what has helped me,hope this helps someone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Aug 27, 2008.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Synthroid,lamictal,celebrex , vitimin D ,B12 ,baby asprin,abillify, symlin ,lots of prayer and takeing care of me .

I still have some trouble with depression but Im hanging in there. Ive tried every kind of antidepression drug nothing really helps with that

Trying to have a good attitude and sence of humor is really important.

Im in remission from CFS/FM but I still stay very tired just not as tired as with my CFS .The difference between the two is. I can take a shower and stay up now when my CFS is in a flair I have to shower and then take a nap I get so weak.

2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I wanted to respond to your statement about trying every kind of antidepressant and nothing worked.

There is a very interesting website called Genelex. This company tests your dna and genes to determine the best drugs for you. It is called pharmagenetics.

Apparently, we are all react differently to drugs and quite often you can be tested to determine which drugs would really work for you.

See info below

Learn more about currently available pharmacogenetic tests

The relatively new and emerging fields of pharmacogenetics and pharmacogenomics study how differences in individual genetic makeup affect the processing of drugs.

Pharmacogenetics largely focuses on specific genes, such as drug-metabolizing enzymes, while pharmacogenomics deals with the entire human genome, including genes for numerous proteins in the body, such as transporters, receptors, and the entire signaling networks that respond to drugs and move them through the system.

· We have known for about a half-century that individuals respond to the same drug and dosage in very different ways because of genetic variations called polymorphisms.

The first studies of what came to be pharmacogenetics were conducted in the early 1950s and examined drug metabolizing enzyme variants such as those in the Cytochrome P450 family.

Research shows that of all the clinical factors such as age, sex, weight, general health and liver function that alter a patient's response to drugs, genetic factors are the most important.

· Although the genomes of individuals are 99.9% identical, the 0.1% difference means we have as many as 3 million polymorphisms, the most common being the single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP).

Detecting polymorphisms is the foundation of pharmacogenetics.

· Misdosing of drugs in America costs more than $100 billion dollars a year, and is a leading cause of death. Pharmacogenetics helps to explain why some individuals respond to drugs and others don't.

It can also help doctors identify individuals needing higher or lower doses and who will respond to a drug therapeutically and who might have an adverse drug reaction.

· Currently, the clinical use of pharmacogenetics is limited, with the most extensive use in Scandinavia to treat psychiatric illnesses.

The technology is, however, steadily moving into other geographic and medical areas, especially cardiology and cancer treatment.

· The Human Genome Project has been an incredible boon to pharmacogenomics. As new data are decoded and more precise maps produced, we can begin to understand what specific genes are and how they function.

We can also better appreciate the significance of DNA variation among individuals. Preventative medicine and pharmacogenetics are the first disciplines to benefit from this vastly increased understanding of human diversity.

· Better understanding of the variation in the enzymes involved in drug metabolism and in the drug targets themselves will help explain why there is so much variation in drug response.

We are now able to test for these variations before prescribing, and reduce the amount of human experimentation (and associated health care costs) needed to find the best therapy or dose.

Drug companies can now develop drugs which are designed by choice, rather than happenstance, to be effective in wide range of the population.

· Predictive genetics is revolutionizing health care. DNA tests and personalized drug therapies are shifting the medical paradigm from detection and treatment to prediction and prevention and vastly increasing the efficacy, safety, and variety of therapeutic drugs.

Predictive tests and preventative therapies reduce costs associated with hospitalization and lost productivity and will lead to a major redistribution of value in the health care industry.

Call Genelex today at 800-523-3080 to order testing, order on-line, or download the order form and fax or mail in your order. Don't forget to take a look at our other informational genetic testing products now as you receive significant discounts when ordering tests at the same time.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Good to hear that you are feeling better!!!!

I have found Lamictal has really helped. I had a history of AD's wearing off after a time and the Lamictal helps boost the AD.

I have always said, if I lost my sense of humor, that's it for me!!

Take care and thanks for sharing.