what herbs or suppliments help with anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

My anxiety's pretty low-key, but I want to have it gone. Are there foods or suppliments that help with this? What makes us anxious anyway? Thanks! Shannon :)
  2. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Please ask around....but my daughter-in-law suffered anxiety really bad, and she was told to take high doses of evening primrose oil. I will call her tomorrow and ask her the doseage.
    The health food store can tell you a safe level...but I will check and get back on this.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2005]
  3. Shannonsparkles

for the info. Any other goodies y'all? Thanks :)
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

nothing better that I know of. Herbs like valerian are also used if anxiety is more acute. A nice herbal blend of chamomile and catnip (w/ added St. John's if you like) can really calm you at night. The loose herbs can be found at health stores that sell bulk herbs, and it's cheap to take this way. Also, a nice cup of tea is much more soothing than swallowing a pill.

jeanne

ps. valerian is very pungent, you definitely want that in pill form, not tea.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2005]
  5. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I use Bach's rescue remedy: sublingual drops from the health shop that I take when I feel anxious. They work quickly. There are other types of drops around made from things like bush flowers etc., but the Bach is the best, in my opinion.

It is also fine with babies and animals. I give it to my cat before her vet visit - I take some too.!!!!!!!

Do not know why, after 40 odd years, I suddenly developed anxiety attacks and occasional full blown panic attacks. I travelled around China by myself before I got sick without anxiety - now I often get anxious when I go out to water the garden.
  6. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

Sometimes I get a bit of jittery energy after taking my B vitamins. When this happens, I take one Valerian capsule to take off the edge. Doesn't seem to decrease my energy much, but it does seem to smooth out the jitters.
  7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

they are easy to grow. The research I did on it said that all parts from the flowers to the stems and leaves are all useful. Some varieties also produce fruit. Check the bigger online nurseries for various types. I know Park carries several and even Ebay under "vine" has had them. I know some herbal places sell the dried parts too.
  8. Shannonsparkles

I'll look these up!
  9. kalaya

kalaya New Member

As already said valerian root is very good and so is Passion flower.Also Skullcap is another great one and don't be scared off by the name it is called skullcap due to the shape of the herb not because it has eerie harmfull effects.Also hops and German Chamomile.You can get pills that have a combination of all of these.God bless
  10. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

One that is really good to keep around for those anxious times is L-Theanine! My chiropractor got me started on that. It helps me go to sleep too!