What happens when you slow your treatment?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paulwin, Nov 15, 2005.

1. paulwin

paulwin New Member

Hang in there Dalphia.
    I am sorry you are going through a hard time. I am being treated for mycoplasmas and have been herxing for 2 weeks. It is not overwhelming but takes away energy and gives me low grade fever symptoms. I am curious what happens when you slow down treatment. the basic theory as I understand it is when you miss a dose of abx it gives the pathogen time for the mutated varieties to get going. That is why they dont want you to miss a dose. Karatelady was suggesting to pulse ten day on 5 days off. that does not make any sense either? anyhow am looking for any input. Thanks Paul
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which should be discussed with one's doc. It is possible to go into a toxic-shock-like state if Herxing is too strong. It's rare but it does happen.

We have had members here who have had to slow down their treatment due to severe Herxing. Over time, it can be speeded up again.

Most of these treatments do cause a strong immune response with swollen lymph nodes, headaches, fatigue, fever, and achiness. This stage can go on for weeks. When there is a large dieoff of pathogens, one will have profuse and foul sweating and diarrhea from hell. One can also have nausea.

If at all possible, it is better to stay with the program but for some, it is just too much. Better to slow it down than give up altogether.

Mycoplasmas aren't killed off directly. ABX like Doxycycline change the covering of the body's cells so that the mycoplasmas cannot invade them. They literally starve to death in the bloodstream. The only time they are in the bloodstream is when they have killed their host cells and are in search of new ones to invade. That is why it takes so long to rid the body of them. There are many deep inside the body which won't come out for some time.

As they begin to die off, the body recognizes them as foreign dead matter and begins the immune response and tries to excrete them. If the dieoff happens faster than the excretion, the body will produce diarrhea, sweating and/or nausea to get rid of them.

In the beginning, the Herxing can be very uncomfortable and doctors should tell patients to expect this. It has to get worse before it gets better. Over time, the Herxing is lighter as more and more pathogens are killed off. Still, it can take several years, or longer, to rid the body of them.

Herxing is a sign that the treatment is working. It might help to think of it like that. Various remedies to mitigate Herxing symptoms have been posted here. I Herx hard and fast and haven't used them but they have helped others. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I totally agree with Mikie to slow it down. My Denver FFC doctor told me that if I'm that miserable and will get depressed and give up.

I started heavy antibiotic treatment in July full tilt and within weeks hit me like a ton of bricks. Extreme pain, weak and so nauseaous. I was way worse.

I cut my antibiotics in half for the next few months and now Nov. 1 started building them back up again. Also added more Vitamin C for the toxin die-off. I can tell you it's working now.

So that was from July until Nov 1. Hang in there it's going to get better. I'm starting to come around.

Cindy
  4. castle

castle New Member

hi
    i am new to all this messaging, please bare with me

i am receiving treatment in alanta, which i have recently have been diaginosed with tons of stuff.

where should i start

lyme
    coagulation
    ehrlichiois
    ebv
    cmv
    myoplasma
    chlymidia
    hashimoto
    low thyroid
    hormons out of wack
    low testosteron
    candida
    nk call low 7

i'm sure there are more but it's so late i can't think or
    spell.

i started the heparin 3days ago, and everyone is talking about die off (herxing) explain please!

i have not started the doxy yet
    in 2 weeks. when dose this herxing phase start?

since i have so many factors involed is my phase
    going to be worse?

what happens if i'm not having any die off symptoms?
    you all said that was a good thing to be happening

has anyone had lyme and ehrlichia. someone said that is not
    a good thing!

i so bad want to get well, i've been sick for about 2years,
    you know" doing the run around" looking for answers instead of saying "your fine" your test are normal.

i sure hope you can help me with a better understanding.
    i thank you so much for your willingness
    to help, this is a great info board.

i have just recently got on board.
    i've been reading everyones stories and info.

i will soon come on board and give everyone my
    history

in Gods grip
    thank you,

scarlett from indiana
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Talk to the doc at your FFC and ask about what to expect. The FFC's use very aggressive treatments for these infections. Ask what you can do if you have too strong of a response to the treatment.

We are all different and no one knows when the immune response and Herx will start. Herxing won't start until there are sufficient bacteria in the bloodstream to be killed off in massive amounts.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie