, fatigue, chills, some nausea and a whole list of other crazy symptoms that don't seem like they should go together but they do. You are not the only one that doesn't fully understand.

Treatment usually is for what symptoms are bothering you. Just lost all my brain power. But this site is a very good site for info and support. Hope you visit frequently. And hope others will respond to answer your questions. -Karen

4. stilhere

stilhere New Member

bumping this up Nikki so others can see
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Nikki, welcome to the board. I think Princessraye gave you a good explanation.

I am so sorry to hear that you may have this illness. It is so hard to treat.

Take care, and again welcome.................

Shalom, Shirl