What good Non Fiction book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I'm reading "Divided Minds". About twins and one become schizophrinec sp? while attending Brown and the other becomes a psychiatrist without knowing her twin was schizophrinec.

I just read my favorite book ever from GMA's life story contest called "Afgan girl from the Other Side of the Sky/".
    Rene
  2. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I read that one Rene, it was pretty good. I just re-read one of my favorites, about a psychiatrist doing his residency and all the dirty secrets of a hospital. I can't remember the title but the author is dr r klitzman with Columbia University.
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

It's called The Midnight Disease: The Drive to Write, Writer's Block, and the Creative Brain, by Alice W. Flaherty.

Instead of it being a 'how-to' for getting rid of writer's block, it's an examination of how changes in the brain either help or hinder the creative process, and how. The author is a neurologist and has suffered with problems herself.

I'm just past the beginning, but I was interested to read how epilepsy and bipolar disorder both exhibit changes in the temporal lobe, and how many of the co-symptoms are similar.

She promises, later in the book, to talk a bit about hyper-reading, and I'm looking forward to that. When I was hit w/both depression and chronic fatigue, I noticed a difference in how much I was reading (much, much less). The only problem was, I had retained the habit of buying books, so my backlog is tremendous!
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

Forgive the boo-boo, the non-fiction book I just started is Ann Rule's Everything She Ever Wanted.

Thanks,

Karen[This Message was Edited on 01/14/2006]
  5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I got a CD book at the library called "Inside the Kingdom" by Carmen bin Ladin. It's fascinating.

from an Amazon review:

"Carmen bin Ladin, half Swiss and half Persian, tells a love story of herself as an independent European woman falling in love with Yeslam bin Ladin, a half-brother to the infamous Osama.

Carmen is accustomed to living in Europe, mainly Switzerland, and she and her husband also spend time in California. Family matters take them back to Saudi Arabia where she is always an outsider and a foreigner.

Life really begins to change in 1979 when Saudi Arabia begins to turn back to the strict rules of Wahabi Islam after the overthrow of the Shah of Iran. Life for women and all females becomes even more oppressive, to put it mildly.

The author's struggle to raise her three daughters as independent, educated thinkers and her crumbling marriage against the backdrop of the bin Ladin family is a wonderful read."

[This Message was Edited on 01/14/2006]
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Rene,
    I'm so glad you asked!
    I'm reading The Razor's Edge, by Sommerset Maughm. It has been made into a movie two tmes, first in the 1940's, with Tyrone Power, and then in the 1990's, with Bill Murray.

It is the story of a young American man whose life is changed in the WWI, his search for peace and the effect he has on his friends. I find it really transfixing. The characterizations are good, and one feels as if the people in the book are real.

Even though CFIDS limits my reading to 15 - 30 minutes only, I am really trying not to get too frustrated. If I could I would have read it in one sitting.

Thanks for this thread.
    Terry
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Rene, I am an avid reader. I finish one and pick up another. I check out at least 10 books at a time from the library..not that I read that fast or that many, but if I don't like a book after a few pages, at least I have another to try.

I have found that reading, although sometimes it is difficult to concentrate and comprehend, have been very, very therapeutic for me. Reading forces me to relax and not overdo.

I can recommend some books if you let me know what kind of reading you like. I keep a record of the books I have read, otherwise I will never remember what I have read. I am on my way to the library now to pick up a book I reserved.

I'll be checking this post for your reply.

Lolalee
  8. Rene

Rene New Member

Thanks for sharing what you are reading. I never was a reader before

I got sick. I consider it a gift.

LoLaLee,

Well what I read is all of Ann Rules books,
    Lucky One about a gal who gets to come to America after the Kamir Rouge
    Cambodia and it alternates, her sister is still there, month by month what American life is and this sister she left behind life is in Cambodia. Very good.

God Said Ha

The Pact

All I want Is a Family and A Fishing Pole

Tori Haydens books like "one Child"

Random Act? By Dr Phils sister-in-law

Ashley's Garden

HOw I lost 5 pds in 5 months by Tom Arnold funny.

I checked out Ryan Whites book as I can't even believe what he went through. We think WE have it bad!

Yea let me know what else!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/15/2006]
  9. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I finished reading "Marley and Me" a couple of days ago. It's the story of a very large, friendly, incorrigible, spirited, lovable, untrainable, loyal, golden labrador retriever and the family who loved him.

I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it. Marley's mis-adventures will warm your heart and make you laugh out loud and fall in love.

Mar
  10. Shelly413

Shelly413 New Member

I am reading Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer and doing a workbook along with it. It's very good.

Book Description:
    Winning the Battle in Your Mind. Discover how to become free from being ruled by depression, anger, worry, doubt, confusion, condemnation, or fear!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2006]
  11. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Hey Shelly... I read "THE BATTLEFIELD OF THE MIND".... GREAT BOOK!!

I am currently reading "THE POWER OF FORGIVENESS...CELEBRATION OF SIMPLICITY" ... BY Joyce Meyer.

I just love the way she writes... very straight forward and really hits the heart of a matter!

I'm also reading...."WHY NOT WASTE TIME WITH GOD?"...by Michael Evans.... it's all about intimacy with God...and how to live a life free from seeking approval and acceptance from others.... very good book!

Most of my reading centers around a deeper walk and relationship with the Lord. And of course I do read the Bible... lately I've been enjoying "THE NEW LIVING BIBLE" and "THE CONTEMPORARY ENGLISH VERSION". Both versions flow very nice and are easier to understand than the KJV.

Blessings... CarolK
    [This Message was Edited on 01/15/2006]
  12. CarolK

CarolK New Member

13. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

I am reading the bible. I have studied for a long time but have never read cover to cover. I am stuck in Deutoronomy now but at least I made it through numbers.

I have recently read alot of Lee ??(foggy) but they are Case for creation, all of them a case for ... they are really good/

Sorry I don't know of anything contemporary I just thought I would suggest since alot of people forget about the bible....and it is very good.
  14. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

by Lee Strobel. It is facinating.

Sonya
  15. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

One of his funny books about playing bridge.

For lovers of history I recommend James Burke. (He is also a TV producer.) His books are an entertaing look at how the modern world developed from the primitive world of, say, a thousand years ago.
  16. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

reading 'The spirit catches you and you fall down'

it is really really good - about the health care in the us and the hmong way of life
  17. alnit3r

alnit3r New Member

I just finished the da vinci code, which i completely think is a MUST READ, along with angels and demonds.. both written by dan brown. Nothing helpful about it but it's a nice way to escape reality for a while. I read the pact! That was a great book, I liked it a lot. If you liked that you may also like Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Its a nice quick read, really made me think. Its about this girl that got raped and killed.. and she is trying to help her family find closure as well as herself from heaven. Im not religious, but this was good. Highly recomended. <3<3
  18. dorabella

dorabella New Member

'The Way of a Ship. A Square Rigger Voyage in the Last Days of Sail' by Derek Lundy.

Really informative read on the lives of deep sea sailing crews in the last half of the 19th century. Rounding Cape Horn does not sound particularly pleasant to say the least......
  19. km

km New Member

hey all
    i am reading steve gooider books:
    1)living right side up
    2)lessons of the turtle
    3)touching moments
    so far they are all great!!!!
    helps me see life/cope in a new way :)
    ty,km
  20. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Good for you Countrymom! I am also starting my Bible reading again. I'm intending to read the complete Bible again this year. I've done it 5 or 6 other times. Very rewarding! Good luck!