What happens when you have a panic attack?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Sep 17, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I feel kind of stupid asking but something very weird happened to me yesterday. I was just watching TV with my dogs so I wasn't stressed or scared or anything. My chest was hurting really bad and then I was having trouble breathing. I started crying and couldn't even get up for a couple of minutes. After a few minutes of trying really hard, I got up. My chest still hurt but the breathing thing got better. Obviously, I didn't have a heart attack because I'm still here but it was weird. My arm did hurt too. The only thing I could think of was panic attack but that doesn't make too much sense either. Anyone ever have this with Fibro?
  2. misskoji

misskoji Member

I've suffered with panic attacks for years. Some feel different than others. Obviously I can't diagnose you, but I'll try to help.

I've had several panic attacks like this, chest hurting, unable to breath properly, uncontrollable crying. I really believe that the crying part is us feeling totally out of control, the fear in the moment is incredible.

Now, just because I've said that doesn't mean that you should discount this to being just another symptom. It could or couldn't be. With the arm pain (which I've also had), call your doctor or a nurse or someone! Please make sure that there isn't something wrong with your heart. Just because you are alive and ok now doesn't mean that you didn't perhaps have a mild attack.

Hope I helped and not installed too much fear. Please let us know what you find out.

Hugs
    Deanna
  3. Greeneyes2

Greeneyes2 New Member

I have panic attacks so I do know one when I see one. Mine are different than what you describe.

My mother had a heart attack that sounds just like what you described, and it was three weeks before she found out. Moral is you do not always die of a heart attack, but the damage to your heart gets worse the longer it takes to be dx.

I hope you get checked out by a doctor sooner rather than later. It is best to have any new symptoms checked rather than assume it is just the Fibro.

Gentle hugs,
    Denise
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I've had them in the past. Have you ever been close to an accident or almost got run over by a car or something?? THat is how it felt for me, heeart pounding out of my chest. Ultimate fear, sometimes things was spinning, like real vertigo. You feel like in a bubble, totally separated from your surrounding- you are a bundle of out-of-this-world fear.

This is just my personal experience. I never had pain involved, just weak wobbely legs.
  5. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I have experienced Panic Attacks for the past several years and when I get them they always come prior to a migraine or just out of the blue.

When I feel an attack coming on I have to sit back close my eyes and wait until it goes away. It usually last for about 20 to 30 seconds (each time) and zaps me of any energy.

My experience of what they are like is an uncontrollable feeling, tingly feeling in my scalp, tightened feeling in chest, difficulty breathing (smothered feeling) and afterwards my heart beats faster and my left arm aches.

I take Klonopin to help calm me down and it usually helps get rid of the attacks.

Hope you feel better soon

6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I have had panic attacks even in my sleep. I would wake up like I was having a nightmare, my whole body frozen, covered in sweat, heart pounding.

At first I thought it was a nightmare but then I realized that I was so stressed my anxiety was coming out in my dreams.

I was still pushing myself to go to work everyday and when I would try to rest all the days stresses would wash over me when I really needed sleep.

It is terrible when we can't even escape our problems and have even a good night sleep.

Panic attacks are terrible, maybe something you were watching on TV triggered a thought?

Or maybe you didn't realize just how stressed you felt until you sat down and then it all washed over you????

Sorry I am definitely not a psychologist but I know our body plays weird tricks on us. Just when we think we have a handle on our symptoms a new arrives to plague us!

Hugs Marion (Redwillow)

7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Just wondering, may anxiety disorder and panic disorder be two different things?
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

symptoms. Seems like I'm always complaining. Better safe than sorry, though, right?

It was a little strange because I never panic about anything. I do my best under stress. Although, I think I was watching the style channel in my jammies. That can do it every time, right?
  9. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I have a severe Panic / Anxiety disorder. I have had it since I was 17...I am now 25. The only thing that will help me is my Valium. There are no techinques that work on me.

I have anywhere from very mild to severe panic attacks where I think I am having a heart attack like you said.

With my severe ones, I get all of the symptoms you describe. I also hyperventilate sometimes too. I too will cry over nothing, my chest will hurt like an elephant is sitting on it, and I feel that anxiety feeling...but its not a good anxiety like you would get maybe when you are going on a date, or something you are really looking forward to.

Most of the time, nothing triggers my anxeity attacks. I just get them out of no where.

Sometimes things will trigger them, like deadlines at work, stress, claustraphobia etc.

I would still check with your doc and have him run some test just to be safe.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,
    Stephanie
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Wow! I haven't had a panic attack, or what I would call one, since I was in college but I was surprised to see all the things on the lists that I could relate to. Only in certain areas though. I don't have any symptoms on the Fear or Emotion list. Hmmmmm, mostly physical symptoms....

Interesting! Thanks.

Marta