What Have You Done Today To Feel Proud?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Oct 13, 2005.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

My husband and I enjoy watching the television show "The Biggest Loser." The other night, I asked him if he had ever listened to the words of the theme song and he replied that he has not. I have and find that I am thinking of them every single day now because they are so very special to me.

I don't know all of them, but the words "what have you done today to make yourself feel proud" keep resonating in my mind and I find myself searching and pushing a little harder because of them.

In our situations, having this DD, we may not be physically able to climb a mountain or do the types of workouts done on that show, but we should be patting ourselves on the back for what we do manage to do, shouldn't we?

Cooking a meal, doing a load or two of laundry, reading a book and being able to follow the plot are all accomplishments for us. And I fear that so often, we sell ourselves short because we are still comparing ourselves to those who are healthy and well.

I apologize as it seems that all my posts today have been so long and wordy. I seem to be struggling to get my thoughts across in a concise manner of late. But I just wanted to share this thought with all of you. Find one thing that you have accomplished today to be proud of and then...feel proud and own it! We are much stronger than even we are giving ourselves credit for. Does anyone agree with me?
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

i don't know if this fits in with the theme, but today i have very little energy and am low emotionally. i am lonely, but am too sick to have relationships with humans. i tried to think of something nice to do for my daughter instead of participating in a pity party. i got some things together for her to do a halloween craft when she gets home from school. she will be pleased. by the grace of god, i was able to do something positive, no matter how small and insignificant. Jen
  3. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

What you have done for your daughter is something that memories are made of! Her smile will be your reward and her joy is no small achievement whatsoever! Pat yourself on the back lady! You put your suffering aside and did something very special for your daughter! What a lucky girl she is!
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Focus on what you can do instead of what you can't! There are plenty of things I can't do even when I'm healthy! Drawing comes to mind. Or turning my laundry pink! Letting my plants die! I was doing those things way before I was ever sick!

Today I made a cherry apple pie with my little boy Grant and he was so proud. Went horseback riding and I was proud of myself! Lynn
  5. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

that today I went to lie down when I needed to, instead of trying to do one more thing. It takes so much self-control to say 'no' to doing things.
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

for groceries and I have dinner all lined up, the chopping all done, and the table set so my dear husband will not wonder if dinner is coming tonight. Now, I'm checking this board out and then I'll take a nap.

Thank you for the thought. I do compare myself to my old self and always come up way short. It's nice to be proud of simply going to the store.

Great evening to all!
    Sue
  7. orachel

orachel New Member

You're 100% right....we need to "redefine" success and accomplishments to suit our abilities right now! We cannot measure ourself against what we used to do, or would love to do.....its just setting ourselves up for failure, and noone wants that! LOL

Lets see...

Today I finally got off my bum and made some VERY difficult phone calls to health ins company and some doctors I was trying to schedule with....Kept putting them off because I just wasn't "up" for more rejection. But I finally did it, and sure enough, the info I got was GREAT, not awful! LOL

I haven't been able to drive lately due to fog/neuro issues, but have been doing better with that the last few days. This morning I ran out of my pain meds (not that they really work at all anyway! Ultram 400mgs...just not strong enough for my pain) and forced myself to get dressed and drive (2 minutes!) to the drug store to get scrip filled. I looked wretched and sick and hobbled like a beast...but I got there, darn it! Then I went next door while waiting for scrip to be filled and FINALLY got a gift for a good "work" friend (so haven't seen her much at all, or even talked to her much since I've been off work) who had a beautiful baby girl last wednesday! Such cute little pink schtuff! And I got her a set of baby pajamas that say on front " 3AM...Party in my crib...You bring the bottle"

How cute is that? Ok....that's about it. Oh no....I also while i was out at the store got my husband some "firestarter" cube things for our fireplace that he's been out of...makes it much harder for him to get a fire going. They were HEAVY!!! But I had them double bagged and managed to manhandle them into the car....like less than 10lbs...but that is too much for me! LOL

So, those are my accomplishments today...

PLEASE EVERYONE...LETS KEEP THIS THREAD BUMPED! WHAT A GREAT WAY TO INSPIRE US ALL!

Hugs to all (esp lurkernomore for this great idea!),
    Rachel
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

This is a great thread.

I was proud that I went on a job interview today. It was the second one for the same company... today I met with the owner and he has another interview next Wednesday and then will make a decision. He only asked 3 people back for second interviews and said he was very interested in me but needed to interview this other person. I also have an interview tomorrow.

I'm sorry, I forgot who said it, but learning to say "no" and to forgive ourselves are very difficult. I believe that's why a lot of us are here. We burned ourselves out to please other... well, it's not the only reason we're here.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  9. MKlady

MKlady New Member

Looking at life from this perspective is wonderful! Great to look at what I DID, not what I didn't. I did some office work this a.m., rested, went to Costco (that's a huge accomplishment) so we'd have frozen fruit for breakfast energy smoothies, rested and talked to my 9yo daughter, and in a little while I'm taking her and hubby to dinner (probably at KFC). I finished Anne of Green Gables today. Will watch the Cardinals beat the Astros tonight. All in all, a pretty good day.

When I keep my fatigue down, my mind is pretty clear thanks to the supplements and meds I started at the beginning of Sept. I finally got my 2004 taxes done last week and I'm working on 2005 so we don't get so far behind. That's progress: a couple of months ago, figure work was out of the question! I'm hoping the thyroid meds will help the fatigue as I titrate them up over the next three weeks.

Have a terrific evening!
  10. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

I stayed positive all day.

I was able to "push myself" a bit at pool therapy and do a few extra reps of some exercises.

I called my doc about my new symptoms instead of putting it off.
  11. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

My son came home from preschool looking ashen and tired. His cheeks were a bit red. I was too tired to really take notice at first, but when I kissed his forehead, I knew -- fever. Thermometer confirmed it.

I shook off the exhaustion, fixed a quick dinner, gave him some Motrin, read books to him, and put his magic blanket over him -- until the fever broke at least -- then he leapt off the couch proclaiming he was all better ;).

We'll see when tomorrow rolls around, eh?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2005]
  12. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

I am proud of practising contentment..I am proud of myself when I do a positive review of what I have done or enjoyed in the last 24 hours.
    I am proud when I am strong enough to interrupt my obsessive activity and able to focus on my inner equanimity and peace rather than always achieving an external goal.
    I am proud when I am able to please myself and not other people.
    I am proud of surviving my culture and upbringing when i choose to do nothing (in the eyes of others)
    I wish!!!
    Great Post Lurker
  13. mhammie

mhammie New Member

I let my DH know how much I appreciated him taking me to the hospital & doctors office in the middle of his very busy work day, after I broke my finger.

He heard me hit the outside of the house, and immediately knew something was wrong. (He works from home most days)

I have been kind of pain this week. Started getting gout last weekend. He's been after me all week to go see the doc. Told him it could, wait since I have an appt. next week.

Tomorrow I see the orthopedic surgeon. We had plans to go out of town over the weekend. I have told him I will not put off any treatment the doctor wants to do, even if we have to cancel our plans. He was glad to hear me say that. I'm very stubborn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure he didn't expect me to say that.

Not proud, but very thankful I didn't passout from the pain in my broken finger. I have a tendency to do that.
    Maybe that will happen tomorrow at the orthopedic office. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm proud that I still have my sense of humor. (most days)

I agree that we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. As with most of us here, I miss the things I can't do anymore, but appreciate I can still accomplish other things, even it takes twice as much time to do them.

Mhammie
  14. jennypee

jennypee New Member

but it mattered.

I met my husband at the door and gave him a smooch.

A couple months ago we each made lists of three things we'd like the other person to do every day to make us feel special, and that was his number one. Lots of times I forget or I'm in too much pain to just be wandering around the house smooching people, but not today!

He did my number one also, and it only took a tiny hint. He made me a coffee shake...mmmm.
  15. orachel

orachel New Member

That was a great Proud of moment! I try to kiss hubby at the door also, but man...sometimes I just cannot get up no matter what I try to put into it. I really does make a difference!

And hey...You've really gotta fess up with this coffee shake recipe! How could you have been holding out on such an amazing treat! LOL...Please let me know how to make one, then I'll try to get up the gumption to make one for me and hubby tomorrow!!!

Thanks!
    Rachel
  16. JLH

JLH New Member

You all might laugh, but since my husband was on a business trip this week, I had to carry the trash out.

Now, I take our trash out all of the time to the building where we store it until trash day - on Thursdays.

We live out in the country, so we have to cart it down our long driveways to and sit in on the roadside. Our driveway is long and we don't have one of those huge trash barrels that rolls on wheels. We just put ours in heavy-duty trash bags and put the bags in the trash cans in a building outside.

So I had to carry each heavy bag down our long driveway. They all were heavy, I had to do it early morning while my pinched nerve in my back was still all flared up from being in bed--so I was in horrific pain and could barely walk, and needed my other hand to use my cane.

After 2 trips down the driveway, I had to rest for 30 min., then keep going until I got all the trash carried out.

My arms, shoulders, chest wall, and upper back have hurt all day from carrying those heavy bags of trash, as well as my low back/leg/foot from the pinched nerve.

To be honest, I am not really "proud" that I did it, because I did NOT WANT to do it; however, I was the only one left in the house to do it--or it would have been piled up double until next week, which I did not want that to happen. I just accomplished something today that I don't normally have to do. And ... I'll be paying for it for a few days.

Hubby got home this evening, so he can have "his" chores back!!! Yipee!!!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  17. rigby

rigby New Member

I finally got the labs my doctor wanted done two months ago. Woke up at 12:30 when at 2 ask if I had ate told them I just got up. They just smiled. But it is done!
  18. fivesue

fivesue New Member

What a great idea to make a list of the top three things to make you and your husband feel special. I think I'll do that with Jim tomorrow.

AND, byt the way, I also met him at the door with a kiss. It's been some time as I seem always so tired by that time of day. I can be proud of that because it was an effort.

Thank you for sharing!

Sue
  19. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

We are packing up and moving so today I'm in the middle of cleaning my oven!!!

What a job and takes lots of elbow grease even with the spray oven cleaner. I'm embarrased to say this is the first time I've cleaned it since we moved here! Now that's a day project.

Will be happy to accomplish that task.

Cindy

20. orachel

orachel New Member

...but so far I woke up in a funky mood (still seem to have migraine from yesterday...this is new last 2 weeks...never had migraines like this before!) and laid quietly and listened to great relaxing music before I let my funky mood ruin my whole day...not to mention derail me from the things I have to get done today. I did manage to get myself into a positive mindset before my day "started", which was great. Then I finally started my "detailed" med/treatment/supplement journal...been jotting notes, but this is the real deal!

Our kids are coming tomorrow for our 'weekend" and its my middle stepchild's birthday (7!), so I've gotta figure out a way to clean up my house on my own. Won't be great, but as long as I leave the heavy lifting to hubby and just dust and stuff...and take breaks every 10 minutes or so, I should be able to get thru it. Also have to figure out a way to make hubby's "air compressor" tool blow up 40 balloons from dollar store...cheap way to make it look festive. And I'm also supposed to file ssd today, but dang...that one I've been putting off. I'll check in later to see how much of this I actually got done! LOL

Hugs to all,
    And wishing all of you a HAPPY day productive in whatever way you can be....just brightening someones day on here is a pretty HUGE accomplishment in my book!!!
    Rachel

[ advertisement ]