What in the world is happening?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onesmileymyley, Jan 22, 2003.

1. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

As most of you know I suffer from extreme rib pain on my left side of my side. It goes from the middle of my ribs to the bottom. Now those of you who suffer from the rib pain as well do you ever find that if you keep laying on your sore spots that it radiates? I know it hurt's to lay on the sore sides but in a weird way it feels good as well. I am wondering if I am just irritating it more then I should. The pain goes around my back and also down my front side. I know this probably makes no sense but I am trying to explain it the best I can.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

When I have that rib pain, I find that it hurts less if I don't lay on the side that is affected.
    I just wrap a heating pad around it. It seems the pressure from laying on it makes it hurt more, like putting pressure on a sore tooth, it feels good, but when you let the pressure off, it really throbs.

You are making sense, I have been there and tried both ways. Yes, the pain does seem to radiate, its best not to lay on it.

Also try putting a pillow between your knees, it does help with that pain that reaches the back.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Hi there. I too have rib pain, but it's there after I have slept for a few hours. It is all encompassing, meaning my whole rib cage hurts, from the front to the back, from the bottom all the way to the top. The only way I can avoid it is to sleep almost sitting up! I hate doing that! Normally, the pain subsides after I've been upright for a couple hours..
  4. onesmileymyley

How many of you get the pain in your hips when you only lie on them?
  5. onesmileymyley

Thank you for all your reply's. I am sad but glad that others experiance this as well
  6. Bratnut

Bratnut New Member

I suffer from the hip pain too and mentioned it to my PCP as an area of intense pain normally felt at night. She said it was from my body weight bearing down on that point. I'm thin so this isn't an overweight issue just a hyped-up pain sensory thing. My hip pain wakes me up often and is maddening since after I flip over and hopefully go back to sleep, it switches sides (obviously)and I'm awake again. Wish I could sleep on my back, but then who knows how my poor bum would be. :)

I'm pretty sure this is a common complaint with FM. Good luck.

Patricia
  7. Peashock

Peashock New Member

Onesmileymyley,
    Hello,
    I too suffer from terrible left rib pain that extends to my left side torso.. It is uubearable pain and just hurts so bad.. It just burns and feels like you have headache, but it is in your ribs and side--I do not have the pain on my right. Do you? Did your doctor send you for tests? It sounds like your pain is in the same spot as mine...
    [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2003]
  8. starstella

starstella New Member

because pressure on those areas refer pain to other areas. I have many which causes me to have pain in various areas of my body. The are part of myofacial pain syndrome which frequently goes along with FM. Devin Starynl's book and web site talks about this. Clair Davies, a physical therapist goes in to even more detail in "The trigger point manual"
    They are supposed to improve with pressure and massage but I'm still waiting for that to happen. I'm constantly using heat on my painful areas.
    onesmileymyley, you did a great job of describing it.
  9. Bambi

Bambi New Member

stops my rib pain as soon as I put it
    on. I have an elastic rib brace that
    you can make tighter or looser with
    velcro tabs. I don't know why it helps to squeeze the area, you'd think it would make it worse, but as
    soon as I put this brace on the pain
    stops. I would really recommend trying it at least. I also use heat
    pad at times or topical spray..but
    always end up back with the brace.
    Hugs,
    Bambi
  10. onesmileymyley

pea,,,,I never ever had any pain on my right side but I have had it for a few months now. I am also expecting so that could be why I have the pain on the right side. I have had tests and all have come out very normal. I know that their are major mucles that run down your sides and ribs.
    This pain to me is the worst and most scary....
    Thank you Star and Bambi[This Message was Edited on 03/16/2003]

[ advertisement ]