What Helps You Sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Jul 23, 2003.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I have been on trazadone for several years now. It was the BEST sleep I had in ages. Before being diagnosed with the fibro, in April, I felt the 'traz' was losing it's effectiveness. I have an appointment tmw to review my meds, and am interested in knowing what works for some of you. Any information would be appreciated!

Gentle hugs to all,

Kim
  2. youmansm

youmansm New Member

Hi. I am looking for something good for sleep that is not too sedating. The tiniest dose of Elavil knocked me out for 14 hours! Flexeril seemed to work for a long time. I am actually now on Klonopin because I needed to go on it several years ago for anxiety. But I think it's too sedating. I just posted a note about Vistaril, wondering if it works for Fibromyalgia. Haven't heard anything yet. If you find something out, please post it! What is this other stuff you've been taking, btw--never heard of it.
  3. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Elavil I would sleep really well, but I gained weight and so I had to stopped.
  4. spmary

spmary New Member

Hi Ambien is quick.
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Hi......I probably didn't spell the above correctly! LOL I don't know anything about using it for fibro. I have had it as a mild sedation when having minor surgery, etc. Be interesting to hear comments.

The trazadone is an anti-depressant, with other qualities, which is given frequently for sleep. I am on a high dose (200 mg daily), and it isn't working for me anymore.

I hope we both find some answers!

Good luck to you!

Kim
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thanks for replying! I tried ambien before the trazadone and it didn't help the first 3-4 nights. I think it started to kick in as they changed me to the trazadone! Did it work quickly for you?

Thanks!

Kim
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Klonopin helps me to get 8 hrs. of quality sleep and awaken refreshed. Elavil and Flexeril made me sleepy but didn't give me good sleep. I put on 20 lbs. with each one. The Klonopin also helps with anxiety/panic attacks, sensory overload, muscle spasms, and tinnitus.

Love, Mikie
  8. karenq

karenq New Member

In the book From Fatigued to Fantastic, Dr. Teitelbaum suggests using small doses of a combination of things to help with sleep. That's basically what I was already doing. I use Ambien (hate it when used alone), benedryl, and meletonin. Any one or two of those things used alone don't make me sleepy or don't help me sleep through the night.

Karen
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Weight gain was one of the side effects I had heard about with elavil. I've gained enough weight already! So it's a catch 22, weight or sleep? LOL

Hugs,

Kim
  10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Hi!

I am on klonopin already for anxiety. It seems as if I work thru everything. May I ask what dosage you take Mikie?

Karen, the book sounds very interesting. The idea about using small amounts of several drugs makes sense to me! Did your doctor suggest or did you after reading the book?

Hugs to you both,

Kim
  11. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    Ambien knocks me out fast. It has been great to get some sleep!
  12. epicurean

epicurean New Member

also, I take 150 mg. at bedtime,plus ambien on most nights.Manage to get about 6 hrs. sleep,and no I don't feel groggy in the a.m.
    good-luck!!
  13. pearls

pearls New Member

Ambien gave me much better sleep, but I always woke up once or twice anyway. During those times, my husband sometimes found me asleep in the sink, or even incoherent and just standing there when we spent the night on a boat! He lost sleep because he worried all night. That made my doc worried, too, so he switched me to Sonata.

Unfortunately, I'm sleeping even less now. What wakes me up is a tremendous amount of prickly and even burning pain in my hands. My hand pain is not even touched by the opiates I take for my chest pain, unfortunately. I'll be trying trigger point, and/or carpal tunnel injections soon.

Longing for some ZZZ's,
    Pearl
  14. judywhit

judywhit New Member

i was almost ready to check into the hospital for lack of sleep. nothing over the counter worked, trazadone, ambein works but not a restful sleep. I tried everything. I now sleep pretty good with 20-30mg of elavil and 2 benadryl per night. I have gained about 5pds on this dose.
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

and Zanaflex works the best for me. I take 3-4 tablets of it and I sleep like a baby (most of the time) and wake up refreshed.
  16. karenq

karenq New Member

My doctor rarely suggests anything for my FMS stuff. I usually find something through reading books or searching the internet or through this board and then ask her if it's something we can try. I sort of stumbled on using the combination of stuff. I used to just take 1 tylenol pm and 1 dose of children's liquid benedryl. They use the same ingredient for sleep, but I found the liquid benedryl would help me get to sleep pretty fast and the tylenol pm tablet would help me sleep through the night. Then it stopped working so well. I started waking up in the night a lot. But I think it was after reading Teitelbaum's book that I decided to try melatonin again--had tried it before and didn't like it. It helped my muscles to relax, but I couldn't get to sleep. So I tried the melatonin and benedryl and still didn't feel rested. Then I added the ambien which I had absolutely hated when I took it alone, and viola, it seems the perfect combo for me. This is all with my doctor's approval.

Tietelbaum says he prefers using a combo of different medications because people with FMS are often sensitive to medicines at high doses. Also, he says that low doses of a combo will all clear out of your body by morning, whereas a high dose of a single medication may not be cleared out of your body by morning which will give you that hungover feeling.

He does not specifically recommend the combo I am on. He lists several sleeping aids including Ambien, Trazodone, Passionflower, delta-wave inducing CDs or tapes, Klonopin, Melatonin, Unisom, Soma, Flexeril, Kava kava, 5-HTP, Remeron, Elavil, Xanax, Brain wave unit, and Sinemet.

I hope you find what works best for you!

Karen
  17. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

Zanaflex 2 mg at bedtime.
    Traxene 3.75 at bedtime.
    dolsgirl
  18. teach6

teach6 New Member

Before my dx I tired about everything I could think of. I used Tylenol PM (benedryl) which worked briefly. I tried Sonata, which never worked for more than 4-5 hours. Earlier I had good results from Ambien, but this time that only helped for 5-6 hours. I had used a combo of Ambien and Xanax and that helped for a while. Then doc had me add Trazadone to thte mix. That combo helped for a bit.

Nothing really seemed to let me sleep through the night and wake feeling rested. Now I take a combination that does work. I sleep at least 8 hours and feel rested in the morning.

Here's what I take: Klonopin, 1.5 mg; Trazadone, 100mg; Flexeril, 10mg; Neurontin, 1400mg. I have had to adjust this when adding something new, but this has been working for about a year now with no changes.

Barbara
  19. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I'm with the magnesium people. Trazadone didn't do my any good. Ambien worked like a charm but I can't afford the Rx anymore.

Then I read here about magnesium helping people sleep, so I got some. As it happened, I was out of Paxil and when I'm out of that I keep waking up all night and have terrible dreams. The magnesium (just plain) worked like magic, even then. I'm back on the Paxil now but I'm not giving up the magnesium. The only time it didn't work was when I went to bed way too early (I'm a night person and sleep from 4:00 am until maybe 1:00 or even 3:00 PM).

JoAnn
  20. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Heres what I take;

Xanax 0.25 milligrams at 7pm for racing brain syndrome

ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and B-6) 2 capsules, at 9pm for deep sleep(also helps with spasms, pain, cognitive problems).

Melatonin 2 1/2 milligrams at bedtime to help fall asleep

I have tried most sleep meds around, none helped for long, or had crazy experiences with them.

The key to the above it the ZMA, I took the Xanax and Melatonin before I started ZMA. I was still waking up all night long. But since adding the ZMA I sleep for 7-8 hours each night now for 17 months.

My pain is way down, if I get a flare, it last days instead of months or weeks, and I have not had a spasms in almost a year now.

Shalom, Shirl

Others take the Klonopin instead of the Xanax and get the same results.