What helps you cope with a long crash?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by MicheleK, Nov 19, 2012.

1. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

Hi everyone,

I am still in a deep crash and trying to get use to living this way again. I can be patient and lay in bed resting for a few weeks, but when it goes on and on, I get restless to feel better.

I thought I felt okay today and got dressed. I figured I would sit in the livingroom and read a novel. I read two paragraphs and had to get back in bed where I still am laying. That was the extent of the energy my body had for the day. I am so sick of this!

I've had to take a leave of absence from all the patient advocate roles I usually am involved in. I've never had to do that! But it is obvious to me that this crash is quite serious and is going to take aggressive rest and time.

Meanwhile I am using Netflix, Hulu, and online games to keep me from going nuts. It is hard after a few months of having been able to get out once a week or so, to get use to being crashed and like the living dead. I am so thankful that I do not have depression on top of the physical stuff. I don't know how patients who also have depression with their ME or FM handle it all.

I go through a mantra of counting my blessings when I get really sick like this. I have a long list of things could be worse situations I run through my head. It helps me be grateful that though I am suffering, I am not being beaten, starving, raped etc.

Thinking of the things others are going through in the world helps me cope. What helps you cope when you are in a long and deep crash?
  2. I can so relate to what you're going through... and I am so sorry you're having to deal with such a bad crash too. I've been dealing with mine for quite a while now... and since the surgery 2 weeks ago, its been even worse, unfortunately. And like you, I am SO sick of this!

The insomnia that kicked in last Thursday night has added another dimension to an already extremely difficult situation. Sometimes I've broken down in tears when I'm feeling so bad and the hours go by and I can't even sleep! But for me, the ONLY thing that helps me cope is my faith. Spending time in God's Word and in prayer helps me not to lose heart nor lose my mind. But I'll tell you, the recent, ongoing sleep deprivation is pushing the envelope! But I know God is holding on to me through all this... and even though I don't understand WHY He is allowing me to go through so much suffering, I choose to trust Him and praise Him through the storm.

Like you too, Michele, I know I have much to be thankful for... IN SPITE OF this DD... and this severe crash...and severe insomnia. And I know that being thankful is crucial to being able to cope when going through such suffering and isolation. Counting our blessings is def a wise thing to do... and is necessary if we have any hope of coping well with such difficult situations as we're in right now.

Since the insomnia kicked in, until last night, I realized that I hhadnt read my Bible or devotionals because I had been in such a sleep deprived fog... Well, this past Saturday I found myself getting angrier and angrier with my situation (the insomnia on top of the crash I was already dealing with) and I stayed that way all day. But once I remembered to give it all to the Lord... to cast all my anxiety on Him and allow myself to focus on Him and listen to His perspective, my peace returned and I was sorry that I had wasted a whole day being angry. Anger only makes things worse anyway... and certainly doesn't help us feel better, does it?

I also like to watch comedies on tv when I'm bedridden... laughter is def helpful when trying to cope with this DD!

I also think it helps us cope better when we know that others care and are praying for us. That's one of the reasons I love this board so much! And I def care and am praying for you, Michele! Praying we BOTH are much better soon!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel

3. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

Thank you Shel.

I too read my bible for spiritual strength. I've been a student of the bible for over 30years now. The comfort and hope held in it's pages does indeed give us insight into coping with all kinds of circumstances.

If you like clean comedy I recommend Brian Regan. You can find his stuff on Netflix or on Amazon etc.. His funniest one is called "I walked on the Moon". It's a hoot. I have his latest DVD and have been waiting to watch it with my husband. Unfortunately as sick as I am we haven't been able to even watch tv together. I have to lay and be quiet alone for now to heal.

I also recently have been watching a new show called "Go On" that is really funny. I don't know what night it is on. I watch it on Hulu.com. Watch it from the beginning. You will laugh out loud.

Hugs, Michele

4. freida

freida Active Member

Hi Michele,

I am not up to writing much at this moment,
    but just want to send a special hello your way and my warm hopes for you.

I'm sorry you're in a bad and lengthy crash.
    I too deal with very long ones, so I do understand how very difficult it is,
    to keep trying to cope, and to wait for some better hour, and to relax, and to repeatedly remind myself of some positive things to think about.

I'm sorry you've been struggling so much,
    but I have been glad to see you again, the past couple of days, here at the board.

I hope I will think of something more to suggest, and have the stamina to write more , tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Take gentle loving care of yourself,
    like you would another loved one.

Leah
  5. mbofov

mbofov Member

I'm really sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Have you had your adrenals checked? I know of a couple of people who were bedridden for several years due to weak adrenals and had never been diagnosed.

Many years ago I was weak as a kitten, literally, could do nothing but sit. and am so grateful I went to my chiropractor who does muscle testing and he found out in almost seconds that my adrenals were wiped out. Weak adrenals leave you extremely debilitated. My chiro gave me Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process - I had to take about 3 times the regular dose, for about 2 weeks. But in just a couple of days my energy started to pick up. Also I found that pantothenic acid is very important for adrenal health. I take 500 mg. pantothenic acid as well as a good B complex.

I try to be grateful too for what I have, and that I'm not starving, raped etc., but don't let that diminish the magnitude of what you're going through - it is huge being basically confined to bed.

One more thing - have you seen an integrative medicine doctor? They will look into many more things than regular docs will. acam.org has a link to IM doctors throughout the U.S. and Canada.

I don't think you're experiencing a CFS crash - post-exertional malaise - because that usually resolves within a couple of days as the body rebuilds its energy stores. I think something else is going on with you and in my experience, I think adrenals are the most likely culprit. But you may have already looked into this - I'm just guessing. I hope you get some help soon.

Take care -

Mary