What in your opinion causes Fibromyalgia ????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Just wondering what YOU thought causes fibromyalgia. I know drs. don't really know, but what are your thoughts? Just curious.
    Fibrobutterfly
  2. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I also feel that we were born with it. My mother, my aunt on my father;s side, adn my cousin on my mother's side all have been diagnosed. So I definatly had the predisposition for it. I think that stress and emotional hardships cause it to flare up. I also think that it is an auto-immune disorder as well as a extreme overload on the Nervous System.

Kathryn
  3. boomer4

boomer4 New Member

Too little sleep.
    Eating junk, junk, junk.
    Believing relationships & life should be like TV.
    Inactivity.
    Busy. Busy. Busy.
    Me. Me. Me.

Our modern culture is a petri dish for stress. I think that is the biggest factor, by far.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I believe, as do many researchers, that we have a genetic defect, or defects, which predispose us to our illnesses. Viruses may trigger our illnesses OR because we are ill, we may well be targets for pathogens of opportunity.

It was not a virus but a bacterium, or bacteria, which triggered my illnesses. I can, however, look back and recognize some hints of things to come clear back into childhood.

The fact that these illnesses tend to run in families, and that they affect mostly women, is further evidence that they are most likely genetic.

Love, Mikie

5. LorieV

LorieV New Member

I think stress definatley brings fibro out of us. I'm feel so terrible today. (back hurts, legs hurt, I have an ear-ache in left ear - just feel like crawling in a hole!) Forgive me friends, "I'm just having myself a little pitty party here." (even though I know it doesn't help any)
    God Bless U
    LorieV
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I think we are born with a more sensitive nature than most people and weaker endocrine glands, esp. the adrenals.
    This is why I think more women get it....We try to take care of a home and husband, which is a half-time job, raise kids, which is a full-time job, and have a career full-time besides. We are expected to have a home like Martha Stewart and look young and sexy all the time. In addition ,we live in a crazy society that bombards our senses with noise and stimuli, and rushes ever faster, expecting us to do, do, and do more, instead of just being. There is no time for our glands to recover from this constant stress. We are genetically too sensitive for this place and time period, and if we do not get off the treadmill soon enough, we will constantly be in a state of fight-or-flight arousal and our glands will start to fail, and start the cascade of Fibromyalgia.
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2003]
  7. CdnGirl

CdnGirl New Member

At first I was lead to believe that the onset of FM came from bacteria. Group A Strep (which can lead to the flesh eating disease). I left it unattending for 3 1/2 months BUT>>>>then I had surgery and when I woke up that was it. My life changed forever.

My Rhuemy, Dr. Reynolds at Toronto Western Hospital, educated me on my diagnosis as FM due to trauma. When reviewing my childhood, (falling out of trees, forts, car accident (concussion), then surgery where a disc in my TMJ was 'slipped', the Dr. says my brain finally said "ENOUGH' and something in my nervous system shut down.

I may have gotten through that trauma is I wasn't under a massive amount of stress (courtesy of an alcoholic husband).

So, Trauma and Stress are key factors and stress certainly is the constant that causes flare ups.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
  8. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

I believe there's a genetic factor, which is related to the central nervous system and the immune system. I have always had a poor immune system, and I would get colds and flus more often than other children. I think the central nervous system is involved because so many different symptoms can occur with FM. I'm not sure whether stress or trauma to the body through an injury/accident can trigger the onset of FM or whether it can remain somewhat dormant throughout the years and then show it's ugly face later on in life. Hopefully soon, doctors will be able to find out the exact cause and from there come up with effective treatments and/or cure.
  9. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I agree with you all. I think we're predisposed to it at birth and stress just builds up over many years and then WHAM! Our bodies just give up. Mine was not physical stress but emotional stress - certain events in my life and they just built up. It's not from my marriage, which is wonderful, but other things and the way I reacted to them. Maybe someone else wouldn't have reacted the way I did, but my system is sensitive and I couldn't take the overload. I don't know much about the viruses or bacteria. I haven't been "sick" in a few years - no colds, sore throats, etc. but I do know I don't react to stress very well. I also agree that the world is too stressful - too much noise, too much light, too much media. We need to turn off the garbage and take care of ourselves. Basically, this all just sucks!

Annette2
  10. think its some sort of virus, bacteria also . I also think we are born with it. But boy I do agree with you Klutzo Stress, and more stress, its like most of us are on a treadmill and can't get off. No one knows how to relax nowdays!
  11. spmary

spmary New Member

No one seems to know, but I'v had Legions' desease,Mono,possible Lyme desease, and the CFIDS caught up with me after a slight case of pneumonia, and having a lot of stress...Possible? Mary
  12. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

...S*T*R*E*S*S. All my life I've had strange maladies that the docs would be hard pressed to explain, but until '97 my symptoms weren't all that troublesome. Annoying but not disabling. In Sept of '97 I hurt my back at work. Went thru workman's comp (big mistake); their only consideration was to get me back to work ASAP to save money. Jan of '98 my mom was diagnosed with cancer, hubby lost his job and was out of work for a year. Mom died in Sept of '98, it was a horrific 9 months. '99 I had surgery on my shoulder. 2000 I fell and broke my pelvis. '01 back surgery that failed. '02 another failed back surgery. Little stressful, eh? And these are only the highlights!

Ever since about '98 I have had major symptoms, had to quit my job in Sept of '98 because of them. Somewhere on this board I saw the theory that stess can wear out the adrenal glands and then they go haywire. I'm convinced in my case, at least, that it's true. And add to the the equation that I've had a genetic tendency towards FM; well, there you go. It explains it in my case at least. That's my opinion, others may have a different theory, but this makes sense for me.
    Love and blessings
    Mar
  13. VWright64

VWright64 New Member

LACK OF RESTORATIVE SLEEP

The problem is finding out why you don't get it and fixing it. When I am able to manage my sleep I feel so much better. The sleep question: sleep apena, genetic, chemical imbalance, pyschological, brain stem damage. Just some of the possible answers to that question. I'm still searching for myself.
  14. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I agree with Kathryn, I believe fibro is an immune system and nervous system disorder. Hugs, Chelz.
  15. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I loved your description of this condition, so so true. Hugs, Chelz.
  16. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

My sense is that it is a neurological problem given recent studies with MRIs on pain and sleeping.

Because of problems with neuroepinephrine and possibly seratonin many of us do not get delta sleep (and have heightened experiences of anxiety and racing thoughts) which in turn produces more substance P in our spinal fluid and more sensitivity to pain not to mention a host of other health related issues since we cannot heal through sleep as most do.

Sleep is at the core of this and imbalanced brain chemistry is the source of that. What is the source of the imbalanced brain chemistry? I don't know for everyone.

In my case, nearly every single member of my family has neurological problems tied to neuroepiniphrine and seratonin (from OCD to depression). I thought I got off lucky, but as I find out now it simply seems to manifest itself as FM in me.

Aeryn
  17. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

My mom had breast cancer very young and took pretty good care of herself. My grandmother prob. had severe fm, never stressed herself, husband took care of everything.She never ate junk food,drank,smoked. Did have severe illness as child. They lived a very simple sorta ethnic life.

So I go to genetic, I used to thrive on being active loved it. I took contracts others would not touch because they thought it was too stressful, I liked multi task.(Gone now)

So I go back to the genetic thing,plus a physical illness,or major stressor/stress can push what ever we are genetic predispossed to over the edge. Heart/cancer etc.

I was not sick as a child or later until alittle tick changed my life. My x was a mental case that was my stress that made me go over the edge.

My sis has fm, very good life. Started with thyroid.

I feel it is the switch theory. It is complicated involving neurotramsmitters. Which we know so little about.

It doe`s explain why we drop things, stub our toes all the time, swallowing, pain always diff. Our wiring is messed up and our bodies are not get the right messages. Plus part endocrine.

If we could only get descent neuro/endocrinologist to get it.

Sleep is a prob. but I can have the best night of sleep and feel my worst. Or get none hardly and have a good day.

The lyme Guru I know, speaks all over the world. Her lab is most respected. Spoke with her the other day she is finding atleast 80% have lyme spirochete,that have fm/cfids. This includes Europe. So it is still all a mystery.

18. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I agree with schmulyon. I think it's that simple. Could be wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time. The "experts" sure cannot tell us. dolsgirl
  19. kellyann

kellyann New Member

It is thyroid related, at least it is for me.
    Hope you are all feeling well today!
    Kellyann
  20. vinetti23

vinetti23 New Member

I liked Boomer4's description. Very true - Modern culture definitely pushes the FM buttons. I think the disorder is grounded in basic "oversensitivity" that comes from genetics. I think fundamentally our genes are responsible for creating synapses that do not conatin enough GABA or other neurotransmitters (serotonin, etc...) Further, it may be the case that the threshold of activation in our neurons is way way too low. Basically, this means that our neurons will fire (and tell us we are in pain) for no reason bc their threshold of activation is very low. By analogy, it doesn't take much to scare a little cat, but try the same thing with a wolf and you're not gonna get a response...the same goes for our neurons vs. the neurons of normal ppl. This threshold has to be inborn.

The actual FM attacks and pain are triggered by some major stressor - usually lack of sleep IMO, accidents, or illness. Modern lifestyle which innundates our neurons with computer screens, TVs, cars, radios, emails, voice mails, rock music, and airplane engines does not help the already sensitive neurons. Furthermore, the additives, chemicals, and processing of our food combined with the pollutants in our enviornment creates issues with our already oversensitive nervous system. As if this were an allergy, we respond by having pain in the face of these stressors.

This is why I believe drugs like neurontin & klonopin work for some people. They raise the amount of GABA and lower the threshold of activation for neurons. Also, I think it's critical that FM patients get the right amount of sleep each night & are asleep at the right hours for their body. I think we are more sensitive to the effects of sleep deprivation & our bodies need more time to repair and regenerate the already low levels of critical neurotransmitters.

How's that ?