What helps anxiety ,stress and nervousness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzetal, Feb 11, 2007.

1. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Anxiety and nervousness,stress and tension, panic attacks, PMS, ADD, depression -on any given night, watch a few hours of TV, and you will see ad after ad by pharmaceutical companies pushing their products on a weary and susceptible public.

Western medicine draws an unnatural line between emotions and physical illness, when no such line exists in the body/mind.

You will see many different types of herbs listed in formulations that address negative emotions and stress. Herbal therapy tends to a more holistic approach than conventional drugs, going beyond just sedatives.

Adaptogens Tonic herbs such as ginseng and ashwanga work over a period of time to help the body cope with stress, increase mental alertness, and physical stamina. Stress pumps the "fight or flight" hormones into our system. When you under constant stress, your adrenal glands become exhausted and you start to feel fatigued, nervous, and irritable

Liver Tonics With any kind of chronic stress, its a good idea to include liver herbs in your routine. Exposure to pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, herbicides, pesticides, and other toxins stress the liver, so do the excess hormones caused by stress

Sedatives and Calmatives. This group of herbs calms nerves and anxiety. Many of the same herbs can be taken in lower doses during the day to calm anxiety, and in higher doses at night to ease sleeplessness.

One of the reasons aromatherapy works so well is that it works on both the emotional level and the physical level at the same time. Herbs like chamomile and lavender calm the mind and relax the physical body as well.

A cup of valerian tea can promote a good nights sleep as well as many of the prescriptions drugs available, without the side effects and without developing dependency. for mild depression than high priced tranquilizers.

Common herbs like rosemary can help a child with ADD focus, and gingko has been used in TCM for thousands of years to combat mental decline.

Emotional Health

Anxiety/Panic *Depression *Insomnia *Stress *
    Anxiety/Panic
    Anxiety Panic Attack Alternative Herbal Medicine remedies natural sedatives

Many plant medicines alleviate occasional anxiety. Sensitivity to this group of herbs varies widely, some people can relax with one cup of chamomile tea, others need several doses of a much more potent herb to feel results.

Start out with a small dose, and adjust the amount as needed, to get the right combination of relaxation without over sedation. Most antianxiety herbs are compatible and enhance each others effect, however, do not mix herbs with prescription anti-anxiety drugs, the results can be unpredictable at best..

Hysteria, or anxiety is a diagnostic label applied to a state of mind, one of unmanageable fear or emotional excesses. The fear is often centered on a body part, most often on an imagined problem with that body part (disease is a common complaint).

People who are "hysterical" often lose self-control due to the overwhelming fear. In modern terms this is often referred to as a panic attack.

When such anxiety is frequent or chronic, adrenal exhaustion results. You experience fatigue, decreased ability.
    Herbal References
    Bergamot
    As a nerve sedative it is valuable for depression and states of anxiety.. Bergamot oil has a slightly irratation effect on the skin in high concentrations, but the reverse if used in moderation (1%). It must never be used neat on the skin in the presence of sunlight. Robert B Tisserand

Clary Sage
    As an anticonvulsive-euphoric-sedative clary is indicated in nervous, hysterical, paranoid, panicky states of mind and is one of the best remedies for depression, of whatever orgin. It is a good tonic of the womb, and of the female system is general. Robert B Tisserand

Tansy
    Tansy is also valuable in hysteria and in kidney weaknesses, the same infusion being taken in wineglassful doses, repeated frequently. It forms an excellent and safe emmenagogue, and is of good service in low forms of fever, in ague and hysterical and nervous affections. As a diaphoretic nervine it is also useful. Maud Grieve

St. John's Wort
    Thanks to phytochemicals such as hyperforin and hypericin St. John's wort helps brighten the moods of people wiht mild to moderate depression and anxiety. It also helps people out of the winter doldrums, a syndrom called seasonal affective disorder (SAD), although it is less effective against the up-and-down mood swings of bipolar depression. James Duke

Oats
    Soothing and nourishing, oats are good for anyone whose nervouse system feels frayed or stressed. In selecting the dried herb for tea, choose seeds that are green to green -yellow, seeds are stronger medicinally than the stems Linda B. White, M.D.

Chamomile
    This old-time remedy for anxiety still works, relaxing and toning the nervous system, and easing the digestive complaints that may accompany anxiety. Linda B. White, M.D.

Vervain
    Vervain soothes and calms the nervous system and addresses any depression hat might be present. It is also beneficial for the liver, if that organ is stressed or damaged. Linda B. White, M.D.

Lavender
    Lovely, fragrant and relaxing, and uplifting- these words describe lavender, which relieves both anxiety and depression Linda B. White, M.D.

Hops
    A moderatly strong remedy for relaxing the central nervous system, hops is also a good herb to use for insomina and tension headaches. Some herbalists recommend avoiding this herb if depression is present, as hops might worsen these feelings. Linda B. White, M.D.

Scullcap
    Skullcap is nourishing and relaxing to the entire nervous system. It is useful for anxiety of all sorts, particularly for the anxiety and mood swings associated with hormonal swings, such as in PMS and menopause Linda B. White, M.D.

Kava-Kava
    The active constituents in kava-kava, kavalactones, modify the same receptors in the brain that allow drings such as Valium to works. Kavalactones mainly act in the limbic system, a part of the brain that influences all other parts of the nervous system and is considered to be the princepal seat of emotions. Linda B. White, M.D.

Valerian
    Here is a good, strong antianxiety herbs. Its active ingredients, valepotriates, blind to benzodiazepine receptor sites in the brain- a mechanism simular to drugs like Valium. The herb, however, seems to be more benefical to the nervous system, and does not cause dependence or tolerance. This is the best studied herbal sleep aid. Like benzodiazepine drugs, valerian puts you to sleep but doesn't cause a morning hangover, interact with alcohol, or lead to addiction.

Research shows that extracts of the root not only help you fall asleep faster but also improve sleep quality. Can't sleep without a last puff? Valerian relaxes tense muscles, it can be used as a sleep aid if insomnia is one of your quitters symptoms. Linda B. White, M.D.

Passion Flower
    Generally used for treating insomnia, passionflower is a strong calming herb and is occasionally useful for severe daytime anxiety. Linda B. White, M.D.

Ginseng
    Also known as Chinese ginseng, it comes in many forms and strengths, so it can be tricky to use if you are not experiences with herbs. It is an effective herb for chonic stress, however it may worsen anxiety in some people. Linda B. White, M.D.

Licorice
    Among its many medicinal benefits, licorice is considered an adrenal tonic, in particular, it increases production of the very chemicals that aid in the body's recovery form chonic anxiety.

This root is a one-stop herb shop for bronchitis. It soothes mucous membranes and is expectorant, anti-inflammatory, and directly antiviral. It also stimulates cells to produce interferon, the body's own antiviral compound.

It acts much like your body's own natural corticosteroids. Licorice decreases generation of damaging molecules called free radicals at the site of inflammation and it inhibits an enzyme that's involved in the inflammatory process. Linda B. White, M.D.

Angelica
    The fruit, leaf, and root of this herb stimulate digestion, help dispel gas and calm the nerves. Angelica is especially good when bloating or cramps are present. Linda B. White, M.D.

Ginseng
    Many American scientists aren't convinced, but clinical studies involving people and animals, as well as test tube experiments, suggest that ginseng may boost mood, improve memory and attention, lengthen physical and mental endurance, improve test scores, and ease anxiety. James Duke

Chamomile
    Chamomile is commonly used for stomach stress, digestive complaints, nervous system disorders, inflammation in the joints, and for wounds. It is an excellent remedy for all manner of womens disorders and is especially valuable for problems arising from stress, anxiety, and tension. Rosemary Gladstar

Quick Tips
    To prevent of relieve or prevent panic attacks use Jasmine, melissa, neroli, ylang-ylang, frankincense, rose, lemon or verbena

Helpful Herbs for: Anxiety/Panic
    Bacopa * Basil * California Poppy * Camphor * Chamomile * Clary Sage * Ginseng * Ginseng, Siberian * Hops * Jamaican Dogwood * Kava-Kava * Lavender * Licorice * Marjoram,Sweet * Motherwort * Neroli * Oats * Passion Flower * Peppermint * Reishi * Rosemary * Schisandra * St. John's Wort * Tansy * Valerian * Vervain *

I need you to know That NONE of these are my telling anyone to try.This is for those who were wondering about herbal remidies.BEFORE STARTING ANYTHING CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR> Thank You
    Sue

[This Message was Edited on 02/12/2007]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have never seen it advertised. I think I learned of it here. It is not for everyone and there can be side effects, including physical dependence which means one has to very slowly withdraw from it. It is an anticonvulsive/antiseizure med.

On the plus side, at least for me, it lets my racing brain settle down so I can sleep; it diminishes my sensory overload, and it has stopped my anxiety/panic attacks. It also helps with pain, muscle spasms, and tinnitus. Obviously, it has been a God send for me.

I'm not recommending it but it is another alternative and, based on past posts, it has helped others here too.

Love, Mikie
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Most tranquilizing drugs modify the GABA receptors in the brain...scary thought.

My neurologist told me that taking GABA (Gamma Amino Byturic Acid) won't work since we don't know what the "transport mechanism" is across the Blood-Brain-Barrier (BBB).

Lately it was discovered that L-Theanine is that transport mechanism. Theanine is found in Green Tea. Sun Theanine has GABA + Theanine + 5HTP.

This stuff works for my anxiety. It does so with out making me feel drowsy. So I give an A+.

The herbals, I take at night since sleeping through an entire night is a blessing to any CFS/FM patient.
  4. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

I also take klonopin (clonazapam) at a very low dose & it works very well.

Esp to de-stress at bedtime, i'm been taking low dose for years to help with sleep.
  5. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

But now that I'm sick, lorazepam works pretty well.
    Talking to my sister and best friend helps too.
    Watching funny movies, reading a good book.
    Best of luck
    Mini
  6. California31

California31 New Member

Right now...klonopin...very. very small dose...(muscle rigidity)....but have used herbs many times...I understand it is important to double check with an herbalist regarding valerian...and as with all "things"...St. John's wort had no discernable effect....but passion flower, California poppy, hops....all helped with sleep....brewed into a tea...and just used small amounts of poppy, and hops...
    I've also found that it is super important to be around caring....upbeat friends....last weekend was with a friend who has 4th stage condition....we laughed, we ate...we acknowledged the condition...discussed a bit of the experimental treatment....watched ships go by on the bay...laughed some more...connected....hadn't seen each other in about 5 years...and a great few hours together...I guess it's alot about "being here now" honoring what is working in my life as much as possible....
    I really appreciated reviewing alternative sources for alleviating some of the emotional...phsyical concerns that can more than grab my attention....thank you very much.
  7. shyguy453

shyguy453 New Member

They all help with the symptoms but I do not get full relief.,....?
  8. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Thanks Sue for this useful information :)

I'm always looking for alternatives.

scapper