What has Clonazepam/ Klonopin/ Diazepam helped you with?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Oct 6, 2011.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

(and what dose?) I'm struggling with itching (severe), headaches, allergic reactions, painful skin burning and what feel like internal burning in my stomach and trachea/ chest area, nausea, sleep issues, muscle pain, fatigue, eye pain... Everything feels highly over-stimulated while I am totally exhausted and unable to deal with it... I think a lot of this is CFS and chemical sensitivity related... I am seeing my doctor tomorrow so I know this is kind of last minute but I am hoping for maybe one or two replies... I am wondering if this med is worth trying (and what dose)... OR, IF DIAZEPAM WOULD OFFER SIMILAR BENEFITS (calming down my system) WITHOUT THE GREATER RISKS ATTACHED WITH CLONAZEPAM? I know there are concerns re this med (my doc seems to have them anyway) but I'm getting desperate... Thanks

[This Message was Edited on 10/06/2011]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2011]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That one benzodiazepine is riskier than another nor in what way one might be riskier. All drugs have risks. Many docs are opposed to all of them. Medicare will not cover them.

Klonopin is recommended by Dr. Cheney and it has been a God send for me. You can read Cheney's article on it in the Library here.

Klonopin is more difficult to wean off of if one decides to quit taking it. It has to be done very slowly. I've been on the same dose for 11 years. It helps calm my overfiring neurons so I can get into the sleep pattern for quality sleep. It also helps greatly with sensory overload and tinnitus. It's not a drug to try without performing due diligence.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Xanax has helped me more than any other drug with sensory overload, ringing in ears, anxiety, pain and sleep. To answer your question, yes xanax has helped me with all the above you mentioned especially if due to stress related. I would advice to start with the lowest dose. I still only take 1/4 mg but can take 4 a day if needed and most days it is needed. I certainly would give them a try.

I know they have a bad reputation but I don't think I would be able to leave the house without them especially if I have to go to walmart. I use to worry about addiction but stopped that long ago. Addicted no , needed yes..

Like Mikie with the Klonopin, Xanax has been God sent for me.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2011]
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

For chemical sensitivity try Alka-Seltzer GOLD.. May have to get the pharm to order it but is does help with MCS...Also helps with food allergies. or did for me.
  5. rocky76

rocky76 Member

Mikie ..... Medicare pays for my Diazepam and Medicaid pays for my daughter Klonopin....If the Doctor says its needed then they will pay.....
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Great to know but Medicare has never paid for mine nor does my Rx medicare plan.

How do I go about getting ins. to cover it?

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If Medicare has changed its stance on the benzos, I haven't heard of it. It is not on my Medicare Advantage Plan formulary but I was told it's because Medicare won't pay for it. I'll have to check into it.

Love, Mikie
  8. rocky76

rocky76 Member

..I added it to my formulary...
    But on Medicaid my daughter still gets hers....
    Maybe different states have different ways...
  9. shelbo

shelbo New Member

May I ask what you think is a good starting dose from your experience? I'm a 36 yr old female (Fibro, CFS, chemical sensitivities at the heart of everything, I think...)

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hesitate to give any medical advice here, especially something as important as dosing. I can tell you that I started out on .5 mgs. and, almost immediately, switched 1 mg. That was my dose and I'm still on it 11 years later. When I started taking my BP meds, which interfered with sleep, I upped it to 1.5 mgs. until I got used to the BP meds.

I carry some of the 1 mg. tabs, cut in fourths, in my purse. If I get out and start getting into sensory overload, I slip one of the pieces under my tongue and let it melt. It's not enough to make me drowsy but it stops the S/O almost immediately. Both my doc and pharmacist approved this.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  11. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Thanks so much for the info... I really appreciate your sharing with me what has worked for you. I speak to my doctor on Monday so this gives me some idea of what I should be aiming to ask for.
    Thanks for the tip about cutting the tabs into quarters too! Shelbo :)
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Cheney has an article on the benefits of Klonopin (generic: clonazepam) in our library. You might want to show it to your doc if it's Klonopin you are asking for. Some docs have been scared off benzos and this may help you. Dr. Cheney is one of the world's most respected experts on CFIDS/ME.

Love, Mikie

PS: I was going to find it and reproduce it here but if you do a search in articles on Klonopin, you will find a wealth of info from diff sources.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2011]
  13. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

There is another benzo that I have used that worked where Klonopin didn't. It's called Lorazapam.
    Where I had to take a higher dose of the Klonopin to get the result the doc was looking for it left me too lathargic to even cope with the the rest of IT.

My son that had severe CP was given Klonopin to help him settle at night. His anxiety level would seem to go through the roof the closer it came to his bedtime so his pediatrician put him on klonopin to counteract the spike. Worked like a dream.
    However, in me it seems to do the exact opposite. I got increasingly wired on it but when he switched to the Lorazapam it seemed to do the trick. Oh and yeah, Klonopin also increased the depression, just compounding everything.

Sometimes, it's just easier to go to a clear anti-anxiety med like Xanax, if that is your problem.
    Good luck with this
  14. Marjorie1

Marjorie1 New Member

i have taking it about 10 years. i take 1 mg in the morning and 1mg before i go to bed. i have a head tremor and it has helped me. i know it is controlled substance but it is a good drug. some doctor are leery to subscribe it and others are not. i get mine from a neurologist.