What foods give you a migraine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjr2003, Feb 12, 2006.

1. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

I have recently found more and more foods that I simply have had to eliminate from my diet due to them causing migraine headaches. What about ya'll? What specific foods do you in?
    1. chocolate of any kind - can't even tolerate 1 choc. chip
    2. any kind of fruit - can't have bananas,strawberries,cherries,blueberries,raspberries,apples, absolutely NO FRUIT
    3. cheese - cannot tolerate any type of cheese now - especially the hard cheeses.
    4. spaghetti - of all things! there is something in spag. sauce that gives me a horrific migraine everytime
    5. white potatoes - I have to stay away from most potatoe chips too - why don't they have which particular potatoe that the chips are made from?
    so this means that I never get to have candy bars,hot fudge sundaes,banana splits,banana pudding,apple pie,can't even have a cheeseburger, no nachos w/ cheese sauce either, no Reese's cups, all of these things I used to be able to eat, but now I cannot tolerate even a small, minute little bit of them. UG! it is so depressing! LOL Carla
    Also! Anything w/ any kind of artificial sweetener in it does me in - even Splenda does me in. And I have to watch how much regular sugar items I take in as well. And absolutely NO CAFFEINE.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

1. The very BIGGEST culprit is Diet soda and diet foods that contain NutraSweet (or aspertame!) I seem to be able to tolerate Splenda--but that is the ONLY artificial sweetener.

2. foods with MSG --like chinese foods -- just check labels

3. aged cheeses

4. wine and beer

5. too much chocolate

Those are the main ones.

3. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Red wine, champagne, chocolate (but only the week before my period), & Fritos corn chips (I luv em, of course!)

There are probably more that I haven't figured out yet!

Hugs,
    Annie
  4. lolee

lolee New Member

msg, pasta, white rice, excessive white flour: bread, tortillas, etc. wine, sugar, most things refined, most processed foods: lunch meat, canned stuff like chef-boy-r-de, frozen processed foods.

I'm pretty good if I stick to real food not fake food.

Lolee
  5. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

aged cheeses give me a migraine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know for sure that my hormones play a big part of my headaches but............lately everytime I eat feat or blue cheese i noticed within hours I get a migraine!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried a little test and had some feta cheese last night and sure enough this morning I woke with a migraine and it lasted all day!

I would like to know when those of you eat foods that trigger your migraines how long does it usually take to start getting the headache once you eat the trigger food???????????????

Hugs
    Doxy
  6. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

For me - it is just a matter of hours from the time I eat something that triggers my migraine and when I get the headache. S-times, in just 2 hours I am in bad trouble.:>( LOL Carla
  7. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I have tried to eliminate alot of these foods that cause me a migraine and I quit drinking any caffeine products over 2 years ago. Alot of sodas that say caffeine free are not except Sprite, 7up and Giner Ale and a couple of others.

Coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa, colas/soft drinks

Especially red wine, vermouth, champagne, beer

Aged Cheeses, sour cream. whole milk, buttermilk, yogurt, ice cream

Sourdough, fresh yeast, some types of cereals

Some types of beans (broad, Italian, lima, lentil, fava, soy) sauerkraut

Peanuts, peanut butter, sesame seeds

Organ meats, salted meats, dried meats, cured meats, smoked fish, meats with nitrites (such as hot dogs, sausages, lunch meats)

Most citrus fruits, bananas, avocados, figs, raisins, papaya, passion fruit, red plums, raspberries, plantains, pineapples

A flavor enhancer often used in restaurants and also found in seasoned salt, instant foods, canned soup, frozen dinners, pizza, potato chips

Chocolate, licorice, molasses, cakes/cookies made with yeast

Soy sauce, some spices, garlic powder, salt, meat tenderizers, marinades

Artificial sweetners

Lindy
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

ESP. MSG AND FOODS WITH CHEMICAL ADDITIVES, LIVED NEAR A FACTORY THAT PRODUCED MSG AND THE ROOF DISINTEGRATED FROM THE FUMES.

LOVE ANNE
  9. KelB

KelB New Member

There's a theory these days that eating chocolate or sweet things is actually a symptom that you're getting a migraine, rather than a trigger.

When a migraine is brewing, your blood sugar levels drop suddenly for a reason that they don't understand yet. This sets up a craving for something sweet - chocolate being the obvious candidate, although it could also be for cakes, cookies, fizzy drinks, fruit etc - before any of the traditional warning signs of a migraine.

So when people eat chocolate then get a migraine, they've been blaming the chocolate. It's now possible that the chocolate is your body trying to deal with the migraine and protect itself.

Having found that out, I now always carry a packet of glucose tablets. When I feel a migraine coming on, I take three of four of those as well as the painkillers and it really does seem to help.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]