What I'm doing for FM Awareness Day

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Apr 11, 2003.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

Just wanted to share with you what I am doing for FM Awareness Day on May 12. I am putting the following article in my local newspaper. I would like to have made it longer, but I know the paper only has so much space. As it is, this may get cut, but I hope not.

Fibromyalgia Awareness Day

"May 12 is Fibromyalgia (FM) Awareness Day. As the name implies, the purpose is to increase knowledge and awareness of this chronic and often debilitating disease for which there is presently no cure. FM is characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and multiple tender points. "Tender points" refers to tenderness that occurs in precise, localized areas, particularly in the neck, spine, shoulders, and hips. People with FM often suffer from sleep disturbances, morning stiffness, severe widespread pain, headaches, fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety, memory and concentration problems, among other symptoms.

Although the cause of FM is unknown, one theory is that it develops as a result of physical or emotional trauma. Another theory is that it is triggered by an infectious agent such as a virus. FM can also occur with other diseases such as chronic fatigue immune deficiency syndrome (CFIDS), rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, and endometriosis. FM affects 3 to 6 million people in the U.S. alone, most of whom are women.

There is a FM support group at the Carter Rehabilitation Center in Tecumseh, which meets the last Monday of each month from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Those with CFIDS and arthritis are also included. I am also a crisis call listener for the Endometriosis Association and take calls on Wednesday evenings from 7-9 p.m. My number is ______."

Ellen Comstock

How does that sound? If anyone would like to also put this in their local newspaper (excluding the last paragraph, of course) that would be great. Or maybe use part of what I have written and do some yourself. I just feel we need to do something to gain more awareness and who better to do this than those of us who suffer from these diseases.
  2. COOKIEMONSTER

COOKIEMONSTER New Member

How would you get your local newspaper to print something like this?
  3. jamedw1

jamedw1 New Member

you pay them... :)

(well, that is unless you have a local newspaper with a heart)...

ed
    [This Message was Edited on 04/11/2003]
  4. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

I thought about it, and if a newspaper wanted to charge for this, couldnt it be sent to "Letter to the Editor"? There are always opinions and such in those letters.

I too am sending something to my newspaper. I am also sending this to local TV stations. One in particular has a huge focus on health issues. I am using every outlet available on May 12th to get the word out.
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

this article put in the "letters to the editor" section of the paper. It's not terribly long, so I am hopeful that they won't edit some of it out. A few years ago I put an article in the newspaper about a new endometriosis support group and they put it in the regular part of the paper for free, but unfortunately, they really shortened it. My local paper has been really good about putting news in for free and since I am talking about a FM support group, I don't see any problem. I don't care what section it gets in as long as it does. I am hopeful they will put it in early May-just before Awareness Day.

Ellen
  6. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

we will see if they print it. Good idea and article.
    Carlacat
  7. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hats off to you, Ellen, for coming up with this idea! I've often wondered how to foster more awareness in my community, and this certainly fits the ticket!

Thanks for sharing this!
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace ALL Grievances
  8. motherjo

motherjo New Member

Hi Ellen, I am so glad I found your massage, I was look for one of our great writers or poets to write something thank we none writers could use. I thank you. NOW if I could find one to send to our officals. GOD BLESS MOTHERJO
  9. Cycie

Cycie New Member

Hi Ellen, Of course it is over now, but my friend and I who run a support group in Aus ran a story in the local n/paper (Free). Also approached a chain store and they allowed us to set up a table with lots of information on and we also sold "Blue Ribbons" and raffle tickets to benefit the group.
    We were able to get Awareness out to a lot of people and they had the opportunity to access the info flyers.
    we went in for 8 days(pre-Awareness day) and on the actual day (12th)and we made just over $500 for our group.
    Just thought it may be food for thought for next year???
    Take care and I am sooooo glad there is someone else out there that is so interested in getting Awareness out there.
    This is great and Hi to all on the board, it is the best thing since sliced bread, I love it. Take care all. Cycie
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Cycie:

Sounds like you and your support group did a lot for the cause of FM. I am really impressed and thrilled that you got the word out. Also, it was great that that store was willing to let you set up a table there. Maybe that's something my support group could do for next year. Where are you from? You said "Aus" does this mean Australia?

Ellen
  11. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

i spent the day in surgery, then ICU but i told EVERYONE i came in contact with what the day was, Most said "whats fibromyalgia?" and i told them "now they are aware they can explore it".I think i introduced the term to alot of people who would have normally ignored the subject, though! hope the press comes out with major news, and jellie's bio's! I think they were glad to put me out just to shut me up! Hope others had a better day! I think i gave them all something to talk about while they were operating, though, so i may have done some good! Take care, Laurie