What happens when meds don't mix?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abbylee, Nov 11, 2005.

1. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My mom is allergic to sulfa drugs. Recently her doctor prescribed a sulfa drug by mistake AND the pharmacist (who is aware of her allergy to sulfa) filled it. Had I not asked her what the doc prescribed BEFORE she took the medication AND I just happened to be familiar with the drug (luck), she could have died.

Since many of us take several medications for several conditions - sometimes from several different doctors - AND we sometimes mix herbs/vitamins with them, is there a place we can go to key in everything we're taking to make sure we aren't mixing the wrong things, or we aren't counteracting one med because of another?

I know that we can't post URLs here, but we can list what to search for in google. I've tried several different phrases but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'd like to find a place where I can enter MY meds, etc., and get an OK or a warning.

Any ideas?

abbylee
  2. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

Abbylee,
    I too often worry about mixing medications and supplements. The FFC prescribes so many things at once, I am constantly asking if I can safely take everything together—the doctor usually chuckles a bit and emphatically says yes. Regardless, I often call the pharmacist to double check some of the combos. I wonder if there is a site where one could track any interactions—I mean come on, us humans are pretty prone to errors.
    -Carrie
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

There's a website called drugstore (you fill in the rest). It's an on-line pharmacy, I've ordered from the before and they're very good. Anyways, if you fill in the name of a drug, and select the right dose, it will take you to window where you can check for interactions.

Mary
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

FM seriously and decided to treat the pain and other issues told me that we are hard because we react to medications so differently. The things I take would normally show up as not indicated together and yet I have very little, if any, side effects from the combination. I don't know how you'd find out for sre what you can and can't take safely with other things because of this difference we have.
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I doubt every doctor knows how every med works or what's in them - especially generics - and I doubt every pharmacist knows either..... so we're left with "good guesses."

I know that certain meds have to be taken before meals, some after, and some vitamins don't mix well or don't work if taken too close to one another.... herbs, too, but my main concern is the medications.

When I go to my md for my 6 month appt., his first question to me is, "So what are you taking now?" And he prescribes every drug I take except for Xyrem!

I read about Xanax and grapefruit on the internet -neither the doc nor the pharmacist told me about them.

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2005]
  6. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Just this morning I was thinking about all the supplements, vitamins, hormones and meds I take and if I'm taking them properly. I even thought about listing them on here and getting someone to put them in the order I should take them.

I do know your not supposed to mix abx with probiotics and there's something with calcium but I can't remember what.

I wonder if someone would do that for us?????

Sandy

7. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I hope so. Usually someone on this site knows about everything we post, so maybe someone will know this, too. I really hope so.

abbylee
  8. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I always use Webmd. Put the www and the .com around that and you have a good place to find out information. They haven't failed me yet so I'll keep using it. My doctor never knows what combinations could kill me... so I depend on Webmd and my pharmacist for info.

Shananegans
  9. abbylee

abbylee New Member

So all I have to do is put in a list of meds, vits, and herbs and they will tell me if they mix.

abbylee
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It has a place for what drugs you take,what you have etc
  11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

why not? never heard that before. You shouldn't take iron with calcium, and thyroid meds with bread etc. Certain meds you shouldn't take with grapefruit.
    I think it is important to fill your meds at the same pharmacy so they know what you are taking, and they have a book that will tell you what supplements will react with your meds.
  12. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I never heard about Xanax and grapefruit being a problem, but I take Lipitor, so don't use grapefruit anyway.

Recently I found out at another site that I wasn't supposed to be taking my thyroid meds with Prozac and/or Tums. I had to move my thyroid meds to before bedtime and now take them with Detrol and Xanax.

I just came upon this info by accident in a way. No one ever said anything about Prozac and thyroid meds. I've been on them together for almost 11 years.

There is a site that was posted on this board that gave the site for a place you can click on the Rx you take and it will tell you what interacts with the Rx.

I think we can put the URL on if it doesn't sell anything, but this one does, so I can't put it on. :(

Hugs,
    Faye
  13. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

If you put each drug into their search bar it will tell you what drugs that particular drug has bad interactions with... Usually if something isn't listed, then it's ok. I'm not sure about supplements though. I'm not on any so I've never used it for that purpose but it would be worth a try.

Shananegans
  14. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

Also try Drug Digest on the web.