What have you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sssupermom, Apr 16, 2003.

1. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

I am writting a paper for school about what we all have learned from this disease and I need your input.
    What have you learned about yourself?
    What has given you strength?
    anything you might want to share about how you have grown into a stronger better persons we are all now. Unfortunatelly due to this terrible disease? thanks

2. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

What I've learned about myself....I'm human and I need others around me. I've always been a person that won't let people too close.

What has given me strength....Jesus Christ!!!...my husband for being right there for me...my children. I want them to have as much of me that I can give them.

What I've learned in general for others...live for the day. You never know what your future holds.

Tammy
  3. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I had a friend who had CFIDS before anyone in my state even knew what to do with it. She had to go to Arizona for treatment and that was probably 18 to 20 years ago.

I learned that not every disability can be seen. There is not an answer for everything that happens.

The Lord Jesus Christ does give me strength. It probably helps that I am 62 and have lived through a lot of other stuff, also, and now realize that I have to have faith throughout this ordeal for the sake of everyone around me.

I sure appreciate having a "forum" (this message board) where I can learn from others and what they've experienced. Many things that each of you say here can so affect another. I appreciate all of your advice, I understand when you vent, and although I don't know why ANY of us has this syndrome, I'm sure glad we have each other to hold onto.

Our high school motto was, "what I am to be I am now becoming." Well - it's been a long trip and I guess this was what I was to be and I hope it is this: a more understanding person, maybe somewhat empathetic.

What a good question you asked. I'm sure I'll be thinking about it for a long time.

Pam
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I have learned the most valuable lesson in life after the onset of FM and CFS. I learned that for so many years, those things that I thought brought happiness, fruitfulness, and success, were in fact a chasing after the wind. I believed that all the hard work, daily chores, and tasks added up to something accountable and rewarding. These accomplishements and accessories attained are finite, they are not permanent, they are subject in an instant to loss, erosion, and make no true contribution.

Since FM and CFS have set in, I now know that the greatest contribution I will make in this world is through the relationships I have. It is through the molding of my children and grandchildren; the time I now take to love, encourage, instill values, and self worth, in all eight. Each one of them has the ability to go out into the world and make a positive difference.

For so many years, my focus was in accomplishment, of completing those tasks I thought were important. I was doing so in the belief that it was best for my family; that they should be comfortable, and afforded contentment.

This was an illusion. They are most comfortable and happy when they have something to hold in their heart, not in their hands. It is not the possession of the story book that they treasure, but the time spent sitting in my lap, one on one, quality time, reading and talking.

Each will remember, that they were so important, that at the drop of a hat, mom/grandmother, would direct her full attention to them, and their needs. They will be secure, confident, and capable adults when they are grown.

My reward--why its finding what brings true happiness, discovering that which truly matters in this world. The love of others, and their love for me, and the consequence of this; its endurance into infinity.

LL
  5. truthseeker67

truthseeker67 New Member

I have had FM/CFS 4 years. Although, I was just diagnosed 3 months ago.

1. I have learned the following about myself:

*I am my own best advocate - I must learn to speak up for myself.

*I cannot worry what others think or believe for I know the truth.

*I must be kind and patient with others for they don't understand what it is like nor can they.

*I have learned that no matter my suffering EVERYONE has suffering at some point(s). Some will suffer far more emotionally, physically, mentally, or spiritually.

*I am NOT my diagnosis- I am still the same talented person with goals and dreams - they just may have to be altered a bit.

*I can help others in a way I couldn't before. I can encourage or share tips with others who share in FM/CFS.

*I am blessed for sometimes in slowing down I am able to see or experience simple pleasures they may have otherwise been missed.

*I am blessed with a wonderful husband who truly loves me and believes in me.

*I will have good and bad times - so savor the good!

*Don't judge people by their appearance, just because you look healthy doesn't mean you are and vice versa. I know a man who had a stroke, his speech is slurred but he is still as smart as a whip. He said people look at him and put cognitive handicaps on him which don't exist.

*I have learned to let some things go like the ideal of having a house that ALWAYS looks like the inside of a Home and Garden ad. I mean really... my health and family's happiness IS more important.

2. HERE are the things that have given me strength....

*My Christian faith

*My husband, children, Mom, grandmother, & close friends

*Support boards

*Researching my condition so that I am armed with knowledge.

*Regular exercising makes me feel like I am being proactive in my health.

IN closing I would say that all our experiences add to who we are and they can be ways of growth in character. I believe as a result of this I will be stronger and a better person.

Good luck on your paper- hopefully this helped in some way.

Blessings,
    Truth
  6. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

keep it up...the more I have the better. I have to give a presentation in class and I want to inform people of how people can sometimes even become better with adversity.
  7. wolflake46

wolflake46 New Member

What I have learned about myself is that I do have limits now that I didn't have before. If you could look at my house I'm ashamed to have anybody over to see it. I can't keep up on anything. The laundry is piling up, dishes need to be done, ironing, vaccuming, dusting, you name it. I know that my health comes first and those things will just have to wait until I have a GOOD DAY and can do a little at a time. I've learned I can't depend on my family to pitch in when I'm at my worst. They are tired of hearing the words out of my mouth I can't today, I hurt to much or I'm to tired to go with you. My son who is 21 told me the other day if you loved me mom you would come and see me. He lives 2 1/2 hours away and I just wasn't up to the trip. I told him he wasn't going to lay a quilt trip on me. I learned in many ways I'm alone, with nobody to understand, thank god for this website which helps to keep me sain and has given me strength to go on. I am glad that we are all here for each other as we may be the only ones who truly understand.

Diane
  8. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

please write more thanks
  9. truthseeker67

truthseeker67 New Member

bump for SSSupermom!

Hope the your research paper is going well!

Blessings,
    Truth