What gets you through everyday pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Aug 31, 2008.

1. I try and push myself everyday, as sitting or staying in bed makes me hurt worse. But unending pain does wear on you after awhile. I know I have my family , thank God, and I believe in God, but what else? I take vicodin but still hurt. What gets you through everyday?

I tell my dr. I was NOT depressed to beginn with but after dealing with unending pain everyday it does get depressing so she wants to put me on effexor xr. I took it before and it makes me feel a bit better, but doesn't help the pain.

Any ideas?
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

As I was thinking about this..my answer changed..

What gets me through each day is actually taking each day as it comes. If I look too far ahead, well..I can't.
    I have learned that I do what I can, that's it. I do what I HAVE to. I have to go to work certain days, so that's not an option. Those days I 'push' through the pain. I do try to rest when I can. That doesn't always mean laying down, it may mean doing nothing.

I find that mentally I have to be "on guard" or watch constantly to keep my head in order so as not to let myself get too down. I'm one that needs something to look forward to. It doesn't matter what it is - could be something very small- just something in the future.

That's tough right now, as my husband just lost his job and Wow, the stress on my mind and body is tenfold.

I have started back on my Lexapro (I'm terrible, I go off of it cause I forget it). I take my pain medication when I need to as well as my muscle relaxers. If I have to relieve my pain, I do.

The toughest part for me is learning to let go of the other things that I just simply can't do. Those things that are piling up.

I take each day - one day at a time. I have to. I pray each morning for a good day and if it's not, for the strength and courage to get through it. If it's a bad day, I know there's always tomorrow. I talk to only positive people. (seriously) I also get some strength by helping my friends who need help (on the phone)

I am exactly like you in the fact that, I never considered myself depressed. Generally a very happy person actually. It does not take much to make me happy. I'm a very simple person (yet very deep and complex at the same time). Living like this though, does take it's toll and one certainly CAN become quite down or depressed because of the daily struggles we endure.

I wish more doctors (and others) would understand that. It's the what came first, the chicken or the egg? Of course we're depressed - or could be. Can anyone imagine living like this day in and day out?

I wish I had better ideas for you. I can only tell you what I do. Sometimes I've very successful at making it through the day, sometimes not so much. What upsets me is when I wish the day away. That angers me. Life is too short, too precious. It's already moving too fast for me.

The summer is gone. I walked outside this morning to get the paper, the sun was just coming up. I thought, it's Sept. I didn't do anything I wanted to do this summer. I didn't even spend time on my front porch like I wanted to. I spent too many summer evenings on the couch. I just shook my head in disappointment and sadness.

My apologies for being so wordy this morning! What gets each of us through each day, I believe changes, depending on where we are in our lives, in our struggles, with our pain and fatigue levels etc. Right now, I am seeking happiness so desperately - in spite of this crap. =)

Love from my family, my Mom's phone calls, my children, my husband, my gratefulness for my blessings, I guess that's what gets me through - oh and knowing that at any moment, life could be much much worse.

I'd love to hear everyone else's replies as well!
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am now at a point, thank God, that my pain is at a bare-bones minimum and I am no longer on any prescription meds. It took a long time, alot of effort, and lots of trial and error to figure out just what made me flare. In my particular case,sleep deprivation was at the very core of my flares. I was reluctantly on Restoril for several months but it did restore my sleep pattern.

Now, I occasionally take an OTC product called 'Simply Sleep'. I've realized that I need to only take it specifically when I am in pain or achy at bedtime, since the pain can prevent the restorative sleep which seems to be so essential to my well being. I've made restorative sleep my personal mission so to speak. BTW, power napping is highly under-rated and I highly recommend it if you can squeeze a few minutes in during the day.

The other thing I have been doing is I started taking grapeseed extract (100 mg daily) and I have noticed a huge difference in pain. HUGE.

Finally, I have come to realize that my symptoms are considerably worse in the cold weather, so I am prepared for it. Also, in the warmer weather, I keep my exposure to air conditioning to a minimum.

Finally, I have almost 'relearned' how to process and hold at arms length random everyday emotional issues that come up in my life. Things that I would have let bother me a few years ago, well, I just don't let those things in anymore. That could justbe mellowing with age as well. I just know that now, today, that's what's working for me!

4. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

I'm a fighter and get up everyday wanting to learn/try new things that may help. Even though i have my moments, just knowing that ther are people ALL OVER THE WORLD so much less fortunate than me makes me count my blessings, no matter how hard it gets.
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

I did the same thing - well summer is over and once again, I haven't done a thing

Maybe we can enjoy the fall?? I hate fall

For pain, I have heating pads on the porch, living room and bedroom

I take Excedrin for pain, but now I think I have developed an ulcer
  6. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I still have flares and arthritis, anxiety and now depression because of this dd. The pain meds I take is fentynl patch, lyrica, celebrex and robaxin. For anxiety and PTSD, depression, I take nightly celexa and 1-2 temazepam at bedtime. I have a script for xanax prn. That one in particular has been a God send for my anxiety.

With all of that being said, I can't rely totally on meds. I go to therapy once a week to learn how to manage stress which can cause flares. I come to this board every day, throughout the day. This board has become a very important part of my day. I have wonderful children and hubby. I have faith.

I lost my dad at the age of 57 this past June. I never felt the greif and depression lilke I have with that. There are days I would curl up on the couch and not talk to anyone inc my hubby and kids. I would stay there until I physically hurt and would get pissed off at myself. I haven't been doing that as often now.

I have started to set limits and boundaries with the people around me. Ex: a good friend of mine suffers severe depression and thrives in chaos. She does have good points too. Finally one day when she was out of control I said that right now I can not handle the constant drama. I have alot on my plate to deal with. I still loved her as a friend but if she was going to continue her distructive behavior I was going to have to step aside. Needless to say she got the point thank God.

You need to know that you are important, your pain in real and debilitating. First I would go see your doctor and ask for stronger pain meds. 2nd if your not in therapy I suggest you should go. If for nothing else then for stress mgmt. 3rd surround yourself with people who understand and care. Use heating pads. And last if you want to be alone then be alone. Good Luck and remember we are here for you. Jenn
  7. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

I forgot to mention, i make it a point to listen to some of my favorite songs throughout the day. Dancing was a passion of mine, and I listen to great clubs songs of my past...... dancing slow, but as best I can..... and it takes me on a little "mental vacation" from my aches, pains, and problems. Leaves me with a smile on my face. I'd probably read, as well, except I have a 3 and 1 year old.... so that'd be impossible.

Fibrobutterfly, I have found Percocet to work better than vicodin for me. I take 1 5mg around noon, and am on Cymbalta for the depression and anxiety. Good luck!!