what has helped you the most in this last year?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pat UK, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

for me it has been getting and using a wheelchair, just when I thought my life as I knew it had ended, and being housebound for months I decided to try the wheelchair. What a difference this has made to me, I am able to go out again and enjoy life and be part of the real world. I was very shy at first and hoped I would not see anyone I knew but now I don`t care it is a lifeline for me.
    Merry Christmas everyone I hope you all have better health in the coming year.
    Pat.
  2. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

Hello Pat,
    The thing that helped me most this year, formost, is Faith, then gaining knowledge of my illness, and accepting that it is a real thing. Where I am from they don't recognize FMS as a real desease. I think they are still in the dark ages.
    This board had given me information that I have been searching for. My first symtoms were 28 yrs ago, and just was diagnosed 5-6 yrs ago. All that time I kept trying to get a grip, or just toughen up. That was a lot of mental anguish.
    So, to sum it up , Faith, Prayer, And Knowledge. 1maqt
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad your new wheels are helping you so much. Merry Christmas to you too.

For me, it's the same old, same old combinations which continues to help me: Guaifenesin, Doxycycline, Klonopin, exercise, and diet. I have added a new therapist who is helping me relearn how to be a well person. After we have been sick for so long, we forget and it has to be reawakened. She is using hypnotherapy to help with this.

I keep getting stronger and stronger but the main problem is that I overdo it whenever I'm feeling well. Then I relapse but not as badly as I used to.

Love, Mikie
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

The progress I have made, from totally bedridden, to upright, I believe is attributible to one, finding a knowledgeable doctor in FMS/CFS, and secondly, the treatment I am receiving.

The integrated approach seems to be working well for me. I am progressing. After medicines that were harming my system were eliminated, I began taking medicines, supplements and herbs, that are making a difference in all areas of my illness. Lack of sleep, IBS, Nausea, Pain, Fatigue, have significantly been improved.

As I ring in the New Year, dramatic diet changes, increased exercise, as well as stopping my nicotine habit are on the agenda. I feel I can make great advances with these.

Happy Holidays, Karen
  5. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

...have helped me this year.

1) Finally getting a diagnosis. I have been dealing with this pain for so many years now, and without any medical validation that I was beginning to think I was a hypochondiac. It sucks to be sick, but it's even worse when it's not validated. I feel a great release of stress for knowing that there really is a problem and that maybe there's ways that it can be treated. I'm looking forward to the new year and seeing the Rhuematologist in January becuase now that I'm "heard" I feel sure that someone will be able to help me.

2) and this one is most important, I have an incredibly supportive family. My mother and my partner are my best and most trusted friends in the world. They have always believed me when I said I hurt and have been there to do anything they could to make it better for me. I don't know what I would do without them.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

In this last year, ZMA, I sleep now! First time in a life time of being a 'Night Hawk'.

Also Water and Sea Salt. It has almost stopped sinus headaches completely.

Of course there are other things I do, but these are the three different things in this pass year.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season,

Shalom, Shirl
  7. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

Hey Pat,
    The thing that has helped me the most this year is my new job. Since changing jobs I do feel somewhat better and I love what I'm doing!

Merry Christmas
    Shelle
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

I think that would be the medications I take for NMH. I was basically bedridden a year ago and now I am able to get out and do things like a normal person, with just a few adaptations.

These adaptations include a folding footrest that fits in my purse. I use it everywhere to help keep my knees higher than my hips. Now instead of having to put my feet up on a chair I just use my little footrest.

Another big adaptation is the scooter I purchased last fall. That is what has really allowed me to get back to doing things like going shopping wherever I want and taking my dog on long walks, unless it's too cold, or wet outside.

I could probably list several other things, but I think this was my biggest problem and having it partially under control has made a huge difference in my life.

Barbara
  9. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

After not knowing what the heck was wrong with me since spring 2001 (suffering fatigue, daily headaches, toothache & fevers, queasy tummy, aches & pains) I recently got help from a naturopath after MD's scratched their heads & did nothing but run more tests! Now that I have changed my diet, take supplements & anti-viral herbs I am finally improving after a long haul of suffering. I'm still having trouble sleeping at night and after the holidays I will ask my doc about trying ZMA. Always such good tips on this board. Love It! Anyway - I am improving & am so THANKFUL & RELIEVED! Sure I am still sick but the suffering is so much less now. This is truly a big blessing to me and my husband & family. I really enjoyed reading this trail of responses. Thanks Pat in UK. Happy Holidays everyone!
  10. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

The things that have helped me the most is realizing I need help, and looking for and taking help when needed. Learning that the world does go on if my house isnt clean,the laundry is not caught up..etc. That I dont need to climb the ladder of success at a job to be a happy person. That its not a perfect world, nothings perfect. Learning coping skills and ways to deal with stress better. Gettting the depression under control. Its like waking up and seeing the world different, my thinking is so much better.

11. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Staying home

supportive hubby & son

this site, you people

neurontin, toprol, hydrocodone

understanding doc

faith

Hard to choose, they are all vital.

Jaci