What helps you with fatigue??? natural vs. prescription

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by iggyangel, Jul 4, 2006.

1. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

I am on lots of supplements and dietary changes, even doing the treadmill when I can.
    My rheummy wants me to try ritalin,
    I tried provigil and it did not help.
    Im starting RN school in AUG and I know I cannot function like this.
    input needed.
    THanks,
    Iggy
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Well, to be honest, for me it's just learning how to balance activity with rest. I don't have a whole lot of money, so I haven't many treatments at all. I've tried diet and exercise. I lost weight, however, I'm still sick. I cannot afford to see countless doctors and try different meds and various treatments, especially if I'm not 100% sure that they will work. So, instead, I've had to come up with my own way to manage my disease. No, it's not a cure, but it helps me get through each day.

Basically, I've learned to recognize my limitations, and rest as much as I can when I'm starting to feel sick. For instance, yesterday I knew I had to go to work at 3pm. So, my husband (being the great guy he is) let me sleep in late, while he got up with our 5-year old son. Then, before work I laid down for a couple hours. I wasn't able to fall asleep because my mind was racing, however, just laying down and resting was enough to help me make it through the evening. I'm glad I did because I needed it. Not even 2 hours into my shift I began running a fever of 100 degrees, and I felt absolutely miserable.

Anyway, I pray that one day there will be a cure for this illness, but for now I must resort to my own "treatments". Sometimes I feel guilty, like I should be trying some of these other things (ie. herbal supplements, accupuncture, anti-virals, etc,etc,etc), but I've got to make do with what I've got.

Sorry I'm not of much help. But, I think one of the most important things with these illnesses is to have that balance between activity and rest. There will still be times that you'll overdo it by far, and that's unavoidable. But, for the most part it's made my disease just a little bit easier to cope with.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I'm in my last year of RN school, so I can definitely relate to how difficult it can be. RN school is tough for anyone, even without a disease like this. The best advice I can give you for school is to just do the best you can. And, if you don't do so well on one test, don't worry about it. You can make up for it on the next one.

The program I am in, we need a 75% or better to pass. Anything under that is considered failing. I was extremely intimidated by that at first, thinking how much pressure that was to put on myself. I still tend to push myself a little bit too far. But I've come to realize that my family and my health are more important than getting an A on every test. So, if I don't get an A on the tests, I'm fine with that. As long as I'm getting at least the 75 that I need to pass.

Anyway, go easy on yourself. Many schools also have disability services for people with chronic conditions. See if your school has that available, it may help a bit to alleviate some of the stress.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  4. hanna4175

hanna4175 New Member

i am on so much medications!! but at night time i have a hard time going to sleep.. thank god for my meds.. i take remeron..seroquel..and one alprazolam.. and it knocks me out.. if i dont take my meds then im up all night.. with terrors etc..
  5. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I wish I had no fatigue. My rhuemy started me on Strattera in April for cognitive issues. I had gone through some neuro-cognitive testing because of issues with finding the rights words, saying out loud the wrong word, typing - etc. The doc who did the testing was a pyschologist and while it was a long morning, it eliminated everything but FMS.

My intelligence, memory and logic are normal but he determined that like most FMS sufferers my ability to think and communicate with distractions is limited. When I was fatigued it was even worse. He thought I could benifit from the Stratterra and it does seem to help. I am able to communicate much better and consistently. I only take it at bedtime though I could take one in the morning too. It makes me a bit drowsy though and since the one helps, I am not going to tempt fate!
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I'm currently taking calcium pyruvate (1000mg) once a day in the morning. I go for a half hour walk at lunch. I find it gives me much needed energy that lasts for most of the day.

It is also helping me burn fat and pounds. I'm losing my menopause tummy which I'm very happy about. I know the supplement has helped some others on this board.

Regards,
    Eileen.
  7. ckball

ckball New Member

I was put on Adderall last year for ADD and it gave me my life back. Not 100% but I am able to do more and think more clearly.

If I overdo, which I am famous for, I pay for a day to 3 days where NOTHING will work.

I am precribed 4 -5 mg. percocets, 3 trammadol and 30mg of adderall a day. I usually take them all. I get a ambein cr at night and sleep about 11 hours. If I go to bed at 11, I get up around 11. I have found when I am forced to get up earlier because of a Dr appt or somthing in the am, I feel better during the day.

I wake up several times for potty breaks, I have a small, damaged bladder (radiation treatment) and my dogs get me up to go out. Today I got up at 9 and started to stay up but went back to bed and did sleep until 11. Then it takes me longer to get going.

I am considering setting my alarm to get up earlier to see what happens in the afternoon.

I hope you find what works for you.-Carla
  8. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

I called my doc yesterday and I am picking up a script tomorrow of ritalin.
    I dont think I can afford adderral cuz there is no generic and I dont have ins.
    I will get some of the supplements listed here.
    and I will not feel guilty about the ritalin.
    I cannot do it w/out it right now.
    Thank you all sooooooooooooooo much.
    blessins,
    Iggy