What has helped you get 8-9 hours of sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AllWXRider, Oct 6, 2009.

1. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I rotate with Ambien, 1/8 gram Halcion, Pharma GABA + Theanine + Taurine.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I know this won't make some people happy and there are some people who just can't do this, however, for me it is physical activity of some form. Even if it is only five or ten minutes on some days, it makes all the difference as to whether or not I get a good night's sleep. It can be light housekeeping, some gardening, on some days either the treadmill or Gazelle for 10 minutes; any type of activity really as long as I am up and moving.

I don't sleep straight through the night - I usually wake up a couple of times, however, I do fall back to sleep fairly quickly. Also, unless I have something like a cold or a virus, I don't nap during the day.

I'm editing to add that I don't take any prescription drugs for sleep. Never have![This Message was Edited on 10/06/2009]
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

4.5 mg of melatonin, occasionally a low dose of valium (1X about every 2 weeks if I awaken and for some reason can't go back to sleep, have no idea why); I not only sleep best at this dose (I worked up from .5 mg as for some less is best) I find I get better REM sleep (dreams!)

I also use unisom (the doxalymine type, not dipenhydramine/benadryl as it wears off after 4 hours and also because after a few days it keeps me awake!) because otherwise I awaken after 4 hours with a horrible headache. I've even tried weaning down the doxalymine/unisom, but as soon as I get close to 1/2 tab the headaches awaken me OR I awaken after my usual 8-9 hours of sleep with a horrible headache.

I used to use L-tryptophan very successfully but it doesn't work for me now; neither does 5-htp or valerian or combinations of those plus other herbal products. GABA just made me feel too weird to take more than 1X. I found I was having a bad side effect from the Klonopin, weirdly it caused my eyebrow to twitch after about 6 months and it took about that long to go away after using it!

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 10/07/2009]
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Even the mildest movement is necessary for Lymph circulation.

Lymph is the clear part of our blood (plasma) that leaks past our cells. Capillaries force the red blood cells down to a single file, but plasma leaks between the cells and gets collected by lymph vessels. Lymph vessel have one way valves but depends on some body movement to keep it flowing. Moving through lymph nodes it can detect infections and collect them. Lymph nodes can swell up as they collect infectious elements and cancers. Eventually the lymph fluid dumps into the hearts.

You don't have to do anything vigorous, lets just call it mild stretching. Does that sound better?
    Thanks TigerLilea
  5. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Ok, so first, I take a tricyclic antidepressant, and that helps. I also take Lyrica, which contributes to sleep as well. I take one Ambien, and I'm going off my Rozerem. I take Benadryl for allergies, and that helps. Last but not least, I take a supplement called Kavinace, and that helps. If, and that's still a big IF, I'm sleeping well, I sleep ten hours a night. If not, just live with it, and don't drive!
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've had major insomnia for 30 years, and was able to manage it using all natural products until about 10 years ago, when I gave in to RX's.

Right now I start with l Klonopin & l tryptophane; I wake up around 1am, and take another Klonopin, tryptophane & 30 mg Dalmane. There are nights when I've been overstimulated during the day, and end up taking some of my medicinal M.J. and/or add a Calms Forte.

I take whatever I have to in order to get enough sleep; otherwise I'm in bed the next day.
    30mg Dalmane
  7. onset1990

onset1990 Member

about lymph drainage. That makes sense. I need to move more, I know I do. Now I know why.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/08/2009]
  8. onset1990

onset1990 Member

I know a lot of people don't like benzos and I didn't either but after a few years of unresolved panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder I got used to a low dose. It improved other CFS symptoms too, like IBS.

Anyway. I take a small dose a few times a day, every day, and sleep approx 6 hours at a time at night (sometimes more sometimes less). My insomnia is gone unless I am worried or excited about something. But I do have to take a half a xanax in the mid of the night if it has worn off. I don't give it a second thought any more.

I had been to a conference where all the big Fibro doctors said take whatever you have to to get adequate sleep, even if it's a cocktail. So I do. My blood pressure meds at night also cause some relaxation and help me fall asleep.

Nothing helps my insomnia though if I am frightened by some life event. Then I lie in bed all night wide awake.