What helps you the most with Panic Attacks Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Apr 21, 2007.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Hi all,

Just wondered what helps you the most with anxiety and panic attacks. I have CFS, and mitral valve prolapse syndrome --my entire nervous system is sensitive. I tend to release stress hormones like adrenaline which causes palpitations and the jittery feeling.

For over 15 years, I have taken a small dose of Xanax which has helped, but doctors say I don't take enough. I take (2) 0.25 tables in divided doses throughout the day. I tend to have some agoraphobia (mostly due to the fear of my health problems) and practice avoidance behavior (not going places or travel) due to this.

Now I tried a small Buspar 5mg one day--which made me feel mellow, however, found out it interacts with the Verapamil that I take for my heart--SO I don't want to mess with that. It also gave me indigestion.

Just curious what you all take for anxiety and panic, so I can bring it up to my doctor at the next visit.

Looking forward to a poll.

Best,
    T

2. Risk

Risk New Member

My heart goes out to you! Since being diagnosed with fibro 7 years ago, I experience panic attacks. I've always been a worrier, but more so now. Every ache, pain, chest pain, burning sensation, I think wham! it's my heart. Everything has checked out fine. I take zoloft 50mg and 1/2mg klonopin twice a day. I think we tend to get outselves into a vicious circle. We associate having a panic attack with being out and then we don't want to go out again because of fear of another panic attack. I wish I could find the answer. I've tried to talking myself out of them, walking, deep breathing, but still, they strike and without warning. Usually much more when I'm stressed, which I have been lately.

I plan on talking to my dr. as well to see if there is another drug I can use instead of the zoloft. Perhaps my body has gotten used to it?

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Just wanted to let you know that you are NOT alone.

Hugs,
    Rene
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

T:

Pure and simply: Klonopin

I swear by the medication. I take 4mg. daily.

nyrofan
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2007]
  4. crossword

crossword New Member

I took this because it is supposed to calm the neurotransmitters in the brain. I started last October, 750 MG tablet. It not only stopped the panic and stress but it also stopped my acid reflux that I have had for at least 20 years. I take one in the morning after breakfast. So far everything is OK.
  5. jole

jole Member

I'm on 0.5 mg Xanax either three times a day or as needed, however I want as long as not more than t.i.d. It seems to work for me most of the time, and also calms my heart palpitations. Since I rarely take it three times a day they said they would up it if I needed stronger.

Friends - Jole
  6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

This is a godsend for my panic attacks but you need to be careful to only use as needed as tolerance builds very quickly.

Love Bunchy x
  7. knitsnfits

knitsnfits New Member

I have mvp too and fms and panic. I take a half tab of 25mg of toprol as needed. it works for me in 20 min.
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Works fast and well.

Don't need it much anymore, thank goodness. Does help me sleep some nights when the sandman just doesn't stop at my house.

Take care!
    Sue
  9. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Alot of answers here, for me it's been the magnesium supplement that's seemed to really help.