What In Your Living Space Do You Love??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I simply love the view out my bay window to the left of my desk. It's a wooded view and very peaceful. I've seen all types of wild life and one day looked up to see a deer not eight feet from me, peering in. What a thrill!

One early morning there, in a filtered shaft of light on the little hill, was a possum. He was sitting hunched like a little old man waiting for a bus, yawning. He sat there for quite awhile, obviously winding down from his night, getting ready for bed. One day a lady turkey went by in a hurry and it wasn't even November.

I love this place in my house.

Will you share yours with us?

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My DH built a porch along the entire front of our house (older mobile home). It is about 8 feet wide and covered.

Then he built a 3 foot high wall at the front edge and put a planter box down the whole length of the porch. He put siding on the wall and painted everything to match the house.

We planted pansies, violets, petunias, marigolds, salvia, and something else I can't think of right now. They are beautiful. That is all the flower bed I have now.

Two weeks ago he built a cedar porch swing that hangs from chains on the porch. This has become my favorite place and his, too. We put up a little sign that says "Every life needs it's own quiet place."

Last night there was a pair of pheasants in the driveway and we have quail running around all the time.

I'd like to be there right now but I'm at work and is 103 degrees out, so air conditioning is a good thing!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oh, I'm going to love this thread. I love hearing about houses and special places inside them. Your special places sound wonderful. (Darn it, I didn't write down the spelling of your screen name.... but it's you, you sweet young thang with the sweet kitties.)

I obviously read your profile and noted the comment about your tonsils. Ugh, yes, they can cause so many problems. I would run, not walk, to have them removed ASAP. I had mine out when I was 22 (my dad felt that, if we were born with it, we should keep it) when I left home and was amazed at how much better I felt. The ENT said that they, along with my adenoids, had been poisoning my body for years and I felt AWFUL all the time. I truly do believe that that time affected my immune system overall.

Best of luck with it all. And please give those sweet furbabies some pets for me.

Marta
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You must have been writing when I was.

As I read about your room with all the flowers in view I blessed your dear hubby. And a swing! How terrific!

I'd love being there too.

(From your comment before that had me whooping with laughter, you must have dogs.)

Marta
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have two dogs. Their pic is in my profile.

The Golden Retriever is Rey. He is watching Animal Planet on TV. He's 2 1/2 and I think he is wonderful!

Aster, my 9 year old lab, is looking out the window. She is much more down to earth than Rey!

I keep thinking I'm gonna have a third one! I sweep up enough dog hair to make another one almost everyday!

Rey is afraid of the swing and if I am in it he thinks he better get in my lap to protect me. So, if it's gonna be a quiet place he has to stay in the house!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

P.S. I really like this thread, too!
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

And I wasn't trying to get in the way of your research, believe me. It was just a way to see both sides of something. I hope I haven't offended you!

I'd like to know your favorite place, Wake.

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2006]
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yup, I looked at your profile after I'd written and saw the dear dog watching TV. My cats used to do that. Oliver liked Oprah for some reason and would sit on the bench I used for a coffee table in front of TV and watch for quite awhile.

No wonder you could make another dog! You have two big, shedding ones, don't you? No matter. They're wonderful.

Marta
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oh yes! I forgot about the sleeping thing. For sure you want a sleep study done. "If we can't sleep, we can't heal".

As for your heartbeat, I am not a doctor (she says, covering her rear end), but I too have what the doctor calls "an extra beat". I wore one of those Holter monitor things around for a day and a night.

Stress is The Worst.

Hugs,
    Marta
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

...with the lovely places you all are in and enjoying. It just goes to show you that we haven't lost our ability to appreciate good things.

Yes, I need something in my profile, like a picture of me since I no longer have my old cats. Since I'm feeling better maybe I can get my son to snap a shot. Then all I need to do is figure out how to get it up there!

Marta
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

We bought this house Xmas, and it had a really old dark kitchen, rusted out sink and checkered faded counters with aluminum edges.

We sanded down all the cabinets and have sort of faux finished them to look like pale ash. New hardware, new sink, and we built new counters in a marbley-looking laminate that was going cheap. We tiled the walls with renment tiles and had enough to do a really nice three color pattern with wide grout.

The insides of the doors I have painted scenes of country life so each time we open a cupboard we get a lift.

It has cost very little to do all of this and it is not quite finished but is looking so nice. Everyone loves it.
    It is my favorite place in the house, but we intend to do great things to each room. A lot of hard work mostly.

We call it whole house makeover for under $1,000.00-we always laugh at the shows where they make over a room for like $20,000-are they kidding!!!

I also love the yard.

Love Anne C
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Why am I not surprised that our nests have such similarity? Yours sounds much larger than mine now but my colors are cream, sage and a terra cotta that wanders into pink in the summer and more deep red in winter. On my screened porch I have two wildly chartreuse chairs next to an old wooden chicken cage. On top of that is a pot of tiny orange petunias, a purple, rust and chartruse coleus and large purple petunias; beside that, a robin's nest that I rescued when it fell in a storm.

My little den in the front of the house, away from the porch and my office at the back, has deep cream walls with deep coral to bright, sage and cream and is another favorite. It's a colorful little room with the TV in a small, sage cabinet and it gets used much more in winter than summer. The sofa is a sleeper so it's also a guest room for all those guests I never have. One can hope.

My bedroom is cream, sage, deep peach with a brass headboard, old bleached pine and a huge wicker chair.

I laughed at Iggy's blanket. I spent years bemoaning the unfortunate, uncoordinated, eventually piled and ugly blue and white throw that the cats loved so much. Of course I used it for the cats because I didn't like it in my rooms. Mistake! As you've found, once assigned, it is ever thus. Now the blue and white throw is clean and gently tucked into a bag in the basement. Who knows what it's next job will be? Obviously I haven't learned one thing! At some point I'll be sighing very patiently as another dear pet uses it against all decor odds, or so I hope.

Design, putting together a home to please the eye and the heart has been a passion of mine all my life. I remember when I was 10, solemnly walking a line of neighborhood children around our back yard, showing them where all the "rooms" were. I studied art and business in college, then used both in my own interior and structural design company for a time when my kids were at home. It wasn't a huge operation but I loved it and it paid the bills after the divorce. Before that I designed two houses that we then built from my floor plans and I love that part of it - still do. What's more, I always enjoyed seeing what I could do for the least amount of money once the basics were in place.

After my boys left home, so did I. I worked for a bank, then for a builder/property manager doing everything I enjoyed. (Oh! I know another post subject!) I designed a lot of his new homes, condos and ran his offices, hired and oversaw his staff, my staff. (He was so happy with me he moved his family to Florida where he bought an airline. I stayed behind and got sick...)

Enough of that! I loved every minute of it, except the getting sick part.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Gigi. Thanks for letting us into your lovely, peaceful home. It smells wonderful everywhere too.

Marta
  12. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

that are vibrant pinks , yellows, golds and profuse bloomers ( You have to try them . I planted from seeds easily .)

Inside : oil painting of a pastoral scene of cows near a river with a meadow

an antique chest circa 1860's made of mahogany with carved drawer pulls shaped like acorns ( and purchased on layaway at an antique mall for a reasonable price ) .

Pictures of my now grown daughters with ankle sox and bows in their long hair and snaggle tooth smiles .
  13. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

green comes next and I'm working into a bit of berry red.
    Those are the colors inside of my home.

My house is unusual. My 8 ft kitchen window has curtains that are made of wood and painted to look like real curtains. Most people think they are fabric.

I have french doors painted on each side of a five foot opening leading from my LR to my den.

I have 2 windows in my den that looked out to and enclosed area and was dark, so , on one I painted a book shelf along with pictures and things you would find on a book shelf. The other window I painted it to look as if you were looking out in the distance ona mountain scene complete with shadow box painted at the bottom.

I have a guest room with 3 walls painted like a gazebo. I even have a glass of tea and a book on a banister. I painted a field mouse in one corner , a rabbit among the liriope and a raccoon up in a tree. Haven't quite got it finished but I'll get there sometime.

But most people who come here love my porch and yard.
    I live in an older home , low, long ranch style, situated amid 3 wooded acres.

I have a branch that runs through the middle of my yard where birds and critters like to come.

My front yard is mostly greenery but I have a small water pond to one side and a cottage garden that sort of ambles around the yard. One small corner of my yard is all woodland flowers. things like jack in the pulpit,spiderwort,
    indian pinks,wild ginger and spreading vinca. All these are perennials. I have a walking trail around the border of the property.

Most important Is I live in the woods. I have enough lawn to feel open and enough trees to feel sheltered and cool.

So when company comes they don't give a hoot about the inside of my house. They just want a glass of tea and to sit on my porch and feel the cool air. Thats fine by me as you all know the days when we can't move because of pain and exhaustion. Maybe they won't notice I haven't dusted in a week. LOL

Hope you enjoy my mini tour.

Wren
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

My favorite spot is my super plush, comfy, oversized LazyBoy rocker/recliner. It has the best spot in our living room. I have the best view of the large screen TV, as well as out our picture window.

I watch all of the cars going up and down the road, as well as watch the animals run up and down the hill on the farm across the road. In the cool weather, there will always be deer running up the hillside.

There are an extensive amount of trees to look at through the window and I can also see my beautiful hanging ferns on my front porch.
  15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good morning, I must say that this thread is a wonderful one to wake up to first thing in the early morning. I am so impressed with all of you. You're so very creative, sensitive, in tune with nature and beauty.

Anxyx, I love liliput zinnias; in fact, I have some growing now that I, too, planted from seed. And I love the phrase "snaggle toothed smiles". All moms remember that look. It made me smile.

Wren, you're an artist! Right now I can't remember how to spell the rest of trompe ......etc. but it sounds as if you do it beautifully with much to inspire you in and around your home. Your birthday is this month; Happy Birthday!

jlh, that comfy chair sounds perfect for those days when that's all we can do. You have a nature view too. I love that we all seem to have a special appreciation for nature. Do you suppose it's our personalites or do you think this illness has slowed us down enough to see better?

I hope you all enjoy the blessings of this day,
    Marta

16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Cromwell, my dear, I don't think I commented yet on your house. I LOVE that you're so creative and that you've taken an old thing and made it loved and beautiful. That's my favorite thing to do. In all the designing I did professionally I liked it best when I could use what was existing and build on it, as you did. Good job.

dncnfingrs, a feng shui wall sounds like a wonderful idea. I love it. What comfort it must give you! And I'm very very impressed that you found a compromise with hubby and his pockets, too.

lovingheart, I know how it is to want to MOVE FORWARD but it sounds as if you're wisely enjoying the present as well. The best thing about what you said was the sight of Grandpa's house through your window.

These descriptions are giving me such a lot of joy. I hope they're doing the same for all of you.

Marta

17. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

my bed, pure and simple -- ideally with a doggie or kittie sleepinh there too for snuggling duites
  18. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Marta,
    Im so glad i can share my favourite part of my living space with you.
    I have a ground floor flat with a communal garden as there are 6 flats in my building.
    Outside is our garden & in it are so many different varities of flowers its so beautiful.
    All the flowers are very brightly coloured & there are various colours but they al blend so well.
    Im the only person who is at home the most & when its a lovely warm day i sit out there & admire the flowers & i thank god for creating such a beautiful part of my living space.
    Very gentle hugs ((((((((((((((((.
    Fibrolady37.
  19. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I hope this thread goes on forever - and then we'll all have to move and do it all over again. lol

onedaymagpie, aaaaahhhh, yes. A wonderful bed with a beloved pet to keep you cozy. I do miss that a lot. Lucky you.

Stormy, what a wonder is an old Victorian house! They have many secrets, don't they? I dearly love transoms, real ones, over doorways. And a screened porch for those times of musing. I see a new kitty picture in your profile today. :>) I bet they'll like the porch too.

Honora, my dear friend, how are you doing? Oh, I know you don't like to talk about that but I do think of you often.

So you're hot you poor girl. Mercy. The room sounds absolutely wonderful. I assume you have a sleeping room as well that's probably just as fascinating. Your things sound marvelous and as interesting as you are. What color is your dog?

fibrolady, a lovely garden to calm the spirit. How wonderful. Nature is the best tranquilizer.

We can't say we lack for beauty, can we? Just enough health.

Hugs to all, soft and harder; pick which one you'd like,
    Marta
  20. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I live so far out in the country and where I live, you can't even see the road. When I take a step out the door, there's no telling what I will see; one day, not expecting it, I opened my front door and about 12 deer scattered everywhere; it was unbelievable because I see them all of the time; up the driveway, in the yard, but never have I seen so many at once.

Was leaving out this morning and saw a wild turkey on the side of the road, not unusual at all, but when going by, I noticed about 6 or 8 babies on the side of the road; VERY glad I didn't hit them. That was unusual.

During the winter months, rabbits everywhere; and they don't even hop away unless you go toward them; and I have a cat and neice has 2 cats.

Squirrels everywhere, jumping from one tree to the other; cats trying to follow, LOL!

OK, favorite place in house is in my recliner, which I can see out the window AND the big TV screen; even have the computer next to that big TV, LOL!

Good post and wonderful homes to read about,

Thank you, Marta,

BlueSky555