What helps for concentration/focus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mommygee, Dec 31, 2006.

1. mommygee

mommygee New Member

What helps you when you cannot concentrate or focus? I've sat at my desk for the last 3 weeks procrastinating because I cannot concentrate on my projects. My dr suggested that I might want to lessen my dose of Lexapro (20 mg a day). I don't feel like I can do that because of my post-partum depression.

Is there a herb/meds/anything that helped you?

Thanks in advance!

Amy
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Most depression is caused by low serotonin (neurotransmitter in the brain). Lexapro is a SSRI, I remember this one real well, that side effect called "anorgasm" is totally unacceptable.

You can try tryptophan in capsules, its an amino acid so it safe if you want to breast feed. Good sources are Cashews, turkey (dogs, bacon and deli), dairy (if not allergic) and bananas.

Also, 5-HTP works better for some ppl.

For anxiety (lexapro), consider GABA+Theanine. Both safe since they're amino acids again. Theanine will make you calmer w/o the drowsiness.

My kids didn't let me sleep much since they all had colic. I was a zombie for awhile.

CFS also has a symptom of Cognitive Dysfunction. We call it Brain Fog. Enzyme therapy might work for you. Once again, safe for breast feeding. Research William Wong N.D. and systemic enzymes.
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Ginkgo Biloba
    Phosphatidyl Serine
    Lecethin

If alertness, drowsy symptoms are a problem. DL-Phenylalanine will help. This helps your body to make Dopamine, Tyrosine, Epinephrine, Norepinephrine. Will help with PAIN, a LOT.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Provigil was a magic pill for me with regard to this as well as ambition to get things done. Unfortunately, I crash big time after I take it.

i've not found anything else that has helped except improving my health in general.
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

When I started acetyl l carnitine, I started to be able to read again. Instead of just a couple of minutes at a time, I could read pages at one sitting. I used to be so bad with that, I couldn't "watch" the news, my brain would "read" the words going by on the bottom and make me really ill.

And now when I start to get "foggy" from lots of reading, I take some Ambrotose and I can go on.

TMG, trimethylglycine, an amino acid and precursor to some neurotransmitters

DMAE supposedly has nootropic effects

phosphatidyl choline (in lecithin which also helps digest fats) and phosphatidyl serine, more precursors to neurotransmitters

I take all these.

karen
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Someone suggested 5-htp or l-tryptophan for depression. These are very good suggestions, but you should NOT take them at the same as the Lexapro, because you may develop serotonin syndrome (too much serotonin).

5-htp can work very well for depression without the negative side effects of SSRIs like Lexapro. I had a friend who was taking Lexapro, she got off of it and started taking 5-htp, and she liked it much better, she felt better, and had more energy.

Also, are you taking a good B complex vitamin? It's very important for mental functioning. You probably need extra B-12 as well. Sublingual methylcobalamin is the best kind.

Gingko biloba and gotu kola are herbs that can help the brain function better.

Good luck --

Mary
  7. jedinvest

jedinvest New Member

I've almost always worked except for a brief interlude when I was very ill. What I have found is:

1. B12 5mg methylcobalamin from this site, i.e. there max dosage, once a day at least. It's effect is gradual, but should be noticeable at some point in the day.

2. Awakening from Body Alive (you have to do a web search to find their link). It has ginseng but also is a proprietary blend of a lot of stuff. I use to take only one in the morning, but now take two every morning. It is as close as you get to getting your brains from a bottle.

3. Just recently started taking whey protein powder as sort of a power drink. Not so sure about it, but it is good to get enough proper food in your system at the right time.

My answer is basically 2, but you would be foolish to also skip 1.
  8. deliarose

deliarose New Member

until i started on transfer factor and getting my viral load down. Chlorella seems to be helping.

I'm carrying a very heavy metal load according to some tests I just had done.

I don't think any amount of supps would help with that...and i think that was the root cause of my fog.

delia