What has FM taught you and......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vannafeelbettr, Sep 8, 2008.

1. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

what else do you believe you NEED to learn from it?

I'm not ultra-religious, but I am spiritual.... believing we got this DD for the purpose of spiritual growth while on Earth (that.... or I did something horrendous in a past life and I have to pay for it).

Maybe we can all benefit from each other's spiritual growth experience...
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2008]
  2. vannafeelbettr

I loved your response. It's interesting that you have learned that your career is not your identity..... because I feel that is something I NEED to learn for myself from this disease. (not an easy task, as you've known). Hopefully, that realization will happen sooner than later for me!!
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think the biggest thing I have learned is that sometimes things happen that we have no control over. That does not mean we should happily accept what has happened with us, but to come with terms with this DD.

That one is a biggie.

I think I have also learned that you can not know what it is like for others until you have been there. That does not mean you can not be empathetic.

I have learned to be strong by letting others help me without feeling guilty.

I have become more forthright in letting people know that sometimes I can not make promises when plans are made.

What would I like to learn? How to become more of an advocate.

I am sure there are other things but the fog has rolled in.

Good post, yea!!!

4. tandy

tandy New Member

therefore my answer is a negative one

FM has taught me that life can be unfair.
    I realize there are worse things but this is no doubt torture.

I sure hope by me going thru all this I'm growing spiritually.
    I musta been a real b**ch in my past life!!
    oh my poor ex-husband :)
    I hope I at least fed him well.....???

(chuckling at myself)
    hey,..I still have my humor :)
    loads of hugs,
  5. vannafeelbettr

First off, Tandy I applaud your honesty and your humor! I enjoyed that.

Fibro has taught me....

I used to be an intelligent person.

I now know who my true friends are.

How valuable a dollar is when you can no longer work.

To be more aware of what slips out of my mouth (no one wants to be around a constant complainer)

I used to have a really nice figure. LOL ( can you tell I just got out of the shower?)

The feeling of great hope.... hoping each day that I awaken will be the day I feel better or that someone finds a cure.

What I need to learn from it....

That I need to accept the things I cannot change, and to direct my focus/energy towards the things I can.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2008]
  6. jmq

jmq New Member

I am still on the learning curve but so far...

- to live in the moment
    - to let go of what I can not control
    - to be flexible ( mentally...not physically LOL )
    - that my husband REALLY does love me.

7. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

1)I want to treat myself like I treat others, with kindness and empathy.
    2) I want to appreciate without guilt my loving husband and kids and their enourmous love for me.
    3)I want to truly believe that I am worthy of happiness without the price of something horrendous happening to me.

Thanks for this post. I believe that it is ok to have bad days and not want to run around positive. But as a whole I think that mostly being positive is key to beating this dd.

So Vannafeelbetter- Thank you for putting a positive moment in my shit day today( I really am smiling now)
  8. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

I have learned (not by choice) to slow down and take it easy. I was always on the go working, driving kids around taking care of the house etc... you know the drill.

I have learned that I am not in control of everything. And that is ok. i need to accept my health and the help everyone in my family is giving me.

I have always been very independent and never asked anyone for anything. So this has been very hard for me.

I have learned that doctors do not know everything.

I have learned to speak slower and think about what I want to say because half the time the words dont come out right.

The good things that have come from FM is that I am home with my kids now. since I cannot work. Also 2 years ago my husband and I purchased 24 acres in the country and had our house built. My parents moved with us they had a small house built next to mine and my brother also moved out here. So during these rough times we have all been here for each other. All in all I have learned to appreciate my family more and take one day at a time and make it count.
  9. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

Fist I love your screen name Vanna.

FM has taught me that I am not infallible and that it is okay.

FM has taught me to only worry about the important things.

FM has taught me to slow down and appreciate the little things in life.

FM has taught me to treasure each and every moment because I never know what is around the corner.

FM has taught me patience.