What FM symptom "scares" you the most?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I hope this qustion was clear. I realize that all of us suffer from this condition differently, yet we all seem to understand each others symptoms and issues with FM.

What I mean by "symptom" is that when you are in a flare, what brings on the most anxiety for you? For example, for me, when my all over pain is more intense for whatever reason, I start to panic more, have more anxiety and become more fearful. Usually this happens when my costochondritis kicks up.

I feel like I have a weight on my chest, and my fatigue gets much worse. This always passes though in time. I have suffered from this for as long as I have had symptoms of FM which is now close to over 20 years.

Also, when both arms, hips, low back and my knees are very painful, I get scared. You would think I would be used to this by now, but it always catches me by surprise.

Overdoing it, stress, the foods I eat, the weather,lack of sleep, almost anything can bring it on.

I have a level of pain and fatigue everyday, but some flares can be much worse than my everyday complaints and they always scare me for a period of time.

Brainfog just makes me depressed, but it hasn't necessarily scared me.........at least not yet. Hugs, Chelz.

2. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

it is about the same as you, but I am always scared that I could be having a heart attack and not even no it.

The pain in my chest and then the pain in the left arm also.

But like you said it does pass, so I just assume it is another fibo thing.

Then when the flare is really bad it feels like you are about to die.OMG the pain all over the body.

That pain doesnt scare me.......Just sooooooo tired of it... Patty
  3. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

...is when a new symptom appears. You become familiar with the regular pain and fog and expect the flares to come and go. But when some new pain pops up - I kinda' hold my breath - wondering if this is part of the FM or something else. When the pain subsides, I'm usually on the internet or in a book, researching and making sure it's not something I need to call the dr. about.

So I guess my worst fear is fear of the unknown.
    Knowledge is Power.

4. ChicagoEmerald

ChicagoEmerald New Member

I guess the thing that scares me the most is knowing that I will have to continue living with this DD the rest of my life. I have struggled with FM for 6 yrs now. I feel so bad complaining when I read that so many of you have had to deal with FM for so many years. (Chelz almost 20 yrs! My heart goes out to all of us that have FM.) It's hard to not feel overwhelmed knowing that this isn't going to just run it's coarse and never come back. I have over come a lot of things in my life and knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel makes things easier to deal with. There is no light at the end of the chronic FM tunnel.

I am a very independent person. I like to be in control of my life. Make my own decisions, choose my own paths. FM has taken such a huge part of that away from me. Just like all of you, we become different. That scares me. I never wanted to be different, just myself. I want my independence and control back and I know longer am in control of obtaining it. FM controls what I do, when I can do it, and a huge list of things I will never be able to do again. Scared, yes... and also very angry. I want my old life back.
  5. poets

poets Member

It really scares me because I think to myself "What will I do if this gets so bad I can't function at all? Will I end up in a Nursing Home? Who will look after me? Will I be a burden to my children?"

Yeah, I want the old me back, too. I try not to think back because then I really see how far downhill I've come.

6. ChicagoEmerald

ChicagoEmerald New Member

I share that same fear as well. I'm 44 now. I'm afraid of getting older and losing the ability to care for myself. Nothing would be worse for me.

Your not alone in your fears.

7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

The actual physical scares I've had is such intense chest pain - it doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I sit here and think should I call 911?

But what really scares me the most isn't a symptom. It's more the 'how much longer can I tolerate this pain'? I still absolutely live day by day and try to stay positive. In the back of my mind though, I think I'm afraid. I know I'm afraid. I'm much more afraid of losing my ability to "keep my chin up" so to speak. I work VERY hard at that and I know what a difference attitude makes in one's life in general. I have learned to give myself a break, a mental day or two off when needed.

I'm afraid I'm watching my life slip by and before you know it, it will be over.
  8. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

When my arms get that lined with lead fealing I am a bit scared that they are always going to feel like that. It makes everything I do so much harder.
    The days I wake up with the shakes I am a bit afraid that they are not going to settle down and stop shaking. There are days when that first cup of tea is dangerous.
    I worry that the fatigue is going to take over and I am not going to be able to do much of anything.
    The never ending pain in my shoulders and neck are a part of me now and I can usually just do what I have to do in spite of it.
  9. Mavericklynx

Mavericklynx New Member

Fibromyalgia doesn't scare me anymore but sometimes all of the things that have been written here have scared me at one time or another.... I honestly think that the one that scared me the most was being admitted to the hospital for having an actual heart attack not once but twice and both times it was different. Instead of the what I thought was typical pain associated with fibro-crap really freaked me out because I had always invisioned a heart attack as being like what ya see on t.v., a person grabbing their chest and dropping to the floor either passing out or dying!. I did however witness my own Mother--- before, during and after a couple of strokes and firmly believe that she too was suffering from fibromylagia because of how she described the creepy-crawly feelings under her skin and the burning and stinging sensations that she felt in her legs, neck and back. I am sure that if she did mention any of this to her doctor, that they kept it in the box of unexplainable conditions back in the sixties through the early years of the eighties. She did however explain to me just what she felt and how she felt when she was about to have a stroke and it was not anything like or near what I experienced in the last four years from two heart attacks. I probably have my share of phobias and stressed out moments but I think that not being truly understood has made me the most fearful.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2008]
  10. homesheba

homesheba New Member

for sure.
    id always been a physically strong woman
    now i feel so wear and weak
    and plus i have no kids-
    so id have no one there for me when i get worse..
  11. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I have two sons who are now in their twenties and, despite having a mother who is so forgetful and has been battling fibro for about sixteen years now, have turned out to be pretty great guys.

But the look on their faces when they ask, "hey mom, remember when we did this?" or "mom, you remember such and such, don't you?" It makes my heart ache and I have tried to let on as if I recalled, but it has often come out that I had no memory of it at all. Where was I? Where did I go and what has my life become?

My life IS my husband and my sons and if I lose my memories with them, what do I have? This is when I realize how terrified an Alzheimer's patient must feel. Nothing I do can bring those memories back. And it not only scares me, but it breaks my heart. Messing with my muscles, my GI system and my sleep is one thing. But taking away my memories is just so cruel.
  12. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

scares me the most because I don't know how long it's going to last and if I can handle it. Then the anxiety starts in my chest and makes the pain that much worse. And I wish I had some strong pain meds for this purpose....it would help my anxiety and courage just to know I had something to fall back on.
    Ho hum...
  13. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

Everything scares me about this not knowing what life will be a year, 5 years from now! I hate this i want me back! I hear others say that too which helps knowing it just not me feeling that. i don't have the chest pains yet but when i am in severe pain i can feel my bladder spasming? Tire of this dd controlling my life. Went grocery shopping with boyfriend saturday and yesterday hurt so bad and could hardly walk from the exhaustion! I am 47 going on what? And how can something be so painful, life altering and nobody knows anything I guess that is someithing that scares me most! I havelost control this controls me that p.... me off! Hugs to everyone!
  14. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Several things scare me ~ One is will my pain get worse over the coming months and years. Since I became sick in April the pain has gotten worse but has finally hit a plateau for now.

New pain symptoms also scare me.

I worry about my family becoming frustrated with me since they can't visually see I'm sick and don't understand what it is to live with chronic pain. I try to be brave but sometimes it's hard.

I cherish my good days when I have pain but I can almost pretend that I'm not sick~ almost but not really.

Take care, Susan
  15. The horrid pain in my back, hip/butt area and the not being able to sleep. And the fibro fog is getting bad. Living this way for the rest of my life worries me.
  16. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

It scares me to think that I could end up with pain so bad I can't get out of bed at all. I have no grandkids yet, but I want to be able to enjoy them when I do. My mom had ALZ and she was robbed of seeing my boys grow up. I also worry about being a burden to my family. I want to remain independent and be able to participate in my life and my family's life. I guess that is the part that scares me the most. I do a LOT of praying. As everyone with FM knows, some days are worse than others. We have to hang in there.
  17. navywife30

navywife30 New Member

I guess the brain fog is what scares me most. I wonder sometimes if I'm going to burn the house down or do something stupid and hurt my daughter. I almost had an accident one day and I couldn't remember how I got there. My husband says we watch these movies or have conversations and I don't remember them.

I also hate that there is so little known about it. There are no "real" treatments.

And I want me back!! I want to be the person with endless energy that I used to be. It scares me that my daughter is only 9 and I don't know how I'm going to take care of her from day to day. I just wish it would go away!!
  18. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

What scares me most after having this for 35+ years is the costochondritis flares (fear of having a heart attack) and fear that I'll no longer be able to walk (every night I dream of my legs giving out and not being able to walk).

DRAGONSGIRL New Member

Of falling and breaking my hip or back so I'll loose what little mobility I have and be bedridden and wheelchair bound. Scares the daylight out of me! It's what my nightmares are of when I DO sleep!
  20. jmq

jmq New Member

the symptom that scares me the most is when I cant move. It is a mixture of extreme weakness, profuse sweating, and nausua that overwhelms me. I have to lie down WHERE EVER I am when this hits me. There are times I can not even talk when it hits. It scares the you know what out of me. I also do not know what triggers it.

The other symptoms are just depressing and stressful...